• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellie. Just good Skiing.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can watch this all day. Just good skiing.

So, what I particularly like about this is that it's not at all a controlled environment. It's great skiing, of course, but he's playing with the terrain. He's obviously going for joy as opposed to going for approval. Skiing for himself, not for the Evaluators That Be.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice to see freeskiing from @tomgellie ... I like seeing more in terrain choices and the variety of slopes. Really great to watch, especially as I haven't been skiing yet this season!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Makes Treble Cone look like a fun place to ski, which is surprising because I've read a few negative things about that mountain.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Everything dependent on conditions. We sometimes don't appreciate how fortunate we are in the western U.S. for having comparatively long seasons and commonly (if not "reliably") good conditions for much of that time.

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
Makes Treble Cone look like a fun place to ski, which is surprising because I've read a few negative things about that mountain.
Out of interest, what negative things?

I ask because it generally seems to be thought of as the best commercial NZ mountain for advanced skiers, at least from most kiwis I've chatted to. No specifics though. I haven't been there myself - next winter, maybe. I'll probably do a couple of road trips down that way.

Also, I've never seen that many moguls on a kiwi skifield! Is this why I never see many at Hutt? They're shipping them all down to TC??

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Out of interest, what negative things?

I ask because it generally seems to be thought of as the best commercial NZ mountain for advanced skiers, at least from most kiwis I've chatted to. No specifics though. I haven't been there myself - next winter, maybe. I'll probably do a couple of road trips down that way.

Also, I've never seen that many moguls on a kiwi skifield! Is this why I never see many at Hutt? They're shipping them all down to TC??

Really only that it's mostly flat and doesn't have interesting advanced terrain. That's not what I'm seeing in that video. It's not like I have a trip planned to ski in Australia any time soon... ;)

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
What have you read that is negative? Fantastic views and nice terrain. One of the best resorts (and I'd argue the best) you're going to find in New Zealand

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
all @Noodler is saying is the he has read some negative comments about treble cone. I have also read that it can be icy and thin. Obviously, those are great conditions.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
all @Noodler is saying is the he has read some negative comments about treble cone. I have also read that it can be icy and thin. Obviously, those are great conditions.
Anywhere can be icy and thin depending on time of year and overall season. Southern Hemisphere snow on average isn't as good for skiing as Northern Hemisphere. I was curious what the negative comments were relative to. Because I consider Treble Cone the best resort in NZ.

Whenever someone makes a comment that something is good or bad, it naturally begs the question why and in relation to what.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
it pretty thin and crappy here right now. :).
Indeed. Most places out West right now. So yeah, if someone makes a comment generalizing ski resort based on current conditions out West well you know what the value of that critique is :)

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Really only that it's mostly flat and doesn't have interesting advanced terrain. That's not what I'm seeing in that video. It's not like I have a trip planned to ski in Australia any time soon... ;)
TC is not flat, mostly advanced to expert terrain. Not a place for beginners and many intermediates struggle there too. The infrastructure is not great, years of underinvestment which is slowly being addressed with new owners.
That Rookies Academy ski school seems to attract some of the 'biggest' names in the ski instruct world - JF Beaulieu, Jonathon Ballou, Tom Gellie etc all teach there or did.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is fun to see a skier that good just out rocking it in the bumps. Not a zipper line, just skiing what is front of him.
Anybody know where a guy can buy a used set of knees that will work like that?

Sponsor