• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wax scraping base

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I leave the wax on the skis sitting in the utility room (which is warm even though the pipes have foam around them) so that they cool slowly. Once they are cooled (which I prefer to do overnight but at least for an hour), I scrape until barely any wax is coming off as I don't want it clogging up my brushes. The wax hardness and how thick you laid it on and whether or not you ran Fiberlene a pass or two on it prior to cooling, how sharp your scraper is, all that stuff affects how much scraping you are doing.

If I'm using CH3 or 4 (hard waxes) I'll be actually doing a light scrape before I set it to cooling and rewarming slightly before running the Fiberlene down it and setting it aside because it can be tough to run that Fiberlene pass with a super hard wax. Then I'll rewarm the wax again slightly after it's done cooling before scraping it because it just makes it easier.

I use rotobrushes alternating with hand brushes and I don't want any of them getting gunked up with wax. I've seen various people talking about how to clean the wax out of brushes. It sounds like a pain and can be pretty much avoided.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those who scrape, how long till it's done and you're ready to brush? I know this depends on the wax, but what sort of range are we talking? And are you literally scraping till nothing comes off and then brushing? Scraping videos all seem to show a pass or two and skip to brushing before the viewers switch off, so any info would be appreciated here.

Would be also interested to know how well the fiberlene method works with the hardest waxes.

@Primoz , and other race techs I've read, talk about leaving wax on in a warm environment for a couple of hours before scraping. I know they're prepping for a different level of skier, but if you're doing a race ski, you might as well do it thoroughly. Does the ski need to have a thicker layer for a wait of several hours to be worthwhile, or does the fiberlene method leave sufficient wax around for the levels of absorption these guys are aiming for?

Thanks.

After ironing on the wax, I use couple passes with Swix fiberlene pro to soak up the wax. I like Swix fiberlene pro over regular fiberlene since the pro is thicker and will pick up more wax without increasing heat like a shop towel. There is always enough wax left on the skis for scraping afterward. I would say more than enough to saturate the base.

I scrape until no more wax comes off the bottom of the ski.

About allowing the wax to cure. Somewhere along the line, I remembered a Toko rep on youtube saying the wax will take 3 hours to properly cure. So I usually leave the skis overnight for the wax to cure before proceeding further. The minimum cure time is three hours.

If pressed for time, I'll use another type of wax. Such as spray on, wipe on, liquid (brush on), crayon followed with cork. Roto-brushing to finish.

Sponsor

Staff online