• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This forum needs a cheese thread

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20180307_164815.jpg

Soft rind, milky aroma is reflected in the milk/whey mouth feel. Not particularly buttery; would go well baked or drowned in fruity liqueur. Inoffensive beginner brie.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20180307_164748.jpg

This one is a bit odd. Ignore the monterrey Jacques name, it is nothing like monterrey jacks you are used to. Slices like a cheddar. No real goaty flavor. Very good gritty mouth feel, but so incredibly mild that it probably wouldn't stand up to a Beaujolais Nouveau let alone more robust reds. Just slight lactic tartness makes it quite nice with medium bodied whites.

Would make a top notch salad cheese with strong greens.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMG_20180308_063239.jpg

Montana does goat cheese? Sure why not. Though if you are looking for strong goaty flavors, look elsewhere. This one is tart! Creaminess is comparable to whipped cream cheese. Slightly oversalted by itself but would make really good tomato sandwiches

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I like to let Haystack Mountain cheeses get near their expiration date so they are extremely ripe.

At home I keep brie camembert&c. in the wine fridge, much readier to eat on a weeknight that way.
How is the Haystack in the red wrapper? Today's a travel day so didn't get a chance to grab one.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At home I keep brie camembert&c. in the wine fridge, much readier to eat on a weeknight that way.
How is the Haystack in the red wrapper? Today's a travel day so didn't get a chance to grab one.

I’m not sure I’ve had it. My favorite of theirs is Haystack Peak.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
upload_2018-3-8_11-15-23.png

This is my first submission for this thread. Cheese with Olives, Arugula, and Roasted Red Peppers YUMMMMMM.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This has subtle veining, with a milder flavor. More on the creamy than chalky side.
20180310_121532.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The upcoming NE Gathering will be a great chance to acquire Cabot Clothbound Cheddar!

Strangely, they don't seem to have it at the Cabot store on the road between the interstate and Stowe, but they do have it at a food and tchotchke store on the Stow Mountain Road. I forget the name, but remember what the store-front looks like.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Halloumi or hellim is a Cypriot semi-hard, unripened, brined cheese made from a mixture of goat's and sheep's milk, and sometimes also cow's milk. It has a high melting point and so can easily be fried or grilled. Wikipedia

Country of origin: Cyprus
Texture: Semi-soft
75A3009D-8506-4AF0-A168-6557FEE1DDDD.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Manchego is a cheese made in the La Mancha region of Spain from the milk of sheep of the manchega breed. Official manchego cheese is to be aged for between 60 days and two years. Wikipedia

9B039DA6-D436-4AB3-8A13-644B3B19CD35.jpeg

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The upcoming NE Gathering will be a great chance to acquire Cabot Clothbound Cheddar!

Strangely, they don't seem to have it at the Cabot store on the road between the interstate and Stowe

Don't forget to pop in to the new Vermont Artisan coffee location.

, but they do have it at a food and tchotchke store on the Stow Mountain Road. I forget the name, but remember what the store-front looks like.

I remember something called a wine and cheese shop on the left as I'm driving up, not it?

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember something called a wine and cheese shop on the left as I'm driving up, not it?

Just "Street-view"-ed it, and I think that is it. Couldn't they have come up with a clearer name, though?:doh:

This is also a demonstration of the somewhat-excessive fame of Heady Topper (though I do really, really like it)

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January