• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuning Elan Ripstick 96

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just tune them the same as anything. Both sides the same. The different base shape on each tip will take care of it's self.

Skied today and think I will change to 1 degree base and 2 degrees side. They were fine on gentle pitch but had difficulty engaging edge on steeper hard pack. That is what I usually do on all terrain skis whereas my groomer skis are 1 and 3.

I'm interested to hear how you like these skis.

Skied today with wife (3rd day since total hip replacement in April), Lookout Pass ski area, good snow, cold but sunny. Basically hard pack groomers with a little loose stuff on top, office piste was pretty well skied up and was not death coral but medium stiff and set up.

Loved the skis - Elan Ripstick 96, 174cm, 2019 model with demo Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings ($449.00 from Essentials, condition a 9 on a 10 scale.

I was amazing how centered I felt on these skis and the "being centered" was immediate and lasted all day. The 1st impression other than feeling centered was how quick these skis were, it was amazing how a 96mm ski (underfoot) could be that quick. "Twitchy, grabby, catchy would not describe their performance. Ran them thrsough short, medium and SG turns and found they performed well. One time I ran them out on a runout area and found them stable and predictable at speed. There was no powder so can't comment but I am sure they will perform. Liked the skis and the ride and was very impressed with what I could make them do and how they responded.

Overall/Summary. The skis outperformed my expectations. Usually ski around 180-185cm skis but ordered the 174cm ones mainly because of my age (76) and thought they would respond a little quicker shorter but was a little worried about going too short and them not performing at speed. Glad I got the 174's as they are really quick without being squirrely at any speed.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Skied today and think I will change to 1 degree base and 2 degrees side. They were fine on gentle pitch but had difficulty engaging edge on steeper hard pack. That is what I usually do on all terrain skis whereas my groomer skis are 1 and 3.

Skied today with wife (3rd day since total hip replacement in April), Lookout Pass ski area, good snow, cold but sunny. Basically hard pack groomers with a little loose stuff on top, office piste was pretty well skied up and was not death coral but medium stiff and set up.

Loved the skis - Elan Ripstick 96, 174cm, 2019 model with demo Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings ($449.00 from Essentials, condition a 9 on a 10 scale.

I was amazing how centered I felt on these skis and the "being centered" was immediate and lasted all day. The 1st impression other than feeling centered was how quick these skis were, it was amazing how a 96mm ski (underfoot) could be that quick. "Twitchy, grabby, catchy would not describe their performance. Ran them thrsough short, medium and SG turns and found they performed well. One time I ran them out on a runout area and found them stable and predictable at speed. There was no powder so can't comment but I am sure they will perform. Liked the skis and the ride and was very impressed with what I could make them do and how they responded.

Overall/Summary. The skis outperformed my expectations. Usually ski around 180-185cm skis but ordered the 174cm ones mainly because of my age (76) and thought they would respond a little quicker shorter but was a little worried about going too short and them not performing at speed. Glad I got the 174's as they are really quick without being squirrely at any speed.

Keep "Workin' It" Pete!
Workin' It Decal.jpg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
What does "dull" feel like in,"1" to 6" days, off piste, in the trees etc."

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
PS, Be careful how wide you take that split. Groin pulls are no laughing matter. ogwink

Jacques

Skier
Wait. Jacques has his own stickers?

A snowboarder and artist made them. I did not ask for it, but it happened. Now it's a Mt Bachelor thing.
IDK, but the kids seem to think I am some sort of legend. Really, I am not. I just treat all with respect when they deserve it, be they young or old.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jacques, I always enjoy your posts, videos, advice, and your love of skiing.
If I ever make it your way, I hope to witness the legend in action and ply you with a few beers after ! :beercheer:

~ Andy

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight