• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellie. Just good Skiing.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
good news for you, its really not the knees, its skiing with you COM centered, moving with the skis and driving with hips and core/shoulders. yes, foot steering too. think of larger muscles driving smaller.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Takao is similar in style. he drive the ski from the hip-femur-knee-ankle.foot and COM/core/Shoulders as well. The retraction is done at the hip

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
good news for you, its really not the knees, its skiing with you COM centered, moving with the skis and driving with hips and core/shoulders. yes, foot steering too. think of larger muscles driving smaller.
I so wish you were right. The doctor has told me I should not have bent my knee sideways and it really shouldn't make those noises. But what do the Orthopods know?

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I aim for joint mobility, not shock. The difficulty is that you can do it right 99.99% of the time, and then the one time that you screw up gets you. Practice helps, I suppose....

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
TC is not flat, mostly advanced to expert terrain. Not a place for beginners and many intermediates struggle there too.

That's the reason I haven't been there yet tbh. Didn't feel worth it until I'm a bit better at skiing - still just an intermediate. Tried out Remarkables and Cardrona last winter instead, good fun!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Really only that it's mostly flat and doesn't have interesting advanced terrain. That's not what I'm seeing in that video. It's not like I have a trip planned to ski in Australia any time soon... ;)

I'd contend that whoever wrote that is confusing Treble Cone with Cardrona, a nearby resort owned by the same people.

Treble has very little beginner terrain - it's nearly all advanced. Cardrona is a nice resort for intermediates.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It hurts to watch that. So much snow there, so little here.
I'm hoping that means we'll get a good late season in the NE. :crossfingers:

The skiing in the original video is what I aspire to be able to do one day, unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I can watch this all day. Just good skiing.

Very nice - some great terrain and snow conditions. Just the sort of stuff I would love to ski all day. I don't ski it that well, not even in my dreams.

Edit: Also great to see some skiing a bit more relaxed from an amazing talent. Many videos out there are on the ragged edge of control.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'd contend that whoever wrote that is confusing Treble Cone with Cardrona, a nearby resort owned by the same people.

Treble has very little beginner terrain - it's nearly all advanced. Cardrona is a nice resort for intermediates.

It's probably me that was confused. I've been thoroughly straightened out regarding the terrain at TC. ;)

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me it’s great to see him rely on his poles and pole plants.Whenever I’m asked for advice or friends and family I always tell them you have to use your poles, not so much in his GS turns but that makes sense.
Thanks Mr Steamboat !!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
It hurts to watch that. So much snow there, so little here.

Wouldn't feel too bad - the current situation in TC.... bit patchy.

1638502419192.png

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
^^Now that's lovely. The wavy terrain - is that obvious once it's covered in snow? Or does it flatten out?

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Those films are great because they show his patience. So many times people feel rushed like they MUST,TURN,NOW!!!! Relax lol, dump speed if needed and YOU pick your spot to turn. I have found this really helps in ungroomed terrain.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
[/QUOTE]
^^Now that's lovely. The wavy terrain - is that obvious once it's covered in snow? Or does it flatten out?

I can't tell for sure but that looks like it might be the road up to Treble Cone (TC as locals say) as opposed to an actual ski run at the resort. The road up to TC is a steep and windy gravel road and in and if itself can be an adventure.

The ski terrain is not particularly wavy but there are tons of natural features all over the place and areas with various undulations. It's super fun. The video focuses on the skiing so it doesn't show the views on the mountain which are incredible.

TC is an amazing place to get ski instruction. There are a number of top tier skiers who go there (North America off-season). You can get crazy bargains for lessons given the quality of the instruction versus what you'd pay in USA/Europe. The Rookies Academy isn't cheap although the instruction seems to be top tier for the cost.

To me, it doesn't get any better than TC as far as resorts in NZ for advanced terrain, views, overall chill vibe and location. Some of the club fields such as Craigieburn are also great.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online