• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Welcome to the world of cycling

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For some this is an off season sport, for others, they are thinking about their two wheel passion 13 months out of the year. We will get the cycling threads moved over ASAP.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Phil! I won't be riding as much this summer but did get back out on my road bike this week and it felt awesome! Well, except for the recovery from not being on a saddle for 5ish months. Ouch.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Phil,

Some of us live in areas where the cycling season is ending unless you're on a dawn patrol. The light served terrain is getting to be pretty brutal from a heat perspective.

Gotta hang up the tires and find a spin class.

At least those visiting tourists are leaving...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I've heard of this cycling thing.....

P7020713.JPG

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^^ Sweet Steel! Love that collection it! How do you keep it all from drying out an cracking?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Hey Bill. You have an old lugged steel Colnago or DeRosa you want to part with?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Great looking bikes. Back in the late 70's I used to frequent a shop in Denver, the Spoke, IIRC, that sold DeRosa, Colnago, Masi, Bianchi, and many others. I couldn't even come close to affording one of their good bikes but i'd go in there and drool at them anyway. Someday I might find one in need of a good home and turn it into a fixie.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gerry, I'm actually not a big fan of the Italian stuff. I have a few and enjoy them but the American builders put them to shame in build quality.
If interested, have a look here for detail pix;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22219626@N08/sets/
That '85 Paramount is my bike (not the one in your photo)!
The color was called Neonorchid, it is where my online name came from! That I grow orchids had nothing to do with the online name, did influence the color choice for the frame, and that no one else had the color, or so I thought until I ran into an editor from Bicycling magazine riding one in the same color!

James

Out There
Instructor
I've heard of this cycling thing.....

View attachment 6061
Good Lord! Amazing.

I don't bike but I have an Austro-Daimler from around 1980. How is that bike considered? Last I used it was in Brooklyn nearly 20 yrs ago and I put fat non racing tires on it because I just wanted transport. I got the bike from a friend who got it new. He used it at one point to tour Scotland. I got rid of the panniers a long time ago unfortunately. He had two derailler and gear cluster setups for it. I think I still have the extra setup. I guess one was more for hills.

I know nothing about bikes and haven't looked at in years. As I remember it was quite a good bike. The shifter levers were hollowed out which I'd never seen before but I usually rode cheap schwinns or peugeot and had a fuji. In Brooklyn a guy collected them and wanted to buy it but it was worth more to me to keep it at the time as the offer wasn't much.

At this point it would need a full tear down and I haven't worked on a bike in so long I wouldn't know where to start. You guys know bikes, what do you think?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like @James, I am interested if my old bike was good or not. 1981 or so, Soma Competition. Tange double butted frame, Shimano 600EX group and a Brookes (type) leather saddle and weighed a svelt 25lb. The bike was black with red cables and accents. IIRC, it was about $350 in 1980 money.

Looked like this:
Soma001.jpg

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was in that business for a long time back in the 80's/early 90's. So I have a jaded point of view. I mean, yeah, you can restore them. Whether it's worth it is entirely up to you. Some are worth real money these days so you may have a collectible on your hands. But honestly, new bikes have some huge improvements. I try not to get caught up in these things because it's very often an emotional argument. Follow your heart..if it makes you happy, go for it. To me bikes are just hammers..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was in that business for a long time back in the 80's/early 90's. So I have a jaded point of view. I mean, yeah, you can restore them. Whether it's worth it is entirely up to you. Some are worth real money these days so you may have a collectible on your hands. But honestly, new bikes skis have some huge improvements. I try not to get caught up in these things because it's very often an emotional argument. Follow your heart..if it makes you happy, go for it. To me bikes skis are just hammers..

FIFY? :duck:

Personally, I love it. Bikes, skis, audio, cars, music..the late 70's early 80's were my impressionable youth and I won't let it go.​

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
<still looking for a 3 Rensho, a Tesch and would consider a Gangl.

I've done the Italian and french thing to death with Bianchi, Cinelli, Tortellini and Colnago.

For heritage's sake a Proteus or Strawberry.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

FIFY? :duck:

Personally, I love it. Bikes, skis, audio, cars, music..the late 70's early 80's were my impressionable youth and I won't let it go.​

Yeah, it's totally the same thing. You know how some people have the "220's were the best..I could ski powder with those things..if you can't do moguls on 220's you suck.." attitude. Same with bikes. I had to endure the fixie hipster doofus craze..people telling ME, of all people, how great fixies are! Like, knock yourself out, but they are a limited form of transport! Especially when they don't want to put brakes on them because that's uncool. Like, serious? LIke I say, religion..don't try to go against the church of fixie..

Oh, and I'm not being negative about the vintage thing. Like I say, if it makes you happy, great! :) But there is always more than one viewpoint.

James

Out There
Instructor
Haha fixies. But they make so much sense in Manhattan...Goodness, SF must be a nightmare on a fixie. Do people actually use them on hills?
If I recall back then I think you could have one brake like if you actually worked in it and needed to...uh stop quickly for deliveries. But I may be wrong. It always seemed moronic to me but I never attended bike church. I guess if you actually were a messenger maybe. Even Manhattan has hills though.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@cantunamunch
"still looking for a 3 Rensho, a Tesch and would consider a Gangl."

Did you see my Tesch built Team Specialized from 1986? He was hired to make a run of 100 but only wound up building about 65 frames. Mine is #41

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@cantunamunch
"For heritage's sake a Proteus or Strawberry."

Mark DiNucci is building again and he does some amazing work. Have met him down @ Cirque in Leesburg, VA and he even did a tech talk about his build perspective. He is on my list for a frame when the right one comes along!

Sponsor

Staff online