• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vehicle dilemma

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@djetok, ticking to what you actually asked about.......I'd choose the Macan out of those on your list.

But, if you want to avoid a bit of "badge envy" consider the Audi SQ5.

Damn near identical cars. Significantly cheaper upkeep on the Audi, and its utility is less compromised than the Macan (more upright rear window, etc.).

You really DON'T want to pay for the 80,000 mile Macan service.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
@djetok, ticking to what you actually asked about.......I'd choose the Macan out of those on your list.

Damn near identical cars. Significantly cheaper upkeep on the Audi, and its utility is less compromised than the Macan (more upright rear window, etc.).

Thank you for the constructive comments.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Sorry, but while the basic platform may be the same , there is abolutely no comparison in the driving experience and dynamics. The Macan is light years ahead of the Audi. Terrific driving machine, my wife had the Macan Turbo (since replaced with an X5M). The only issue is that it gets difficult to find enough clear road where you can get it anywhere near pushing it, it drives basically on rails. And I think it would be quite tight to get a 6 foot step ladder in it - it is not the most spacious interior, the Audi would definitely have an advantage there

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Problem solved. Buying a 2020 f150 roush nitemare
Hmmmm...
2020-f150-nitemare-agateblack.png

Seems a little too warm and fuzzy. ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Problem solved. Buying a 2020 f150 roush nitemare

American V8 FTW!!!

A good friend's wife has a Roush. Not sure of the model name. It's a blast, but it is NOT quiet!

She bought it in Moab, where IIRC, the dealer claimed that they were the #1 Roush pickup dealer?!

Seemed unlikely, but they did have 3 or 4 on the lot.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
American V8 FTW!!!

A good friend's wife has a Roush. Not sure of the model name. It's a blast, but it is NOT quiet!

She bought it in Moab, where IIRC, the dealer claimed that they were the #1 Roush pickup dealer?!

it will set you back in the seat that is for sure. It is loud , louder and loudest with adaptable exhaust. They basically have two pipes off the muffler with a cutoff valve that you can change pipes or adjust the sound with the app on your phone.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Sorry, but while the basic platform may be the same , there is abolutely no comparison in the driving experience and dynamics. The Macan is light years ahead of the Audi. Terrific driving machine, my wife had the Macan Turbo (since replaced with an X5M). The only issue is that it gets difficult to find enough clear road where you can get it anywhere near pushing it, it drives basically on rails. And I think it would be quite tight to get a 6 foot step ladder in it - it is not the most spacious interior, the Audi would definitely have an advantage there
well the ladder did not fit safely, you were absolutely right. Thanks for the insight.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you can afford the cars mentioned in this thread you can afford to go retro with a crate engine for performance AND keep these on the road:
1594935969354.png

1594936045910.png

They don't handle the best (even with good tires); the truck is too light in the rear and the wagon is too heavy and has too much built in understeer). However, everybody needs a challenge. ogsmile

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Moab makes sense for Roush as they have several kick butt off-road models. Very çool getting modded vehicles from a dealer with a warranty.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
American V8 FTW!!!

it will set you back in the seat that is for sure. It is loud , louder and loudest with adaptable exhaust. They basically have two pipes off the muffler with a cutoff valve that you can change pipes or adjust the sound with the app on your phone.

Its funny how your requirements tend to change a bit over time. I have had a pretty wide range of performance vehicles over th last 40+ years - quattros, STIs, 911, Macan Turbo, RS Fords, GTIs, GTEs, Boxster etc. Last year I was all set to swap my 16 F150 for a new F150 Raptor. Had a very good deal lined up and the dealer was just waiting for the OK to load it on the transporter for delivery. Just to confirm, i went for a test drive in one......well, WTF!.....it was rough and noisy...(and my dog hated it!). I would not have believed it! No way I would want to do 1000 miles - or even 500 - in a single shot like i could in my 16 (which was set up well with Bilsteins etc).. I was pretty crushed because I liked everything else about it but had to admit I could not live with it:( am I turning into an old fa**? But it just didn't work for me. And going from sublime to ridiculous I ended up getting a F150 Platinum diesel instead a few weeks later! A lot more usable for what i want, still reasonably quick and now with Bilsteins all round and a few other tweaks still fun to drive.

Looking at the Roush spec, nice to see that the suspension is lowered - that wa son of my concerns with the Raptor, all the performance suspension for it was for off-road. I couldn't find any options to lower it and optimize for pavement use .

Anyway, hope you enjoy OP!

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I ended up going a different direction. I just did not want a truck. I have had a truck since I was 14 years old (49 now). I ended up with a BMW X2m35i . A 6 ft step ladder fit in it, also a little giant 18 ft reach fits as well. I loaded it up with both ladders and the equipment to do a pretty decent size misting job on Monday. It worked out well using it. We drove by it as we were test driving a x3m. I ended up giving 45k for a fully loaded out 55k stickered one. Now , I am personal truck less. I still have my work trucks if I need to move something. Its quick, it has the storage space and I can get 31 mpg on the highway.
IMG_0731.jpg
FullSizeR(2).jpg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Beauty!

But I do miss the inline 6 and rear drive platform of the oriiginal X1........

Times change.

Sponsor

Staff online