• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Thoughts on Atomic Clock

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We've had the same basic atomic clock for 11 + years.
The past year we've had to set it manually because its not doing its atomic thing and finally the outside temperature is not being picked up, even after new batteries and resetting.
It's probably time to replace it.
My gut says to just get another one like this but was also wondering if there is a better atomic clock.

Knowing the immense knowledge in this community I'm asking for tribe input. Is there something I should be looking for in an atomic clock?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
That's the same one I have (been replaced once). It seems to be the gold standard for residential atomic clock and remote temperature display. I'll probably replace it with the exact same when this one dies....

James

Out There
Instructor
Had to look up atomic clocks because the only ones I was familiar with were operated by the government. I'm partial to the Naval Observatory myself. :)

Edit. Turns out my computer clock is off by 0.665 seconds. The horror.
The portable ones have been shown to work well mounted in the back of a DeLorean.
Is WWV still on the air broadcasting the atomic clock?
Before cell phones, that was your best source.

75B64189-B647-4DAF-AF2E-15E4C898A56C.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Had to look up atomic clocks because the only ones I was familiar with were operated by the government. I'm partial to the Naval Observatory myself. :)
Yea the interesting bit is this is nothing about the actual timekeeping itself ; but really more about the free radio signal service and protocol for broadcast and how devices can sync onto that radio data in the US.

So it's just by chance they are broadcasting the national master "atomic" clock time, but there is nothing atomic about the protocol. It's sexer though than calling this a WWVB time signal receiver though.
Don't get wound up though, it is accepted colloquial phrase. My atomic skis are non nuclear as well, and my blizzards work on bluebird days too, and even if there are only crows flying.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the topic of the clock itself, I don't think there is much from a technical perspective. The technical bits is all going to be inexpensive stuff made from the same factory in china and hit or miss.
I think the differentiators are more on just the personal features and design like: look/readability, size, color, does it light up, temp. You may also want extra weather things like humidity and barometer or weather forecast even. The more features you want though uses more power, and may push into a plugin model rather than mount anywhere AA batteries.

When in doubt go with the herd and something that has many recent good reviews.

La crosse is well established in personal clocks/weather stations.
I'm also partial to accurite as they more often tend to include humidity into their devices which I do pay attention to

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
On the topic of the clock itself, I don't think there is much from a technical perspective. The technical bits is all going to be inexpensive stuff made from the same factory in china and hit or miss.

Eh, even if they're total hit, components like film capacitors have an expected in-use lifetime of about 15 years. And that's completely aside from actual sensors.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I guess this maybe an issue of planned obsolescence. After a decade they think you should've gotten a new one by now.

My bets are either glitch or softcap in the logic for the year. If nonmalicious, there maybe some boundary errorchecking logic that year 2023 has got to be an error so stopped with the time sync update.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The atomic clock is still at NIST in Boulder, but the WWVB radio transmission was going to end a few years ago for budget reasons. They eventually kept it going, but I think with fewer transmitters, so the signal may not reach you. @Tricia, if that's the case, a new WWVB clock won't work either.

I think the best long-term solution for buying a new clock is to use one that's Internet-connected. Internet Network Time Protocol (and GPS and cell networks) sync up with and distribute time from the atomic clock. You do need to be careful an Internet-connected device is either from a company you can trust to keep it up to date with security patches, or you should segment it on guest wifi. We have Google Nest Hubs and Nest Hub Maxes that work well and are also nice picture frames and speakers.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, this has been helpful. How the heck do you guys find a way to go down a rabbit hole the depth of an abyss?
:cool:

FWIW, the time keeping is fine on this clock, but I like the weather station aspects of it and the outside temperature has been finicky for about a year. Now it doesn't pick up outside temps at all.
At least I got a straight forward answer from graham, pchewn and tball.

An atomic clock for only $40? No. It’s just a quartz clock that listens and syncs with NIST or GPS.
I totally get that, but I'm not the person who called it an atomic clock.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've got a regular old clock with and indoor/outdoor temp reading. The trick with the outdoor is putting the sensor someplace that doesn't get sun. And changing the batteries.
As noted above, this is over 10 years old and the transmitter for outside temp is worn out and no longer does its thing. It worked fine for several years.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I totally get that, but I'm not the person who called it an atomic clock.

I know, but it's just disingenuous marketing. Some company (probably foreign) trying to pawn off a technological wonder, when the real technological infrastructure they use and rely on is funded by US taxpayers.

Atomic clocks are fascinating. My son recently gave me a comprehensive overview, demonstrating his vast YouTube knowledge. Apparently they only have a few seconds of drift over universe creating timescales.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
demonstrating his vast YouTube knowledge.
:roflmao:

I know, but it's just disingenuous marketing. Some company (probably foreign) trying to pawn off a technological wonder, when the real technological infrastructure they use and rely on is funded by US taxpayers.

So, basically, just like GPS.

Atomic clocks are fascinating.

They're one of the few things we're reasonably sure of. Things like mass or weight? Good luck with that.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is WWV still on the air broadcasting the atomic clock?
I think it must be because I have a Casio Tough Solar watch which updates each night to a signal from the Atomic clock. Plus come to think of it, unless Tricia's clock updates psychically, it pretty much has to be updating via WWV.

Sponsor

Staff online