• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trek do their big reveal and...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like the Wave Cell tech is not Bontrager, so it'll start showing up in other brands and types of helmets in the near future.
I'll have to try one on. I'm sure my favorite shop will carry them.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Ummm, hmm. I do need a new helmet for the season, passed my old Fox down to my son. Might have to check this out, especially after a *hard* crash this past weekend (skiing tho). My helmet worked great. Wish I had one for my rib cage . . . :)

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have they killed MIPS?

I'm not a big fan of MIPS. Bobble head helmets. Drive me (a little bit) crazy. I like Leatt's and 6D's approach a lot more, so I'll be watching this new concept closely.

More closely when the material comes down to helmets below the $300 level. Which it will. Quickly.

It has at least a somewhat similar look to the Koroyd helmet. I hope it's cooler. My Bonty Rally helmet is the coolest enduro style helmet I've tried.

Sounds like the Wave Cell tech is not Bontrager, so it'll start showing up in other brands and types of helmets in the near future.

I would be very surprised if Bontrager/Trek doesn't have this technology locked up through some kind of licensing agreement type of thing.

I know they have exactly that with their Penske Reaktiv rear shock tech. Fox and Rockshox can both build shocks with that tech, but only for Trek bikes.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not a big fan of MIPS. Bobble head helmets. Drive me (a little bit) crazy. I like Leatt's and 6D's approach a lot more, so I'll be watching this new concept closely.

More closely when the material comes down to helmets below the $300 level. Which it will. Quickly.

I would be very surprised if Bontrager/Trek doesn't have this technology locked up through some kind of licensing agreement type of thing.

I know they have exactly that with their Penske Reaktiv rear shock tech. Fox and Rockshox can both build shocks with that tech, but only for Trek bikes.
Ohh that's a good point.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
just stumbled on the wave cell. like @Tom K. I've not been a huge believer in the first iteration of MIPs not just for fit but a doubter in the technology. this is a welcomed improvement for sure. I wonder how different it is from the new MIPs design found in the Giro Aether.https://road.cc/content/review/255691-giro-aether-mips-helmet

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hehe, my distaste for MIPS has been an open secret for 6+ years now, interesting to see all these others come out of the woodwork.

I checked my personal journal, and my mild distaste began 6 years and 2 months ago.

TAKE THAT! ;)

Seriously, if MIPS was just the first baby step on the road to better noggin protection, it served its purpose well.

Kind of like mtb disk brakes. The first iterations were absolute rubbish, but I'm sure glad somebody got the ball rolling!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
There is no standard test for protection from a rotation injury. MIPS is a proprietary technology that is only justified by a test procedure defined by the MIPS developers. Now that everyone seems to want MIPS, it's not surprising that others are stepping up with their own proprietary solutions, if only to avoid the MIPS licensing fee.

I'll wait for an ANSI or CPSC standard before I replace my helmets.

dm

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
There is no standard test for protection from a rotation injury. MIPS is a proprietary technology that is only justified by a test procedure defined by the MIPS developers. Now that everyone seems to want MIPS, it's not surprising that others are stepping up with their own proprietary solutions, if only to avoid the MIPS licensing fee.

I'll wait for an ANSI or CPSC standard before I replace my helmets.

dm

the test that came out last year (I started thread on test results) showed that the standard tests are extremely lacking. this test conducted by the group that tests football helmets included side impacts that closely mimicked typical cycling falls/crashes. there is a list of top performing helmets though. several did extremely well.

there is no test for MIPS. its entirely theoretical and unless you ratchet the helmet down on your head along with keeping the chinstrap tight so your helmet cannot move, and not wear a skullcap it won't work even by their own admission, MIPS helmets typically only add a minimal cost

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I'm sort of shaking my head about how to select a helmet, and, as mine is several seasons old, it may just be time to upgrade. It is somewhat ironic that in a forum that has primary interest in the evaluation of skis, which is totally subjective and depends on "feelings" of testers, that we look to testing technology to determine the "best" level of protection. Thankfully, there are not a lot of in-use brain damage injury incidents that would increase the size of the data points needed for statistical analysis.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
I'm sort of shaking my head about how to select a helmet, and, as mine is several seasons old, it may just be time to upgrade. It is somewhat ironic that in a forum that has primary interest in the evaluation of skis, which is totally subjective and depends on "feelings" of testers, that we look to testing technology to determine the "best" level of protection. Thankfully, there are not a lot of in-use brain damage injury incidents that would increase the size of the data points needed for statistical analysis.

I haven't felt any need to get MIPS tech for either ski or bike helmets, probably because a) there is a solid price premium here, and b) I've (subjectively of course) had good experiences with non MIPS helmets in various crashes over the past decade, including two instances where the helmets partially split, and I have had no concussion issues from those accidents. Of course that may just be luck and a billion other factors, but it also may well be due to good helmet protection.

My selection technique is pretty simple - must have CPSC, CE-EN and AS/NZS2063 safety standards, must fit correctly, must look cool, and must be premium :)

Sponsor

Staff online