• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A good friend of mine is a nutritionist. He is helping me with my fitness and weight goals. He told me that grinding up fruit destroys the fibers and allows the sugars to be releases into the bloodstream faster, thus generating an insulin spike. (This is my understanding of what he told me so it may be off). He encourage me to eat fruit in whole form and simply make a protein shake with protein and almond milk.

I thought I was putting fruit into the smoothie was a good thing but apparently not.
This is really good information. Thanks for sharing that.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its been a while since I've checked in here and I'm still bouncing back and forth between 137-140.
Its been so hot here I haven't been riding much. (only about once a week) Hiking has been non existent and Gypsy's walks have been early in the morning and short because she had a paw injury....well, and its hot!

I've had my occasional indulgence but have been pretty good about staying on track.
It just feels like I keep having to hit reset these past few months.
Mostly I need to amp up my activity like I did last summer.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Same desk here. 125 is the sweet spot but It flipping back and dirty between 127 and 129. Truthfully, with quarantine and ... all that it implies ... I’m “somewhat” ok with that. I’d rather be gaining weight from restaurant food and parties!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m “somewhat” ok with that.
Me too. I just don't want it to be my new acceptance level. That's how I got to 150 lbs. ...Just a few pounds is okay, right?? ...until a few lbs was 15 or 20 lbs.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was gonna give you ladies crap about a few pounds ... but understand the idea of a few pounds compounding faster than the current bank interest rates.

yeah, sometimes a quick fast can kick things back to your desired normal.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Was gonna give you ladies crap about a few pounds ... but understand the idea of a few pounds compounding faster than the current bank interest rates.

yeah, sometimes a quick fast can kick things back to your desired normal.
Yeah, I'm with ya. Its not the couple lbs or the extra inch, its the 15 lbs and needing to get two pant sizes bigger which is where I will end up if I give in to the gradual 2 lbs.

I think my biggest issue is that I haven't been as active as I was last summer. Some of it is Gypsy's paw injury and part of it is the heat, plus the famale friend that has been riding with me regulalry is the head of a lab for Tahoe Forest, and she's been overwhelmed at work because.....Covid.

I just need to get motivated to get out for early rides or get motivated to go to higher elevation.
@Philpug is a beast. He'll go for a ride up Peavine mid afternoon.
The one thing that is super clear is that I won't allow myself to get back to the way I felt last year before I joined WW.

That being said, I'm going for a ride this morning with Phil and some friends from the neighborhood. With any luck, this will be the jumpstart I needed.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nutrition is always offered with vaguness. Most typical is the term eating clean. Everyone has a different understanding of clean. I had a bounce after my last effort with Keto. I lost 14 lbs but in the end it was 8 that I had to settle on.

The fast is one of those nutrition terms. Intermittant fasting is easy. But the key to eating clean and fasting is planning. When I get hungry, all bets are off. All that I need is a general idea of what I should eat and then just prepare that.

Covid is still adveresly affecting my conditioning and how I eat. The season is getting closer and I don't think it would be safe to ski right now. Lazy

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@no edge I know you've been dealing with more than one variable in your overall health and there is so much about fitness, food and excercise that can be a part of the equation.
WW has really been working for me on the bigger picture, and this thread has been helpful as a support system.
Honestly, with all the changes in our life over the past several months I'm OK with the handfull of pounds I've put on but I'm also on alert to net let it get out of hand and end up where I started a year ago.

I ended up getting out for a ride today that was longer than usual, nearly 3 hrs of actual ride time, and it was on some pretty challenging terrain. I feel so much better mentally and am claiming it as a pretty solid victory in my day.

Cheers to good physical and mental well being for all of us! :toast

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
@no edge

WW has really been working for me on the bigger picture, and this thread has been helpful as a support system.

One of the aspects of WW that I liked, when I was doing it, was the meetings. A bunch of friends joined more or less together. The guys sat in the back. Our coach was really good and she made the meetings worth coming to. The men in the group were quite well behaved compared their normal self. The boys in the back did quite well but I drifted and gained back a lot. I went over to Crossfit and we had our eating meetings before the WOD. It was irreverent, inaprropriate and full of athletes who were unteachable. But it was fun and my background from WW helped. Lots of young people and some in the group really needed to knock off some weight.

Right now I am struggling with the idea of maintaining the correct weight and what that might be. This is especially true since I am so behind on my conditioning. These threads help.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m back fresh from my oldest son’s wedding last weekend trying to get things back under control. It was a great week with lots of parties and dinners all week topped off by the wedding and reception on Saturday evening. I started off by trying to still track and be picky and finally just decided to enjoy myself, to the tune of +4 pounds gained since last Monday. I have a lot to make up for this week!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m back fresh from my oldest son’s wedding last weekend trying to get things back under control. It was a great week with lots of parties and dinners all week topped off by the wedding and reception on Saturday evening. I started off by trying to still track and be picky and finally just decided to enjoy myself, to the tune of +4 pounds gained since last Monday. I have a lot to make up for this week!
Sounds like an enjoyable +4

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been staying on track for the most part by a combination of walking the dog, a weekly long hike, and a daily ride to nowhere on my exercise bike. Now my oldest daughter (and hiking buddy) is self-isolating in the basement (where the exercise bike is) for another week. My youngest just moved out, and took the dog (and walking buddy) with them. I keep checking to see if my local studio is open again for an in-person weigh in. In person meetings would also be nice, but I really miss the accountability of weighing in on a calibrated scale. I'm thinking a new dog is a necessity.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been staying on track for the most part by a combination of walking the dog, a weekly long hike, and a daily ride to nowhere on my exercise bike. Now my oldest daughter (and hiking buddy) is self-isolating in the basement (where the exercise bike is) for another week. My youngest just moved out, and took the dog (and walking buddy) with them. I keep checking to see if my local studio is open again for an in-person weigh in. In person meetings would also be nice, but I really miss the accountability of weighing in on a calibrated scale. I'm thinking a new dog is a necessity.
Funny you should post this as we went for a 5 mile hike with Gypsy today and it was incredibly good for my mind, body and soul.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny that this thread has come to life recently. My diet buddy and I just started an effort to lose the Covid 5 (or 6 or 7!) Today is the second day and it's a real challenge.

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

Sponsor

Staff online