• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Johnny Carson's last TV show on the Tonight Show I think it was 1992.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
precision rarely happens with a bar bet.

May 22 just prior to US Civil War
one congressman beat another with a cane while in chambers.
now they only wish they could.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My five year old and I made a cake from scratch... :ogbiggrin:
PSX_20200522_191651.jpg

chip inderhol

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Annika Sorenstam played in the Colonial in 2003. Shot a one over 71 in the first round, but missed the cut. Saw her put on a clinic before the 95 Women's US Open @ Pumpkin Ridge; she was a great ball striker.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
And then have to explain to everyone that Central America is part of North America.
Yes, there is someone else in North America that knows that there is only a North and South America.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
On 23 May 2019 my wife and I were in the midst of a cross country drive returning from the West Coast to the East Coast (after spending the winter in Utah), but first we made a 75 mile detour over from Flagstaff, AZ to visit the south rim area of the Grand Canyon for a very memorable two days and one night. I hadn't been there since I was about age ten and my wife had never been there. May 23rd was a cold morning with temps in the low 40's and about two inches of new snow on the ground. I'm sure these long distance bikers we spotted on Rt 180 about 15 miles north of Flagstaff were caught by surprise:
23may20 snowy bikers.jpg

When we arrived at Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP) it was still cold and the views were partially obstructed by storm clouds. We had some ski clothing in the car and didn't hesitate to use it.
23may20 snowy grand canyon.jpg

As we were driving through California the day before, my wife called GCNP reservations to check just by chance for any last minute lodging openings and yes (!), they had a cabin open for the one night we hoped to visit. But our check-in time was in the afternoon, so we took the time for a nice lunch in the El Tovar Lodge.
23may20 el tovar lunch.jpg

When we finally got to our cabin around 3PM it was much better than expected! Though the exterior looks rustic, the inside of these historic 1940's era cabins are very nicely decorated. And most incredibly, we had a canyon view from our window and were just 40 feet from the rim. Whoever cancelled and enabled us to get this cabin last minute, must have reserved it a year in advance!?!
23may20 gcnp cabin.jpg

We simultaneously yelped with joy and hugged each other when we entered the interior. Best $200 I ever spent on lodging.
23may20 gcnp cabin interior.jpg

That evening the views began to clear as we strolled outside the cabin. We had a great stay and the weather quickly returned to normal May-like conditions.
23may20 grand canyon view.jpg

The sun shone the next morning and we had a beautiful day touring the park before continuing the drive to the East Coast.
23may20 next morning.jpg

The locals were not particularly surprised by the late-May snow in Flagstaff/GCNP and said it happens every 2-3 years. The elevation in this area of AZ is about 7000'.

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
On 23 May 2019 my wife and I were in the midst of a cross country drive returning from the West Coast to the East Coast (after spending the winter in Utah),
Great trip! But one small, West Coaster annoyance. Utah is on the West Coast like Illinois and Missouri are on the East Coast.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Great trip! But one small, West Coaster annoyance. Utah is on the West Coast like Illinois and Missouri are on the East Coast.

Oops. Good catch. My narrative is not the greatest. We had left Utah a couple weeks before and spent some time in Southern California visiting daughter and other relatives before heading to AZ and GCNP.

PS: speaking of Bonnie and Clyde, did you see the 2019 Costner/Harrelson film The Highwaymen? Good account of the Bonnie and Clyde saga from the point of view of law enforcement.

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
My son and I visited my sister who lived is Sedona, about 20 years ago, in mid-February. A major snowstorm came through the area, we actually had to postpone our trip to the Snowbowl because the interstates were shut down in the area. Finally went skiiing the next day, and the next day after that went up to the Grand Canyon. It was an amazing sight with 2 feet of snow around the rim, and nothing but rock near the bottom.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
On 23 May 2019 my wife and I were in the midst of a cross country drive returning from the West Coast to the East Coast (after spending the winter in Utah), but first we made a 75 mile detour over from Flagstaff, AZ to visit the south rim area of the Grand Canyon for a very memorable two days and one night. I hadn't been there since I was about age ten and my wife had never been there. May 23rd was a cold morning with temps in the low 40's and about two inches of new snow on the ground. I'm sure these long distance bikers we spotted on Rt 180 about 15 miles north of Flagstaff were caught by surprise:
View attachment 103116

When we arrived at Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP) it was still cold and the views were partially obstructed by storm clouds. We had some ski clothing in the car and didn't hesitate to use it.
View attachment 103117

As we were driving through California the day before, my wife called GCNP reservations to check just by chance for any last minute lodging openings and yes (!), they had a cabin open for the one night we hoped to visit. But our check-in time was in the afternoon, so we took the time for a nice lunch in the El Tovar Lodge.
View attachment 103118

When we finally got to our cabin around 3PM it was much better than expected! Though the exterior looks rustic, the inside of these historic 1940's era cabins are very nicely decorated. And most incredibly, we had a canyon view from our window and were just 40 feet from the rim. Whoever cancelled and enabled us to get this cabin last minute, must have reserved it a year in advance!?!
View attachment 103119

We simultaneously yelped with joy and hugged each other when we entered the interior. Best $200 I ever spent on lodging.
View attachment 103120

That evening the views began to clear as we strolled outside the cabin. We had a great stay and the weather quickly returned to normal May-like conditions.
View attachment 103121

The sun shone the next morning and we had a beautiful day touring the park before continuing the drive to the East Coast.
View attachment 103123

The locals were not particularly surprised by the late-May snow in Flagstaff/GCNP and said it happens every 2-3 years. The elevation in this area of AZ is about 7000'.
Nice trip.

I didn't arrive by bike, but I did encounter similar conditions while camping there.

20160430_204757.jpg

20160430_185525.jpg

Similar views, too. Like with your trip, it eventually cleared up.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes, there is someone else in North America that knows that there is only a North and South America.

Are we talking about an old school terra continuens definition of 'continent' with Panama as the break, or are we talking plate tectonics?

If canals like Panama are a valid break, then Europe has three continents minimum and probably over 20, if we start counting in France and stop somewhere in the Dnieper watershed, counting complete paths from sea to sea.

If we're talking plate tectonics, then the Caribbean plate is it's own plate. And we have volcanoes to prove it.

If we're talking pre-canal terra continuens, there is only one American continent.

Sponsor

Staff online