• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellie. Just good Skiing.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
^^Now that's lovely. The wavy terrain - is that obvious once it's covered in snow? Or does it flatten out?

It's a view into Home Basin. Can't say from exactly where as it's always looked a lot whiter whenever I've been there.

Depends on snow depth how much it fills in. The bigger features remain.

I can't tell for sure but that looks like it might be the road up to Treble Cone (TC as locals say) as opposed to an actual ski run at the resort. The road up to TC is a steep and windy gravel road and in and if itself can be an adventure.

Not the actual road up. Which got a lot better over the years. 1st visit (about 1984) it was character building.

1638570679741.png

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The road to Cardrona also gets exciting. These resorts are perched high on the sides of massive glacial valleys. I know from having driven a minivan full of friends up and been diected to a parking space inches from the precipice. What adds to the fun is that the snow on the roads melts in the sun, mixing with the characteristic local minerals to form a slimy mud layer.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
It's a view into Home Basin. Can't say from exactly where as it's always looked a lot whiter whenever I've been there.

Depends on snow depth how much it fills in. The bigger features remain.

Not the actual road up. Which got a lot better over the years. 1st visit (about 1984) it was character building.

View attachment 150208
The original picture of Home basin is taken from the cat track to the Saddle Basin. This is a narrow, gnarly section of the access road. Cardies who run TC now are pretty good on road management and making ski areas more accessible so expect a few more improvements. They've got consent to put up a gondola from the valley floor but no capital to do this.
Sorry about the thread drift. Nothing detracts from that beautiful skiing originally posted.

Sponsor

Staff online