• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tuning Elan Ripstick 96

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just bought some demo Elan Ripstick 96 skis. Ski Essential guy said skis are tuned 1degree base and 1 degree side. Does anyone here confirm that 1 and 1. Also any tips on tuning amphibio skis versus regular ?

Tips regarding these skis will help. I am an experienced tuner but not with this type of ski. Thanks in Advance Pete

Will use these primarily on those 1" to 6" days off piste, in the trees etc.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski Essential guy said skis are tuned 1degree base and 1 degree side. Does anyone here confirm that 1 and 1.
Since they tune them, I'm guessing he did confirm it. @SkiEssentials , right?

No difference on tuning, at least what I've always been told.

You know about the trick on switching the right and left skis?

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Just bought some demo Elan Ripstick 96 skis. Ski Essential guy said skis are tuned 1degree base and 1 degree side. Does anyone here confirm that 1 and 1. Also any tips on tuning amphibio skis versus regular ?

Tips regarding these skis will help. I am an experienced tuner but not with this type of ski. Thanks in Advance Pete

Will use these primarily on those 1" to 6" days off piste, in the trees etc.

Just tune them the same as anything. Both sides the same. The different base shape on each tip will take care of it's self.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok. 1 and 1 and tune as any ski. Thanks wasn't sure so thought I would check.

Normally I tune my off piste skis 1 and 2 and detune tips and tails, would I detune these the same?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm interested to hear how you like these skis.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
ok. Will try. I ski my 88xti with 1 base and 3 side so had to ask for the 96's. Will give a review as soon as some all conditiond all terrain shows up.

Jacques

Skier
ok. 1 and 1 and tune as any ski. Thanks wasn't sure so thought I would check.

Normally I tune my off piste skis 1 and 2 and detune tips and tails, would I detune these the same?

I would only round the edges where the sidecut goes reverse at tip and tail. That may be a very small portion.
Okay, I looked at the ski. It's a fair portion both tip and tail. As I said, only round edges from the widest point toward tip and tail. Do not reference the rocker, just the sidecut. Good luck Pete, those should be fun skis for sure!
BTW, if I were you, I'd give them a 1/3 tune. On hard-pack groomers it will be much better edge grip.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If you are going to take the skis onto hard snow (what western skiers call ice :P), then 1:3 would be good. If not, it doesn't matter. I would not change the base angle from the 1 degree even though I prefer 0.5 on hard snow, because going lower than 1 would interfere with the skis easy ability to pivot and drift.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Amphibios have a left and right ski. If you switch them, they have a tendency to float a little more.

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
I have the black edition and was told they have a 1 / 2 base and edge bevel. I ski them on the Ontario ice and love them. I will most likely go with a 3 edge for next year.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Amphibios have a left and right ski. If you switch them, they have a tendency to float a little more.

Now that you mention that would be the result of swapping the L and R ski. Really wouldn't want to switch with my 88's but might be fun with the ripstick 96's - will try. Thanks

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I found my 88XTi twitchy in a very unpleasant way when I've tried switching L and R. I suspect this says something about my inside ski and how I initiate a turn.

Jacques

Skier
Personally, I like to rotate my ski from right and left every time I take a break.
Keeps the wear more even.
Although they don't speak of it here, there is something about reversing these from right to left. Anyone know?

Sponsor

Staff online