• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I drilled a few small holes under the lowest point so melted snow drains instead of puddling. You can put towels or carpet down but the moisture still keeps the inside humid, especially if you live where it's a lot warmer at lower elevations after heading down the mountain. The way I totally carelessly and recklessly throw our skis in there and shuffle things around those dry gel packs would get destroyed immediately. I got a ski box so I could avoid the time suck of rearranging and packing and re packing that we had to deal with before getting the box.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool step @Andy Mink - care to share how to get one ?

Good timing @Davec1 - I’ll post a few photos. Box and skis are getting tucked away as we speak, seasons over for us today.
@Philpug got the one that hangs on the door latch. Mine hangs on the tire and I can't remember what it's called. I think it's still at Phil's house.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Find the weight limit for the roof rack in the owner's manual for your vehicle. It's might be a lot less than you think.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Find the weight limit for the roof rack in the owner's manual for your vehicle. It's might be a lot less than you think.

Real Men don't read the owner's manual!

Pile it on!
;-)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Yeah, at least be aware and put the heavy stuff in the vehicle as much as possible. It doesn't make sense to have a lot of weight up there from a center of gravity and handling perspective.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of handling, I re-stanced my Thule Alpine to be 2" down at the nose - by stacking pipe insulation foam under the rear claw. Much improved steering feel.

The inflatable chin ball didn't work at all - by the time I inflated it to 12psi, just enough to stop it flapping at 60mph, it was levering the entire box up off the roof. Almost pulled the claws clean out - through the ABS.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find it is more a guideline than a rule ;). Volvo roof racks used to be 100KG (about 220LB) when most other racks were 100LB. When I was bulding a pergola, I had over a dozen 2"x12"x14' pressure treated boards on the roof, its was so heavy that the Thule bars bent to the point I had to open the sunroof.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With this simple 1x bottom and 2x blocking, freshly tuned skis can be positioned upright and separated from other pairs.
The Thule box has a taller center rib that the notch on the bottom of the 1x sits down on and the 1x is cut snug to the width of the box so the rack stay situated and actually helps stiffen the thule somewhat.
I chose not to fasten it in case 5+ pairs ever needed to go.
Now that we added a Sprinter van last fall we have under seat storage for up to eight pairs, but that’s another thread

482AD2CE-7EA0-4006-8B06-63EFD779D962.jpeg
5B153445-22B4-479E-95EC-1911D7A702B7.jpeg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Only if damp and over 40 degrees. You can leave skis in the box as long as it's cold.... or they're dry .

The box I have is BLACK, on a sunny day, it gets over 40F in about 3 minutes even if still air temp is zero.
Yes, rust forms rapidly. Don't leave skis in the box, they will rust. It happened to me!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I cut a old foam camping sleeping pad (~1/2” thick) to put in the bottom of our Skybox. Keeps the contents much quieter on the rough roads up here.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The box I have is BLACK, on a sunny day, it gets over 40F in about 3 minutes even if still air temp is zero.
Yes, rust forms rapidly. Don't leave skis in the box, they will rust. It happened to me!
Going on the 9th season with the ski box in central North Kaklki. I leave skis in the box ALL season, but dry them off with a sham wow cloth when putting them up. The only rust I've experienced is very light surface where the skis touch together, little bit of water gets trapped there. And, that actually wipes off with a scotch brite pad. Ya, ride them hard and put them up wet and they will rust. Make sure they're dry and you'll be fine. It's no different than leaving them in your garage dry.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Going on the 9th season with the ski box in central North Kaklki. I leave skis in the box ALL season, but dry them off with a sham wow cloth when putting them up. The only rust I've experienced is very light surface where the skis touch together, little bit of water gets trapped there. And, that actually wipes off with a scotch brite pad. Ya, ride them hard and put them up wet and they will rust. Make sure they're dry and you'll be fine. It's no different than leaving them in your garage dry.

"wipes off with a scotch brite pad" says it all. Thanks for the clarification. Our acceptance levels differ.

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
With this simple 1x bottom and 2x blocking, freshly tuned skis can be positioned upright and separated from other pairs.
The Thule box has a taller center rib that the notch on the bottom of the 1x sits down on and the 1x is cut snug to the width of the box so the rack stay situated and actually helps stiffen the thule somewhat.
I chose not to fasten it in case 5+ pairs ever needed to go.
Now that we added a Sprinter van last fall we have under seat storage for up to eight pairs, but that’s another thread

View attachment 71944 View attachment 71945

Thanks for taking the time posting the pictures. It looks very practical. I will be copying your design. Thanks again.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
Step stool is one thing I had wondered about. Already noticed the need to stand in the door well, just to fit the box on the rack.

I stand on the top of the rear tires when setting up and loading the box. Not as helpful if you need to reach the front end of the box but it's higher than your average step stool, always there when you need it, and the traction is great.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I stand on the top of the rear tires when setting up and loading the box. Not as helpful if you need to reach the front end of the box but it's higher than your average step stool, always there when you need it, and the traction is great.
Ditto.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We got a version of this product and have been loving it.
@SkiNurse @bbinder both got to see it in action.

Sponsor

Staff online