• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thoughts on Atomic Clock

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That does not appear to be a clock but just an AQI monitor. That is something I can do on my NOAA app
You can change the display to clock, it has several display modes inf ull screen, but yes primary purpose is for aqi monitoring of your own indoors (in other words how well your filters are working).
Here is example clock screen from reviews

71owz41AVhL.jpg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sorry, running late to this meeting.. Time is relative??

Mrs G bought at least 4 different Atomic (or GPS?) clocks. All worked perfectly for a couple years. First one buttons on alarm and radio options wore out, stopped working.. Two of them stopped synching and showing correct time (one would show some other time zone even though set properly... then quit altogether.

This one, the first one, is still working fine but the alarm buttons are dead..

1676071241384.png

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My gut says to just get another one like this but was also wondering if there is a better atomic clock.

And down the black hole time suck of internet research you go! :geek:

I'd just buy what worked for 11 years, which, sadly, seems like an eternal product lifetime in today's often disposable world.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And down the black hole time suck of internet research you go! :geek:

I'd just buy what worked for 11 years, which, sadly, seems like an eternal product lifetime in today's often disposable world.
I just ordered the newer version of the same thing I have.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just ordered the newer version of the same thing I have.
Hard to go wrong with something you know and like. Let us know if the time syncs automatically. If not, it's probably the WWVB signal isn't what it used to be, and you'll want something that syncs over the Internet instead.

Do you have a source for a clock with AQI? I did a search and don't see availability.
The Google Nest Displays have the option to show outdoor AQI:

PXL_20230210_214120611.jpg

You can also set it to a full-screen clock with no pictures.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hard to go wrong with something you know and like. Let us know if the time syncs automatically. If not, it's probably the WWVB signal isn't what it used to be, and you'll want something that syncs over the Internet instead.

View attachment 192096

We have an Ecobee instead of a Nest because it is freindlier with our security cameras. I should probably look into it to see if it has AQI.
Edit: I just checked. The new Ecobee Premium has an AQI sensor. The version we installed two years ago does not.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Apparently strontium is now the element of choice.
Back before I retired from my Telecom career, I had the opportunity to work on one of the cesium clocks used to keep the phone network running. They cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and the phone company was happy to pay that for the accuracy in order to keep network running smoothly.

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 192096

Isn’t WWV based in Ft Collins?
Yet it has a W call sign. Was it moves from the naval observatory or something?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No learning new buttons!

The joy of this cannot be overstated.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^

I've reverted back to analog wind up watches for the most part.. But I don't bother setting the date because they sit in the drawer for days/weeks not getting wound while I wear other colors..

Who wears watches? Who uses clocks instead of phones these days???

1676081594043.png

James

Out There
Instructor

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^

I've reverted back to analog wind up watches for the most part.. But I don't bother setting the date because they sit in the drawer for days/weeks not getting wound while I wear other colors..

Who wears watches? Who uses clocks instead of phones these days???

View attachment 192106
Yup, I still use a watch. Not every day but still use one frequently. I think it is an age thing, as a senior person it is as much of a habit as anything else. When I am grilling I always time my steaks and burgers so the watch is my friend. When I was working as a craftsman working with electric circuit it was not something that was recommend because of the metal was a conductor and you can get a shock. After I got promoted to a desk job I used one every day. When I am out fishing I always wear a watch but it is a water proof model with either a rubber or nylon band because the salt water does a job on the watch.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The astronomical second (so, one could say astronomical time, in general) is being ditched in 2035 and replaced completely by the atomic clock. Apparently in order to keep the two in sync, a leap second was needed and the slowing of the earth's rotation was creating more difference between the two.

Behind a paywall, maybe:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/science/time-leap-second.html

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The astronomical second (so, one could say astronomical time, in general) is being ditched in 2035 and replaced completely by the atomic clock. Apparently in order to keep the two in sync, a leap second was needed and the slowing of the earth's rotation was creating more difference between the two.

Behind a paywall, maybe:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/science/time-leap-second.html
So which part of the earth should I set up my descendants to live in, so they won't freeze in the dark or fry when Earth stops rotating all together? Or will the orbit have decayed by then, and Earth have crashed into the sun?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How come on Star Trek the aliens who had never encountered earth people understood what a "day" or "hour" was?? :huh:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How come on Star Trek the aliens who had never encountered earth people understood what a "day" or "hour" was?? :huh:
Universal translator, duh and the thankless lifetime work of countless starfleet cultural researchers.
Or they ran it through their alien version of chatgpt which also translated the idioms and concepts.

Except when Picard and Dathom at el-adrel

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
In the mid-70's, a buddy and I were doing TSD car rallys. One of the pieces most people had was a talking time beacon clock reciever (I think made by Radio Shack). That way you never relied on a watch (at that time mechanical) for getting to the next checkpoint at the proper time. I have one in a box somewhere...I think...LOL

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
In the mid-70's, a buddy and I were doing TSD car rallys. One of the pieces most people had was a talking time beacon clock reciever (I think made by Radio Shack). That way you never relied on a watch (at that time mechanical) for getting to the next checkpoint at the proper time. I have one in a box somewhere...I think...LOL
What, no Curta 'pepper grinder'?

Sponsor

Staff online