• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Are we talking about an old school terra continuens definition of 'continent' with Panama as the break, or are we talking plate tectonics?

If canals like Panama are a valid break, then Europe has three continents minimum and probably over 20, if we start counting in France and stop somewhere in the Dnieper watershed, counting complete paths from sea to sea.

If we're talking plate tectonics, then the Caribbean plate is it's own plate. And we have volcanoes to prove it.

If we're talking pre-canal terra continuens, there is only one American continent.
First, I am basically talking about what most of Americans should have been taught in grade school. Second, when I went through the Panama Canal most of the non American passengers I talked with "There in no continent of Central America". Third, when I worked in International Telecom all the companies I worked with used two America's North and South, many did use the term Latin America as South. As far as the Caribbean the term CALA was the term used for Caribbean And Latin American. I guess it is geography not geology but I am just sharing life experience.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott Dixon wins Indianapolis 500
25 May 2008
The first New Zealander to do so
He turned out to be a reasonable driver I'd say
Its funny listening to him talk now as he has a distinctive American accent /twang to his voice
Go the Kiwis!!!

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And you have that lingering New Zealand question....
1590353104943.png

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Scott Dixon wins Indianapolis 500
25 May 2008
The first New Zealander to do so
He turned out to be a reasonable driver I'd say
Its funny listening to him talk now as he has a distinctive American accent /twang to his voice
Go the Kiwis!!!

I remember Dixon as being an excellent driver. Teams, equipment, and luck have alot to do with who wins but Dixon is one of those drivers that people around here just call "fast".

DixonTix.jpg

Today is race day but the track is silent. Postponed until August.

SFrizzell_ToylandPicture_20160125_122147.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
May 25th 1980 40 years ago I got married.

One week prior to the wedding, Mt St Helens erupted. My coworkers were joking that it was an omen against my upcoming marriage. So much for omens.
Many happy returns of the day.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier

One week prior to the wedding, Mt St Helens erupted. My coworkers were joking that it was an omen against my upcoming marriage. So much for omens.
Happy anniversary! Hope yours was as nice as ours.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It’s May 27th and here are some reasons why this day matters in rock history:

In 1963, Bob Dylanreleased his iconic second album, The Free wheelin’ Bob Dylan.

In 1977, The Sex Pistolsreleased “God Save the Queen” during Her Majesty’s jubilee celebrations. The record was promptly banned from British airplay.

In 2001, Tool had the number one album in America with Lateralus.

In 1994, The Eagles played their first show in 14 years. The two-and-a-half-hour gig took place in Burbank, California and featured two encores.

In 2006, for the first time in their 22-year career, the Red Hot Chili Peppers scored a number one album with Stadium Arcadium.

in 2017 Gregg Allman, a founding member of The Allman Brothers Band died due to complications of liver cancer. Allman passed away at the age of 69 in his home in Savannah, Georgia.

And in 1964, 11 boys were suspended from a school in Coventry, England for having haircuts like Mick Jagger.

And that’s what happened today in rock history.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sorry I missed this. Happy anniversary!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember Dixon as being an excellent driver. Teams, equipment, and luck have alot to do with who wins but Dixon is one of those drivers that people around here just call "fast".

View attachment 103203

Today is race day but the track is silent. Postponed until August.

View attachment 103204
The Coca Cola 600 happened but there were no fans in the stands and it was.....intersting