• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
The new ski in this category that is a disappointment to me is the new Rossignol Experience 88Ti, new shape is a little better off piste, but really lacks torsional stiffness to hold an edge on firm, steep surfaces.

This review surprises me, because the '19 line of Experience skis adds a vertical strip of Titanal down the middle, which I just assumed would make them heavier and stiffer.

Personally I don't like the introduction of metal in the Experience line of skis. What I loved about the '18 Exp 84 for example, is how light and relatively flexible it is, with it's Paulownia wood core and Carbon Alloy Matrix. Strong enough to rail some carved turns, but super light under foot so you don't get those tired legs like when skiing on two sheets of metal type skis.

It looks like they adopted more of the Soul 7 freeride kind of tip into the '19 Experience line as well.

Anyway, I'm not surprised the new '19 Experience line is a disappointment to you, I'm just surprised that it's due to stiffness given the changes they made.

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Construction of the new Experience is interesting. Yes, they did add metal, but just one, narrow, vertically oriented strip in the middle of the tip and tail of the ski. This does add longtitudinal stiffness to the ski, but doesn't do much for the torsional stiffness in the widest parts of the ski (tips and tails). In addition, Rossignol chose to go with a synthetic core instead of wood. The description of said core is vague at best. What I "experienced" with the new E88 was a "twisting out" due to less torsional support in the tips and tails. This occurred on steep, relatively hard snow, with high stress input. Admittedly, it's not really fair to expect the Experience 88 to hold up like a race ski on hard snow, so maybe it really isn't that important to the success of the model. It is much improved off piste, and does fine in softer snow, and at moderate edge angles and speed. it will probably be very successful for Rossi, but doesn't have the top end like a Monster 88, Brahma, Pro Mtn 86, etc.

YolkyPalky

Old-School "Skinny Ski" Bump Skier
Skier
Construction of the new Experience is interesting. Yes, they did add metal, but just one, narrow, vertically oriented strip in the middle of the tip and tail of the ski. This does add longtitudinal stiffness to the ski, but doesn't do much for the torsional stiffness in the widest parts of the ski (tips and tails). In addition, Rossignol chose to go with a synthetic core instead of wood. The description of said core is vague at best. What I "experienced" with the new E88 was a "twisting out" due to less torsional support in the tips and tails. This occurred on steep, relatively hard snow, with high stress input. Admittedly, it's not really fair to expect the Experience 88 to hold up like a race ski on hard snow, so maybe it really isn't that important to the success of the model. It is much improved off piste, and does fine in softer snow, and at moderate edge angles and speed. it will probably be very successful for Rossi, but doesn't have the top end like a Monster 88, Brahma, Pro Mtn 86, etc.

I didn't realize they dumped Poplar/Paulownia wood cores for synthetic cores in the new Exp line. I think that just made my decision. I will hunt some bargain summer sales for outgoing models!

I was recently at Deer Valley, and at the Empire lift area there is a Rossignol Test Center. It's for consumers, you can demo just about any ski in the current model year for free for up to 2 hours for each pair. I tried and really liked the E84, more so than the E88. The E84 was lighter under foot, more maneuverable as you'd expect, and I thought it was strong enough to lay down hard carved turns yet flexible enough for forgiveness and fun in the bumps. Not sure I like the direction new Exp is going, with metal and freeride tips, but to each his own!

TS
tromano

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mounted and ready. 182 cm Fischer Pro Mtn 86 Ti. Tyrolia Aaatack 13 demos.

EF1801B6-5E58-4C68-8119-E4612B319188.jpeg

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
She was just wanting to go inside.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Finally got a low tide day here in UT and I took out the Pro Mtn 86. It was hardpack and variable after the 2" of rain Thursday, it snowed lightly basically all day as well. I skied with the kids until 1pm then they decided they were done so Madeline and I traded off runs while they drank hot coco.

These things are nice for skiing with the kids. I can get some nice flow and rythm in short turns over short stretches while always keeping the kids in sight. Its nice to have a ski that likes poppy fall line turns for family ski day. The Head Monster 98 that I am often on is work at low speeds and would leave me really tired after skiing them all day with the kids on greens and blues. I felt rather un-tired and stayed out for an extra run at the end of the day today.

The ice was Seven Springs grade in places today. The pro mtn 86 had just enough grip that I could just continue my carves through the ice but it took some very gentle touch on edge.

Did a handful of runs in the bumps in the afternoon when the snow was getting nicer, pork barrel to 119. They killed it in the bumps. Felt really quick and balanced.

Last edited:
TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few things I have noticed over my first few days on the Pro Mtn 86. The ski has the distinct carbon feel at low speed when I am brushing my turns, skiing with the kids or picking my way in the bumps. When I am, cruising in the bumps, or charging a bit, arcing turns on 'em the carbon feel disappears and I feel the metal laminate construction much more and they seem to ski much quieter and smoother.

Also I haven't decided yet if this is a fun ski or a serious ski. I am leaning towards fun but knows how to get serious.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few things I have noticed over my first few days on the Pro Mtn 86. The ski has the distinct carbon feel at low speed when I am brushing my turns, skiing with the kids or picking my way in the bumps. When I am, cruising in the bumps, or charging a bit, arcing turns on 'em the carbon feel disappears and I feel the metal laminate construction much more and they seem to ski much quieter and smoother.

Also I haven't decided yet if this is a fun ski or a serious ski. I am leaning towards fun but knows how to get serious.

Sounds like the combination of fun and serious means you’ve got a winner. ogsmile

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Bases on what you want the ski to do I'd recommend something mid 70's, 80 at the most. Once you get much over 80 underfoot you cannot effectively edge the ski while maintaining your base of support. You start to throw your hips around to edge the ski instead of the movement coming from your feet. You can still edge the ski, but you are not operating from a place of efficiency - the lever arm that you have to overcome to get that ski to edge is too great - that is unless your tib / fib are 36" long.

Enjoy.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After 3 days on them to start the season I am loving these skis. The season so far has been distinctly not "low tide" but the Fishers have been crushing it none the less.

Very good through the cut up snow, they change speeds well when the crud turns to bumps. Turn in nicely when picking my way down. And they can handle some fast GS turns in the fall line through the chunder while absorbing the terrain. Superb manners in mixed conditions. Took them into some thick power this afternoon and they floated fine but needed micro mangement to keep balanced.

Snow feel is superb on these and I have been having fun on the groomers while skiing with the kids. The kids love to follow me around and these make beautiful turns at a variety of speeds, including much slower than I was expecting. I think these skis really have a nice tail on them, playing around with that getting off the front of the ski and using that tail to vary my turn shapes more and mix it up, both on groomers and off trail. Edge hold on ice is enough for a western ski but not great, not a moster 88 level grip on the hard snow.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January