• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did the DPS demos a few days ago. And today at Snowbasin they had another demo day. I have been looking for a low tide ski for a while and I finally got arround to trying some out.

About me: lvl 8 skier 215 lbs. Lookin for a mid 80mm width ski to ski with the kids, ski and hopefully improve on bumps and just have fun during high pressure. I ski snowbasin and its corn season.

Quiver:
Nordica El Capo 185 cm w/ PX 15 binders - all around fresh snow
Head Monster 98 184 cm w/ Marker Griffons - all around no fresh snow

So here's the reviews

Head Titan Super Shape 170cm
Got on this ski first up. The groomers were crispy and this ski can carvem. Turn initiation was on point, like the head feel. It had a bit of a serious aura about it. It does well in short to medium turns dead easy. Long cruising turns were there as well. I was concerned about the length but 170 was plenty of ski for me on the icy groomers. Did not need a longer length unless I want to prioritize longer turns. Took it through some not softend moguls on my second run. I really picked my way down but did work up the gumption to ski 5 moguls fluidly near the bottom. I am convinced the ski will be more than adequate for bumps, and it wasn't a fair test. These things were coral reef.

I was looking to take the monster 88 next but it was still out so I decided to try

Atomic Vantage 90 TI 184 cm
Not what I expected from this ski. It felt both too light and too stiff and under damped. Turn initiation should have been more positive but it sucked on this one. Once I got it on edge it was very powerful feeling but the ski seemed to do strange things and did not want to hook up consistently. The damping was not there at all either - It bounced all over on the icy groomers. I never took it in the bumps. The best part of it was the Warden 13 binder, that thing was really nice and solid.

After that the Head Monster 88 came back

Head Monster 88 177cm
These were like coming home. The monster 88 as very good on piste and was versatile in terms of how it could be skied and fun on the icy front side runs. This thing holds an edge. It was easy to ski em slowly, but they really come alive at speed. The dampness and tip seemed to initiate well and absorb terrain. The feel was exactly what I have come to expect form Head. When I took it onto a groomer in the sun it really came alive. The 88 did well in the softening bumps in my typical style which is basically turning on every other bump and going over a few tops as well to get there. Its basically a narrower, softer and more user friendly version of my Monster 98. I like the 177 in this ski as well, it felt like the right length for me.

Fischer Pro Mtn 86 TI 175
I hopped on these next. The tips are stiffer than the monsters and the ski feels more in touch with the snow. This is one of the better bump skis I have been on in the last few years. And it inspired me to ski some zipper line for the first time in a few seasons. On the softening groomers, the ski really felt good at low and moderate speeds, I could ski these with the kids an love it. Once I opened things up a bit, I over powered the ski. The tips would intiate but the ski would not hold consistently at speed in variable snow. I talked to the rep and he told me there was a 182 length out on the hill and to check back.

Volkl Kenjo 182
Good all mountain ski. The tips pull you in nicely, the ski seems to prefer cruising to short turns, edge grip was good for some still icy north facing groomers. It did well in the bumps, a slightly quicker than the Monster 88. One the run outs it was stable, plowed through like a free ride ski and was fun to cruise back to the lift.

Fischer Pro Mtn 86 TI 182
The right length for me. Rocked the bumps (slightly less quick and snappy than the 175), but held much better on the icy scraped off groomers. Great turn initiation, the snow feel was wonderful and I could ski fast or slow. This is what an all mountain ski should be.

Salomon XDR 88 Ti 186
Easy power. They ski slow so well on the groomers. It made me feel like my technique was better than it is. I did a final run with my kids and the feel so smooth and just ski so well slow. And then they come up to speed and its like these are fun on the groomers. They hug the snow, blow through chunder and the grip is all I will need on Utah ice. In the bumps, they are between the Fisher Pro Mtn and the Head Monster 88. I have a feeling that this will be the best of class in powder as well.

Summary:
I found three awesome skis that more than meet my goals for a mid 80s low tide Utah ski.
  • The Head Monser 88 - If you live for speed and want a ski that is supremely confident in firm snow and crud slaying
  • Fischer Pro Mtn TI - If you want a wonderful mogul ski that is going to perform all over the mountain
  • Salmon XDR 88 Ti - If you want to ski slow in the morning with the tiny people and then be able to rip all over the mountain int he afternoon.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You skied seven different skis in one day and can remember which was which? ;-)

HATS OFF to you. Heck, I can't even recall which seven runs I took in a single day.
The hassle of exchanging demo skis must have been a real chore.
Hats off again!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I also had the same experience with the Vantage 90s. Your description of them was much better than I could come up with!
I did not demo today. There's not much left out there that the reps bring that I haven't already skied.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You skied seven different skis in one day and can remember which was which? ;-)

HATS OFF to you. Heck, I can't even recall which seven runs I took in a single day.
The hassle of exchanging demo skis must have been a real chore.
Hats off again!

Thanks. I usuallu just try to remember stuff when I am riding the lift back up.Then I post here so I dont forget. Its fun trying out new gear. But I dont demo often.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great write ups, thanks!

This year's skis, or new 2019 stuff?

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I also had the same experience with the Vantage 90s. Your description of them was much better than I could come up with!
I did not demo today. There's not much left out there that the reps bring that I haven't already skied.
You had the same thought/experience I had on the Vantage 90's. Thought it was me, guess not.

I was wondering if it was just a bad tune combined with early morning spring snow. I guess not.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great write ups, thanks!

This year's skis, or new 2019 stuff?

The years are not written on the skis so I had to look this up. It was a mix. Mostly it was this years, the heads and atomic vantage ti are 2019 I think.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
To anyone reading this review and downplussed about the new Vantage 90 Ti - Put the Vantage 83 Ti on your future demo list ; much more positive hook up than the 90, still way under damped but so light and predictable in a pseudo GS way. Much more versatile than the 90 IMHO in a low tide season. [/humble] I think Atomic should buy a bunch of Legend 88s for their Vantage 90 engineers to do remedial study.

Last edited:

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Funny, but the Atomic Vantage 90 Ti (176cm) that I tested at Big Sky a few weeks ago, was really good. Lightweight, but powerful on edge and did not fold at higher speeds. It did seem that it's preferred turn shape wanted to stay in the fall line, rather than cut across it. But, overall this ski seemed pretty good. I guess that you need to try it, before you just count it out.

FWIW. Other notable quick observations:

Head Monster 88, pretty much the same as the previous year's models, but a little quicker hookup at the top of the turn, due to the new tip shape.

The new ski in this category that is a disappointment to me is the new Rossignol Experience 88Ti, new shape is a little better off piste, but really lacks torsional stiffness to hold an edge on firm, steep surfaces.

I feel the same as the OP about the Fischer Pro Mtn 86 - 182cm. This is one of the most well balanced skis in the 80-90mm waist category.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm super happy with my Atomic Vantage 90 ctis. With a 1-3 tune it holds a great edge and it's very maneuverable and easy to ski. It does great on groomers and is fun on bumps and in trees.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm super happy with my Atomic Vantage 90 ctis. With a 1-3 tune it holds a great edge and it's very maneuverable and easy to ski. It does great on groomers and is fun on bumps and in trees.
The new TI is not even remotely like the old CTI - not in graphics, not in weight and certainly not in feel.

Yes I know. The confusion can start now.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The new TI is not even remotely like the old CTI - not in graphics, not in weight and certainly not in feel.

Yes I know. The confusion can start now.

Missed the ti designation and the 2019 reference. Operating on 3 hours sleep, just got in from my trip last night or this morning I should say.

Given this new information and what people said above then I guess I'lls ay I'm even happier than ever with my 2017 Atomic Vantage 90cti's. Gonna keep them for a good long while as they rock and it doesn't sound like the awesomeness continued to future generations.

:beercheer:

Last edited:
TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Coolhand I agree with light and powerful on edge, once the 90 ti got on edge. But getting there was not fun.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The XDR are pretty freaking cool ski. The short coming of my 179cm 84 are really steep ice, and troughed out bumps. They do groom and even powder really well. The 179cm XDR is honestly the first sub 85mm skis that just slays powder. IIll probably add a 186cm 88 next year and see if the straighter sidecut makes the ski better in steep ice, and troughed out bumps.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Monster 88, pretty much the same as the previous year's models, but a little quicker hookup at the top of the turn, due to the new tip shape.

I feel the same as the OP about the Fischer Pro Mtn 86 - 182cm. This is one of the most well balanced skis in the 80-90mm waist category.

Both on next season's short list.

Never skied Fischer I didn't at least like -- love my Motive 95s and Ranger 115s -- and...

Quicker hookup at the top of the turn was the only thing I found lacking when I demoed the "old" Monster 88 last spring.

Thanks for the observations!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews. Having skied with you, your preferences aren't too surprising. Meaty chargers, to oversimplify.

I like the 177 in this ski [Monster 88] as well, it felt like the right length for me.

What's most interesting to me about your reactions is the rather large difference in preferred length among the models - from 177 to 186. Why it's always good to try two sizes, I guess!

Edit: I never really bonded with the old Motive 86 as an all mountain ski. Too stiff and carve-y for me. Sounds like I need to try the new incarnation.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The XDR are pretty freaking cool ski. The short coming of my 179cm 84 are really steep ice, and troughed out bumps. They do groom and even powder really well. The 179cm XDR is honestly the first sub 85mm skis that just slays powder. IIll probably add a 186cm 88 next year and see if the straighter sidecut makes the ski better in steep ice, and troughed out bumps.

For me it was a toss up for me between the XDR and the Pro Mtn. I chose based on what I could get a deal on. I had a feeling about the XDR 88, that it would be a really nice ski in powder, glad your 84 is working well for you in those conditions.

TS
tromano

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice reviews. Having skied with you, your preferences aren't too surprising. Meaty chargers, to oversimplify.

What's most interesting to me about your reactions is the rather large difference in preferred length among the models - from 177 to 186. Why it's always good to try two sizes, I guess!

Edit: I never really bonded with the old Motive 86 as an all mountain ski. Too stiff and carve-y for me. Sounds like I need to try the new incarnation.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Trying two sizes is a good idea especially with skis like these head monsters. The 184 Monster 98 is so much fun for me to ski in weekend warrior mode, but it feels like more skis than I want if I were to ski it every day. 177 Monster 88 is something I could ski every day and love.

I went with the Pro Mtn because it was even more of a change of pace than the 88.

Sponsor

Staff online