• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Things you would buy if you had a little disposable income

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't think the shade sail itself would be too difficult, but I wouldn't get on a ladder in that kind of wind! But I also think it would withstand them. I have one in Sonoma Cty. I originally planned to take it down in the winter, but I don't. 70-100? We don't get that, but its been up 4 yrs and is holding strong. Also, if it does get shredded, the shade sail itself is very cheap--$20-$40. Turnbuckle's and eye hooks maybe $10 but you won't be replacing those. If you don't have someplace to hook it on the outer edge, you may need to put up a very sturdy post(s), but still a lot cheaper than a pergola. I've got them hooked to the house on one side and trees on the other. And because they are permeable (usually 80-90% shade), you don't get a solar effect under them. They keep out anything less than a heavy downpour too.

So, link? Name? I'd like to see some reviews from Colorado. Definitely a decent possibility and sidesteps all the decisions I was talking about. But I don't see a lot of this sort of thing around here, and I fear I know why ...

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would like someone else to pain our house so we could go play.
I was thinking cleaning/laundry person for the same reason, but thought it would be deemed too practical. But it sounds luxurious to me.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, link? Name? I'd like to see some reviews from Colorado. Definitely a decent possibility and sidesteps all the decisions I was talking about. But I don't see a lot of this sort of thing around here, and I fear I know why ...
Well, I can show you many examples:

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=shade+sail

Part of it is finding the right size, shape, and color for your need.

As to reviews from colorado? :huh: Pretty common around here.We definitely get some extreme winds in the winter. But probably not 70+.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
image.jpg

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I wants a pergola. Have for years. Our deck reaches solar temps in the summer. But I keep waffling about what exactly I want to do - keep the redwood deck and put a wooden pergola up? But the dang thing needs to be refinished constantly (see: intense sun). Replace it all with synthetic, which is supposed to last longer? So wasteful. Mix and match? Dunno how that would go ...

Also, my husband is a total mosquito magnet. I'm the only one using the deck.

So, no pergola yet.

We are going through the same process, at least as far as composite vs. redwood for a major deck expansion. The composite stuff actually isn't wasteful - it's made mostly from recycled materials. But my deck is south facing, so I'm not sure it doesn't get too hot since the surface is plastic...and then we need more shade...

Also, does every family have a mosquito magnet? My wife and one of my sons provide me with full protection. It's amazing.

Now I just need my $10K.

I was also thinking that if it was substantially more disposable income that I would probably prep the Cruiser for the zombie apocalypse. The full bullet proof armoring setup, extended fuel tank, onboard beer fridge, etc. Not that zombies shoot you (???), but it serves multiple purposes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
But my deck is south facing, so I'm not sure it doesn't get too hot since the surface is plastic...and then we need more shade...

We're south facing, too. Between that and the north facing permafrost garage on the front ... I'd have to think real hard about getting another north-facing house. oh, there you go. Disposable income. We've talked about getting a heated driveway, but that's pretty far out on disposable income nice to haves.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wants a pergola. Have for years. Our deck reaches solar temps in the summer. But I keep waffling about what exactly I want to do - keep the redwood deck and put a wooden pergola up? But the dang thing needs to be refinished constantly (see: intense sun). Replace it all with synthetic, which is supposed to last longer? So wasteful. Mix and match? Dunno how that would go ...

Also, my husband is a total mosquito magnet. I'm the only one using the deck.

So, no pergola yet.
If you had a pergola or some other such thing, you could (perhaps) install some kind of mosquito netting to avoid those pests during peak hours.
A friend of ours installed actual curtains on their patio in the Boulder area, which looks really attractive.
13567308_10155003268844867_636814145508220018_n.jpg

Inside image.
13567090_10155003268909867_8765647521032130041_n.jpg

I would like someone else to paint our house so we could go play.
Three years ago we painted our pergola, which was interesting to say the least.
We hired someone to paint our house two years ago. Money well spent! Besides the fact that neither Phil or I like ladders, and have a two story house, we would never consider painting our house on our own. Sometimes you have to know what you need to pay to have done. The Painter had some really good ideas about changing some of the trim color to give the house a warmer feel. Changed the black trim around the garage doors and used a creamier shade of white.
Old picture of our house. Taken from a realestate ad.
IS16yo2nwoilv37.jpg

We don't really have any full pictures of our house after the painting, but here is a partial. ..... Wait a minute while I go get one.
IMG_8333.jpeg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you had a pergola or some other such thing, you could (perhaps) install some kind of mosquito netting to avoid those pests during peak hours.
A friend of ours installed actual curtains on their patio in the Boulder area, which looks really attractive.

Inside image.

Three years ago we painted our pergola, which was interesting to say the least.
We hired someone to paint our house two years ago. Money well spent! Besides the fact that neither Phil or I like ladders, and have a two story house, we would never consider painting our house on our own. Sometimes you have to know what you need to pay to have done. The Painter had some really good ideas about changing some of the trim color to give the house a warmer feel. Changed the black trim around the garage doors and used a creamier shade of white.
Old picture of our house. Taken from a realestate ad.
IS16yo2nwoilv37.jpg

We don't really have any full pictures of our house after the painting, but here is a partial. ..... Wait a minute while I go get one. View attachment 11212
Boy, that apple tree has grown

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I'd remodel our bathroom (remodel the previous remodel, as it were) and redo some of the landscaping so it would be easier to maintain as I get older.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Inside image.

If you put up curtains, you won't see the zombies coming, which we should all recognize is a clear benefit of living in the West in the first place.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Inside image.

Despite @nay 's valid concerns about the zombie apocalypse (husband's ... collection should keep them at bay for a while), this is brilliant. I mean it's kind of impossible to actually see the lovely yard we're currently spending mumblety-mumble dollars getting re-landscaped, but might be the only way to get Eric to actually sit outside for a meal or something - I miss that from my childhood days living with my parents. We almost always had dinner on the deck. I don't remember massive mosquito issues then - even in VA - it was an upstairs deck - is that why? Do mosquitos prefer to fly low?

Can you find out what they do for storms? Do they take it down for the winter? Etc?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If you put up curtains, you won't see the zombies coming, which we should all recognize is a clear benefit of living in the West in the first place.

The coming of the Zombies is a benefit of living out west? :eek:
Who would have thunk.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The coming of the Zombies is a benefit of living out west? :eek:
Who would have thunk.

Visibility. Also cold to presumably freeze them or at least slow them over the winter. Montana would be better, of course.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Ahh, that explains why I never ran across Zombies during my winters out west. Definitely did not see any in Montana. In fact, didn't see too much of anything in Montana other than snow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ahh, that explains why I never ran across Zombies during my winters out west. Definitely did not see any in Montana. In fact, didn't see too much of anything in Montana other than snow.

Coulda been skiing right on top of 'em!

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

Nobody has ever made a zombie movie in the west for a reason. Ambling slowly across a prairie - you'd get the plague before you ate any brains.

Sponsor

Staff online