• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tokyo Olympics

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wrestling or weightlifting? It would be a shame to lose an Olympic original.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
The 3x3 basketball was pretty good. No games that take forever with endless fouling and stopping. Maybe the NBA should consider it for something. All star game?

I heard extra innings in baseball puts runners on 1st and second. I only watched some softball, which I prefer in the olympics and college. Again, no excessive long pitching, thinking about pitching, maybe I’ll call timeout, call the catcher over. Then the endless glove adjustments for the batter. Softball is quicker, and it’s 7 innings.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Three Vermonters in the Olympics-

Brooke Mooney, from cross country skiing in high school to rowing. In the US women’s 8 boat. They ended up fourth.

A1618710-0C90-44C0-94CE-5C4FF62FCEE5.png

Ihlona Maher
Came late to rugby but picked it up fast. Recruited for college, starred at Quinnipiac University. Big part of the US women’s rugby sevens team. They lost in quarter finals. On the way, also became tik tok star in Tokyo

Elle Purrier St Pierre
From dairy farming to running.
Broke a 32 year old trials record for the 1500m last month. In 2020, broke the US women’s record for the indoor mile. Ranked 15th in the world in the 1500m.
7724B3DC-7D27-46CB-9B87-70C540D3E7F3.png

She will race in the semi finals, heat 1, 1500m today! 8/4/21, 6am Eastern. First five of the 13 qualify for finals.

Local Nbc news videos-

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
outstanding performance in the womens 5000.
A Gold after falling and recovering to win her 1500 heat just a few hours earlier.
Should Sifan Ahssen carry on to win both the 1500 and 10,000 as expected she will rank up with the 2 greatest Olympic runners ever Paavo Nuirimi and Emile Zatopek.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out on youtube. I don't get a tv channel with olympics, but love to keep abreast of track and field events. I guess I'll have to watch mens and womens 400m hurdles too. WRs falling like crazy!

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check it out on youtube. I don't get a tv channel with olympics, but love to keep abreast of track and field events. I guess I'll have to watch mens and womens 400m hurdles too. WRs falling like crazy!
Both 400 meter hurdle finals were awesome. Worth a watch.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
If you have cable you can see a lot of things with the nbc sports app on mobile. Pretty clunky, but works. The announcers are often different, which is weird. The IOC Tokyo 2020 app is good for scheduling and results or searching when things were.

Anyone see the speed climbing? Pretty crazy. I didn’t realize the route is standardized.
Honnold learns speed climbing-

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anyone see the speed climbing? Pretty crazy. I didn’t realize the route is standardized.
Honnold learns speed climbing-
I read The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer and was mesmerized by the first ascent of the Eiger Nordwand back in the day. Took 4 days or something and was very harrowing... Then the late great Ueli Steck practically ran up it in like 3hrs.. THAT'S speed climbing... It's also craziness...wansehn....

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That tie on Aug 1 in the Men's High Jump between two competitors who were long-time friends led to an extraordinarily crazy/emotional post-competition celebration:

Oops, video blocked, you can google it.

Same day the 1995 WR in Women's triple jump fell! Yulimar Rojas SMASHES world triple jump record to win gold

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I have a soft spot for the decathlon. It's kinda the original event, isn't it? The decathlon winner is the hero of the Olympics I think...
Used to be!
You know, when Bruce Jenner won it.
Now, seems we don’t care.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I would think the hips take much less abuse than running. Not nearly as much impact. Same with knees. They’re rotating the pelvis some it seems. Usually not an issue I would think. Spine issue maybe?

Friday, 8am Eastern,Sweden vs Canada, gold medal match women’s soccer.
Friday, 8:50am Eastern, women’s 1500m final. Vermonter Purrier St Pierre qualified. Got to be rough though, when at least 3 people can beat your best time by 5-7 secs.

Last edited:
TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
US playing Serbia in women’s volleyball now, 12am Eastern
US women’s basketball vs Serbia 12:40 am

Sponsor

Staff online