• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trek do their big reveal and...

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Follow Jim Moss if you want insight into helmets, testing, and the law.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I bought one of the wavecel Specter helmets, it's light and comfy. I'll let you know if I ever personally test the helmet in a crash situation. I'm all for new technologies that help reduce potential for injury. Even if the claims for 48x are overblown and are less, I still value my brain enough to get a "safer" helmet for the same price as I would pay for a non wavecel helmet.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is no standard test for protection from a rotation injury. MIPS is a proprietary technology that is only justified by a test procedure defined by the MIPS developers.

While there is no standard, there are other institutes that have done comparison testing on helmets that have come up with conclusions similar to MIPS.

Here’s the first one that will come up while searching the Google. Testing completed by Virginia Tech and the Institute of Highway Safety.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desk...-some-bike-helmets-protect-better-than-others

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
While there is no standard, there are other institutes that have done comparison testing on helmets that have come up with conclusions similar to MIPS.

Here’s the first one that will come up while searching the Google. Testing completed by Virginia Tech and the Institute of Highway Safety.
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desk...-some-bike-helmets-protect-better-than-others

Well, I for one am glad that someone is finally doing front rim testing. What's the point of having MIPS or anything similar if a crushed front rim will spike-lock the helmet to your head?

Sponsor