• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Vehicle dilemma

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
I am on the hunt for a unicorn it seems. I sold my boat to a guy from Chicago yesterday. Sad to see it go, but with the current situation on outdoor activities. Our lake is so crowded, its not even fun anymore. We just basically have to sit. Yamaha did not get to make a full line up this model year. So boat prices are stupid. I sold it for 2k less than I paid for it new 5 years ago. So anyways, I am on the hunt for something I can put a passenger in the front seat while a ladder is in the back. We recently just bought back a company that we had owned years ago. I also own a trucking company. As much as I would love to purchase euro rig. The new business is a high pressure misting business, so that is why it needs to be able to haul a ladder. The ladder has to be light, it gets moved a lot. I really am tired of driving a truck, so the last couple of years I have been driving my Lincoln MKZ 3.0 AWD. Its a blast to drive, but I have a kid that is about to turn 16 yo and they get the 400 hp awd Lincoln to drive. Oh and I want to be able to fit in the garage better. My truck fits with the Grand Cherokee in the garage.

I like fun , and fast. It has to be practical and haul 4 adults at least.

Leading candidate

2019 certified Porsche Macan GTS -- Hesitating because of maintenance costs and size
Jeep GC SRT -- gas mileage
BMW X3 M40i -- size

My current vehicle stock
2018 F150 super crew -- wanting to trade
2017 Lincoln MKZ awd 3.0 -- 16 yo gets in Fed
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wifes)

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Really, a 16 yo new driver with a 400hp suv. WOW, what could go wrong?
Thanks for the thoughts of her safety. I am not worried about her , but her boyfriend. Believe me, the thoughts of the power to car has been thought of before we decided on the car. Most cars now days have high hp anyways days. This car has every safety option that you can get.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first vehicle was an RZ500.. :roflmao:
Glad you are still with us.

Super sad story last week about a 20 yr old one day after buying a Ninja:

Edit: I think I'll be looking for a Prius when our kids turn 16. Al Gore's son still got busted going 100 mph in his Prius. It's amazing I survived a 71 hp Rabbit when I turned 16.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with all the comments about not giving your 16 year-old a fast car. But it's your business.
But speaking of business... do you really want to show up for a business call in a Porsche? First impressions matter, and that kind of car sends (to me) all the wrong messages.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The only fun car I drove when I was a teenager was the Wankel-engined Mazda RX-3 the car dealer gave us as a loaner while my Mom's car was being fixed. That was before the speed limits dropped to 55, too.

It's probably not even that fast a car, but compared to our Plymouth Duster, wow!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am on the hunt for something I can put a passenger in the front seat while a ladder is in the back.
Are you thinking the latter will go inside the vehicle with the rear seats folded down?

If so, how about a sporty sedan with a hatchback like the Kia Stinger:

f1d8d1d0-1b46-11e9-badb-6bda8f02cf4b.jpeg

The Stinger is a nice looking well-reviewed car with a great warranty. You just have to get past the Kia badge. Doug DeMuro did and bought one for his daily driver:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Along the same lines but even faster and with a nicer badge is the sweet Audi RS5 Sportback:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Toyota Highlander. Bulletproof. Not too ostentatious when you show up at a job.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Are you thinking the latter will go inside the vehicle with the rear seats folded down?

If so, how about a sporty sedan with a hatchback like the Kia Stinger:

View attachment 106333

The Stinger is a nice looking well-reviewed car with a great warranty. You just have to get past the Kia badge. Doug DeMuro did and bought one for his daily driver:

I had thought the stinger. Kind of a weird option, I test drove a bmw x2m35i earlier. It was a little on the slower side of what I want. A 6 foot step ladder fit. No one is riding in the front seat. It was all the way forward

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Agree with all the comments about not giving your 16 year-old a fast car. But it's your business.
But speaking of business... do you really want to show up for a business call in a Porsche? First impressions matter, and that kind of car sends (to me) all the wrong messages.
I get the fast car comment. Kids can get in trouble in anything. Its about how you teach them. This will be kid #3 with their license. We have done great so far. The porsche comment confuses me. Is it because its a porsche, thats its precieved as expensive? It is less expensive than my 70k dollar truck.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Keep the Lincoln for yourself, get a Little Giant ladder that folds up short and the youngster drives the F150. PM me so you can send me half the money you just saved!:ogbiggrin:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure of the car you want/need, I’m a Subaru Outback type. I have a Crosstrek right now.

For ladders, I recommend an Xtend and Climb. They have models that reach 19.5 feet. I have two of them that I used in my Building and Home Inspection business. Good ladders, easy to carry, easy to set up. They fit in the back of a car with no sweat.

TS
djetok

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Keep the Lincoln for yourself, get a Little Giant ladder that folds up short and the youngster drives the F150. PM me so you can send me half the money you just saved!:ogbiggrin:
I had little giant years ago. Way too heavy to move it 60 times in one install over 3 hours. Most of the jobs we only have to reach 8 foot and restaurants the mist is typically 10 feet high.
Not sure of the car you want/need, I’m a Subaru Outback type. I have a Crosstrek right now.

For ladders, I recommend an Xtend and Climb. They have models that reach 19.5 feet. I have two of them that I used in my Building and Home Inspection business. Good ladders, easy to carry, easy to set up. They fit in the back of a car with no sweat.

I will look into the ladder thanks. I wish that would work. Most of are installs are like this one that we did at a frank Lloyd Wright building in Bartlesville.
FB_IMG_1594787039325.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I get the fast car comment. Kids can get in trouble in anything. Its about how you teach them. This will be kid #3 with their license. We have done great so far. The porsche comment confuses me. Is it because its a porsche, thats its precieved as expensive? It is less expensive than my 70k dollar truck.

Truck = perceived blue collar
Euro sports car = perceived "money to burn"

Now if your truck was the full Raptor package you might have the same problem

Sponsor