• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

This forum needs a cheese thread

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Fortunately, I live in Wisconsin and have several cheese factories close by. For curd lovers, fresh ever Friday morning, delivered everywhere.

Though my first real cheese tour was at Tillamook in 87, at least that I remembered.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fortunately, I live in Wisconsin and have several cheese factories close by. For curd lovers, fresh ever Friday morning, delivered everywhere.

Though my first real cheese tour was at Tillamook in 87, at least that I remembered.

Wisconsin ... ! sure, can't drive through without hitting a cheese house, just last Saturday on way to Granite Peak (which was btw a lovely spring day of skiing) for snacking at hotel.

better, 1/2 off on some winners only due to being "odd cuts" not suitable for retail (and Elk Sausage to boot) as well as "fresh" cheese curds, 12 yr old chedder, etc . squeeky and all. (pic was sent to poor spousal who couldn't go .. as I like taunting)

Cheese.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer

Whenever I am in Washington State I am on the lookout for Tillamook cheese.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Wisconsin ... ! sure, can't drive through without hitting a cheese house, just last Saturday on way to Granite Peak (which was btw a lovely spring day of skiing) for snacking at hotel.

better, 1/2 off on some winners only due to being "odd cuts" not suitable for retail (and Elk Sausage to boot) as well as "fresh" cheese curds, 12 yr old chedder, etc . squeeky and all. (pic was sent to poor spousal who couldn't go .. as I like taunting)

View attachment 42239

All that cheese and just one beer.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
^^^ Thanks for the correction, David. I have even driven by the factory in the town of Tillamook.:doh:

However, once I entered the USA my first stop on the way to the Utah Gathering was at a Walmart in Collville, WA where I bought a big brick of Tillamook.:)

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Twelve year old cheddar?? Never seen such a thing.
That must be good.

yes, unseen as it was my poor trip missing spouse's consolation prize, she did share however
cheese.jpg
:

All that cheese and just one beer.

well, truth was there were others .. but I mostly wined with the cheese :wine:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
This cheese producer is less than a mile from my old house, their product is second to none. Union, NJ
upload_2018-3-29_16-15-58.png

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to Mt Ste Anne and LeMassif this weekend, and am looking forward to eating the best cheese made in North America.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Heading to Mt Ste Anne and LeMassif this weekend, and am looking forward to eating the best cheese made in North America.

As in Riopelle and Tomme de Grosse-Ile? Not sure about best but it is good stuff.

On the further bright side, any cheese shop that stocks it will probably also have other decent cheesy noms. A good Mimolette can be a nice counterpoint to the above two.

James

Out There
Instructor
This cheese producer is less than a mile from my old house, their product is second to none. Union, NJ
View attachment 42931
Yummm... Do they make a special low moisture one for use in pizza?

Apparently, this Quebec Camembert got best in the world.

"L’Extra, produced in Saint-Hyacinthe, east of Montreal, beat the top French Camembert, Isigny Sainte-Mère, which won the title in 2010 but was placed 12th this year."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...roducers-cheesed-canadian-rival-scoops-prize/

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
le1608 , ciel de charlevoix, and le fleurmier from laiterie charlevoix. Migneron Charlevoix from MauriceDufour is a favourite as well. The Charlevoix region is a well known area of artisanal cheese makers

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently, this Quebec Camembert got best in the world.

"L’Extra, produced in Saint-Hyacinthe, east of Montreal, beat the top French Camembert, Isigny Sainte-Mère, which won the title in 2010 but was placed 12th this year."
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...roducers-cheesed-canadian-rival-scoops-prize/[/QUOTE]

The French are quite pissed about it too. They want to change the rules of the competition

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yummm... Do they make a special low moisture one for use in pizza?

I have never asked for the low moisture type but they most likely do make it. They do make a smoked mozzarella that you will have a tuff time finding better.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Important lessons from the recent New England Gathering:
  1. The Wine and Cheese shop on the Stowe Mountain Road always closes 5 minutes before mdf and @Tony S arrive. Now this is based on a limited sample size, but so far it is supported at a high confidence level.
  2. The Red Hen Bakery closes 5 minutes after Tony and mdf arrive, but the only fresh bread they have left is a copiously-seeded Easter bread which is great by itself, but does not go well with cheese.
  3. The Cabot store does have Clothbound Cheddar; it just is not put out with the free samples.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My brother eats a stinky Austrian mountain cheese that smells like my ass the morning after a tough Guinness night out.. It is surprisingly good tasting though..it's got kind of a stinky tofu thing about it. I've never found it here... Like I say, mustard, cheese, beer and brats..god love the Bavarians.. :D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January