• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
You can’t fake mileage, but the 10,000 hour bs needs to die. I did the math, if you have insane endurance, you would be 53 before you reached 10,000 hours. Yes I did the math.
Well Mikaela's math was probably off when she spoke about it, but likely she's got 5,000 hours to go. I think she came up with 11 hrs per year training on snow. But I can't remember. It was super low though. Only including actual time skiing. Not lifts or standing around.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definition of Insanity:

Doing the same thing over and over all the while expecting a different result.

USST needs to look in the mirror!

As Dan Leever mentioned, besides a few outliers (Shiffrin, Vonn, Miller) USST is not producing! And USST for what I can see did not “produce” Shiffrin or Miller

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
MS's mother should write a book.

Malcolm Gladwell Explains What Everyone Gets Wrong About His Famous '10,000 Hour Rule'

With that ubiquity, Gladwell drew academic haterade. Harvard prof and "Emotional Intelligence" author Daniel Goleman said the 10,000 hour was "only half true," while a group of psychologists have rejected the rule outright. K. Anders Ericsson, the scholar whose work Gladwell based his argument around, came out against the over-application of the 10,000 rule.

But in today's Ask Me Anything on Reddit, Gladwell is saying that the over-glossy interpretation of the rule — that practicing 10,000 hours guarantees success — is a misunderstanding.

He writes:

There is a lot of confusion about the 10,000 rule that I talk about in Outliers. It doesn't apply to sports. And practice isn't a SUFFICIENT condition for success. I could play chess for 100 years and I'll never be a grandmaster. The point is simply that natural ability requires a huge investment of time in order to be made manifest. Unfortunately, sometimes complex ideas get oversimplified in translation.

While you might want to argue that Gladwell is the guy responsible for the oversimplification, it's helpful that he debunks his debunkers.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Just an update on Dan Leever's Facebook "manifest." People continue to read it, share it, like it, and comment. Lots of interest, and a variety of comments.

Edie Thys Morgan, who's a ex USST athlete, married to a high level ex skier, mother of ski racers and a writer on the subject has written a good pice on her blog. I'm sorry but I can't put up a link right now. The piece is entitled "Now We're Talking". Her site is racerex.com

An article appeared on the premium section of SkiRacing.com today. "Cries for Change in American Alpine Racing." A lot of quotes from Tiger Shaw. The author doesn't mention it, but she is close to Tiger and the USST. I would say not intended bias, but some that is just ingrained.

There are links to both of these on Dan's Facebook page. I think both are interesting. I have had a half dozen people text me today with the comment that those closest to the USST, in terms of the board and employees, seem to be getting defensive. I have heard some say that Dans left the USST board after "just two years", and was impatient, etc.

I asked if perhaps we have been too impatient, recently, and have not pushed for enough change. That's not a popular question with some.

At any rate, these are more thought provoking good reads.

Last edited:
TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive

This is the second piece that Leever wrote and first posted on his Facebook page. So, same exact content, different location. This is on his Team America Foundation page.

His college opinions are, IMO, largely formed by what he set out, and helped his son achieve. I think it helps a bit to see how he looks at things if you dig into the whole thing.

Dan is going to be taking heat, as not many people spend $500K+ a year to help their son and others, either reach the NCAA, or keep after their USST dreams. He puts more than that into ski racing in general, including a lot of energy. When he stated that he became a student of the game, that's a giant understatement. Great thought has gone into this. Seasoned CEO thinking.

I very much admire "right ot wrong" that he's raised these issues. From where I stand, he's put so much out there that is spot on. Many thanks for doing so.

The Facebook comments are really insightful

Last edited:

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
I read the info on most of those links (I love Edie) and then more perspective from Bob Beattie.

Interesting discourse, but too frequently people are quick to say if we had the money everything would be okay.

I do find it ironic that so many people think it's somehow easier for freeskiing and freestyle athletes when they're being asked for $20-30K if they are on the B & C teams.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I read the info on most of those links (I love Edie) and then more perspective from Bob Beattie.

Interesting discourse, but too frequently people are quick to say if we had the money everything would be okay.

I do find it ironic that so many people think it's somehow easier for freeskiing and freestyle athletes when they're being asked for $20-30K if they are on the B & C teams.

Those are two VERY good points.

I know people who have been on the board, in some cases got well over a decade, or who served decades ago, who will quickly say "we have always struggled with money. Nothing new." Then, others will say that the real issue may be more to do with how we ALLOCATE the money and spend it. Is the cost of running the organization too high? Some of these conversations, at least for me, raise that issue. I don't have an answer. I think it's a bit of both.

Certainly there has not been a "essential hires only until we fully fund all athletes" action. Obviously the organization is trying to make it clear that EVERY athlete is funded to a large degree. Hence the statements that, on average, it costs $100K plus per athlete to support them.

Good point. Would more revenue, from
sponsors, partners and donors cure ALL? Doubt it.

On the second point, that is also important to keep in mind. The USSSA is the governing body for a wide range of disciplines...some might say even sports. Yet most of us understand or follow one. Some a couple. Fewer follow more. Dan Leever's writing is aimed at Alpine ski racing. One piece of the iceberg.

I find that my alpine buddies are quick to not just focus on alpine racing, but to almost ignore and dismiss the rest. If you have eight kids, you have to love them all {or should!}. I find that parents, coaches and kids who grow up around all of these disciplines get it. And understand that every athlete is struggling to make a higher level of criteria.

Obviously those at the very top, who do get fully funded, also earn the most through sponsors and endorsements. But, I see "alpiners" who think that the sponsorship in X games events is deep and very broadly spread and it is not.

This end of the discussion can get very messy. It goes along with WHY should the USST fully fund athletes like LV, MS and and Ted. They earn millions. They have their own teams with multiple coaches, and staff. The flip side is that under this Project 26 and "Best in the World" measure, they have brought home medals. And medals lead to corporate and individual donors. Same can be said for many other: Shaun White, the women's XC team....all of the freestyle medalists.

I think that cutting funding because you are "too successful" is not where we want to go. I know USST trustees who think those athletes should be making big gifts. Some have in the past. Some choose to do it otherwise, because they actually want to be assured that the other athletes get 100% of the money. The Lindsey Vonn foundation funding is an example.

Dan's area of knowledge is alpine. And while I think it's really healthy to expand the conversation and awareness, I also think that we need to keep his focus on mind when considering things. Same with Edie. Her world has been Alpine. USST athlete, now ski academy parent. She really "gets" that stuff.

So others weighing in to broaden all of our awareness as to the challenges is IMO
a very good thing.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I'm on the hill, and quickly sending this, as a friend just told me that SkIRacing had published a letter to the editor this AM from Tiger Shaw, on the subject of "Project 26". The way he explained it to me {and he is in the know......} was "Tiger's on his heels over this." Like some on the board may have told him that he needs to get out ahead of Leever.

https://www.skiracing.com/premium/letter-to-the-editor-u-s-ski-snowboard-plans-for-future-success

Now, note that Tiger explains that he is excited that Sasha is now running Men's development. Calling Sasha one of the best in the world is "generous" in the opinion of many. He plans to announce the hiring of a "very experienced" women's development coach. I can tell you for a fact that "very experienced" is not translating to best in this country when it comes to U16 and entry FIS level coaches. You can draw lines to the kids who are killing it right now and see that. So, I expect that we'll see another older member of "the family in that job." Chip, Sasha, and friend. We'll see.

"Coach education" starts and happens on the hill with younger coaches being mentored by the best, then spreading their wings and teaching others. It doesn't happen with USST/USSA curriculum. IMO. Or so USSA level 300, and 500 coaches "tell me."

This is getting interesting. I suspect that the timing on this is not coincidental. Nationals are almost over, and I think we're going to see some more announcements.

Good for Dan, whether you agree with him to not, to have put some energy into this, and rattled a few cages.

Nowhere but up. Back to the snow......

Last edited:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just read the Tiger press release @Muleski posted.

Sorry, but I see nothing new, nothing to make me believe change is in the air, nothing that WOW’ed me into geez this guys has his hand on the pulse.

As for hiring coaches with a lot of experience...... A know nothing coach who has been at it for a long time has a lot of experience. I prefer a hire who is on the forefront of teaching and knowledge! Please understand, I am not saying that the current hires know nothing, I am just giving an extreme example.

That was nothing more than a press release to take up space, I just wasted 3 1/2 minutes of my life reading it as it essentially said nothing of importance.

As a neophyte ski racing fan, I am still amazed that this dude has a job based on the results of the past few years.

Tiger talks about the wins and loss’s in Alpine, please tell me the wins outside of the two OP women????? Sure we saw a couple of podiums late from some of the women, and those podiums are awesome and VERY welcome. But I see very little outside of MS and LV that USST could possibly toot their horn about. BTW, how many men’s podiums did USST Alpine skiers attain???

I am solidly in the Dan Leever camp.

Blow it up and build it from scratch with ALL emphasis on the athletes!

BTW, how many employees does USST have?

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
BTW, how many employees does USST have?

I’d like to know this too. There are a lot of people outside the USST who work hard and do important work, like regional coordinators, sport education, et al, but as we all know the organization ballooned under Marolt and has never gotten smaller. It take a lot of money to feed the beast, and doing so makes it harder for clubs to be profitable.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I’d like to know this too. There are a lot of people outside the USST who work hard and do important work, like regional coordinators, sport education, et al, but as we all know the organization ballooned under Marolt and has never gotten smaller. It take a lot of money to feed the beast, and doing so makes it harder for clubs to be profitable.

I'm curious about that number as well, and getting an accurate number isn't that easy, as many jobs support the entire USSST/USSA. Every discipline. The rough numbers for the total organization that I've heard is something like 275-300 employees. Full time, year round employees add up to most but not all. The incomes are high. Most recent 990 that's publicly available showed closer to 250 employees and $5Mil of compensation. There are a small number of people who eat up $2Mil plus of that amount. Many of the new hires in jobs new to the USSA don't look like they are low level hires.

That "feels" like a lot of people. Just my gut reaction. Then you have the Center of Excellence.

Keep in mind that the fundraising that is allocated to the athlete expenses and travel....attacking the funding gap....is much in the form of building up a few endowment funds, so that it will be permanently taken care of, in theory. It's a long process.

BTW, yesterday Hig Roberts, and independent skiing on the WC won the SL National Championship. He won the GS National Championship last year. Still not good enough to make team criteria. Never ceases to amaze me.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, that is the real issue. A hugely bloated level of bureaucracy and hangers on......don't know if it is correct, haven't checked it, but i saw a post elsewhere claiming that the 990 still showed a larges sum of money that would support several athletes.... still going to Marolt. I hope that the poster was mistaken and looking at an old one..... but...????....nothing would surprise me

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
An article appeared on the premium section of SkiRacing.com today. "Cries for Change in American Alpine Racing."
I just read that article this morning. Looks like Dan is spicing things up a bit.

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it. Is it me or does Tiger sound a little like a politician?

Good for Dan, whether you agree with him to not, to have put some energy into this, and rattled a few cages.
Good for Dan!

Sponsor

Staff online