• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wearing two different boots for my two different ankles?

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I've mentioned it before so I'll keep it short but I had my right ankle fused (joint removed and tibia screwed to talus) in April and I'm prepping for next ski season. Now that it's healing, the good news is that getting in and out of a 2 piece isn't quite as difficult as I thought it would be and the pain is way down from before surgery so I should be able to turn the dial up this year. The bad news is that after 3 surgeries over the past few 3 years, so much new bone has deposited around the injured area (lower tibia) that my once skinny/low volume ankle is now really high volume on my right side so I need two totally different volumes for each foot. I've been using RS 130 wide boots that I absolutely love and may continue to wear on my left foot but putting it on my right, the cuff is bulging to where I can hardly even get it to close on the loosest setting.

My feet are the same all the way from toes to the instep (measured around the arch). Then from just above the arch my right ankle starts to expand to where measuring from back of heal, around the instep to the back of heal on the other side there is a difference of 1" (11" on left/12" on right) and around the malleolus' there is a 1.5" difference (10.5" left/12" right). 2" above malls .75" difference (9" left/9.75" right), 4" above malls .25" (9.25" left/9.5" right) and then 5" above malls my upper ankle and calves are equally skinny. Basically, my bad ankle looks just like a bad sprain where you have kind of a soft ball around the ankle joint only mine isn't just inflammation but calcification of the bone when it healed.

What 130 or stiffer boots have the most volume around the ankle but without having giant volume in the calves as mine are really skinny so my calves generally swim in high volume boots? Would a Lange SX 130 be a decent option and would the flex likely be similar to the RS 130 on my good foot?

Or, would it make sense to go up a size in the RS 130 because I almost did that 2 seasons ago when my bad ankle was bigger but not as big, but didn't because the 28.5 RS 130 had too much volume at the time compared to the less than 1cm performance fit in my 27.5? Other than remounting one of the bindings on each pair of skis, is there any downside to wearing 2 different size boots because that would probably give me the best flex compatibility vs wearing two different models or brands. Not a boot question but can all of the holes be redrilled .5cm apart from previous ones or is that not enough space if old holes are filled with epoxy or whatever?

I'm thinking of making a trip out to Colorado in the next few weeks to shop for boots but would like to get some ideas of what to look for. Thanks!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
My DH had his ankle fused too. The bootfitter did a lot of adjustments for him. I remember the ankle bone area being blown out. A heel lift installed as he couldn't bend the ankle as he could rise up on his toes.

So bootfitter to adjust anything.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh yeah, I'll be spending a lot of time at a boot fitter when I get out to Colorado in January. That's a given as this whole season will be dialing in boots and relearning how to ski without any ROM. The more I think back to the 28.5 RS 130 I tried on, the more I'm thinking that may be my answer as I have such a tight race fit on that right foot that there is just no room in my 27.5 which is why I lost that toe nail last season even when I had slightly more room than I do now.

1. Other than remounting bindings, what is the downside of wearing a 28.5 on one foot and a 27.5 on the other? I almost went that route prior to the fusion but didn't want to buy 2 pairs of boots at the time but now it seems like the obvious choice to keep the same flex characteristics.

2. Can I use a 27.5 Zipfit in a 28.5 shell? One of the problems in my 27.5 is now that I have more volume in my ankle it pushes my foot further out of the heal pocket so when I slip on my zipfit into my current shells, my toes are now so crunched that it feels like I'm in a 26.5 shell even though the Zipfit is the right size for my foot. This makes me think a 28.5 shell on that foot may be the ticket.

Last edited:

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
The more I think back to the 28.5 RS 130 I tried on, the more I'm thinking that may be my answer as I have such a tight race fit on that right foot that there is just no room in my 27.5 which is why I lost that toe nail last season even when I had slightly more room than I do now.

Ow - If you lost a nail, that fit ain't right.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, when I first bought them it took a good bit of work with my boot fitter to get them comfortable to where I debated between 28.5 and 27.5 because 28.5 was the better choice for my bigger foot and bad ankle but my healthy foot was swimming in the 28.5. With enough work we blew out the 27.5 and they were great for spring of 2017. By last season there was enough shenanigans going on inside my bad ankle that they just kept getting tighter and now it's like they are a full size smaller. I really like the performance and flex of these Langes so I think I'm going to order a pair of matching 28.5 and wear a different size on each foot. That's not totally foolish is it? Bummer to remount 3 pairs of skis on one side but I just don't see how I'll find a pair of boots that fit both feet well and perform the same unless I get the same boot but in 2 different sizes.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
IIRC some fitters are working right now but others (specially the ones at the ski resorts) dont start until Oct/Nov. Call ahead. There are some GREAT deals going on right now on ski gear.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Scarpa Freedom series AT crossover beef boot by design has a very wide shell fit around the ankle with a very thick liner to fill the ankle/heel cup of the shell. I have to wonder if the boot could work for you with either a thin intuition liner for the fused ankle or having a bootfitter remove material from the stock liner?
https://www.scarpa.com/freedom-sl-120-women-s

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Sounds like you should visit DaleBoot in SLC. They build each boot to fit each foot. I have a pair and they ski better than anything I've ever worn!

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes, I talked to them a few months back and they were very helpful. One concern was if any of their models would be stiff enough. The other issue is that I'll be based in Colorado this winter and will most likely be making frequent tweaks and visits to the fitter trying out all types of things to get my angles and balance as good as can be given my lack of ROM in that ankle. I've set the bar fairly low opting for just a Loveland pass (one of my favorite places anyway) which is close to the house we rented in Georgetown so I can ski frequent but shorter days, with regular visits to the fitter to try stuff out. We put our Ikon USA tour on hold until next year so that I can spend this one getting my boots figured out. I'd really need to be based in SLC this season if I was to go the Dale route as I just don't know how hard it will be to get it sorted out. It's going to be a fun process, though humbling at times.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
That sounds like a great plan. I coach kids at a tiny local hill and have the run of the place. It's 15 minutes away so I can try something with a boot and if it doesn't work, come home and tweak it and go back and try it again several times a day. Sometimes that's what it takes, even for a relatively "normal" fit. Sounds like your challenges are steep, but I bet you can get there with persistence.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Yes, I talked to them a few months back and they were very helpful. One concern was if any of their models would be stiff enough. The other issue is that I'll be based in Colorado this winter and will most likely be making frequent tweaks and visits to the fitter trying out all types of things to get my angles and balance as good as can be given my lack of ROM in that ankle. I've set the bar fairly low opting for just a Loveland pass (one of my favorite places anyway) which is close to the house we rented in Georgetown so I can ski frequent but shorter days, with regular visits to the fitter to try stuff out. We put our Ikon USA tour on hold until next year so that I can spend this one getting my boots figured out. I'd really need to be based in SLC this season if I was to go the Dale route as I just don't know how hard it will be to get it sorted out. It's going to be a fun process, though humbling at times.
I totally get that as I have usually spent 1.5 years tweaking my boots to get a decent fit. Being in Michigan with no DaleBoot shop within a 15 hour drive I was very apprehensive. But after my 1st visit to the SLC store (it takes 2 visits) I 2ad so impressed I pulled the trigger. After 4+ seasons I have not had to have them tweaked at all.

And they do have a model that's rated at a 130 flex. If you're in CO you're close enough for the 2 trips! And just in case there are a few DaleBoot shops in CO.

I have 5E width feet with skinny ankles & heels, large calves, high arches and high insteps. Even after 1-2 years of boot fitting per boot at a dozen different fitters in MI & CO I've never had a boot this good and can leave it buckled all day!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ditto on Daleboot; I'm very pleased with mine.

TS
surfandski

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dale is definitely on my radar and if I'm just not having success I will certainly make that trip and have a reason to ski some UT slopes. What liners did you end up going with in your Dales? I mentioned I have some Zipfits and they said, sure we can use those. So all of their customization must be in the shells themselves and then they have various options for liners. I planned to try a few different boots with 2 different fitters to simultaneously experiment with different things and different perspectives so maybe I should get some Dales regardless. Part of my issue will be getting the boots to fit but I think the bigger experiment will be working with ramp angles, shims and binding deltas to find the best angle to lock out my ankle since there is very little ROM.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Mine came with Intuitions. They heat-molded them and the fit was good; I may need remolding after breaking my left ankle in January, but I tried the boot on today for the first time since, and it seemed ok. Definitely skiable until I can get to a Dale shop somewhere.

Sponsor