• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The article is available on the PowMow website.

When I first heard about this idea a number of years ago, it actually sounded kinda nice. But the thing described in this article is hideous. We already are too silo-ed in this country and this is even worse. It's not enough to hobnob with other rich. These people must be "like-minded" uber-rich so they can bask in their collective superiority. :eek:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This has been animadverted for some considerable time and the article makes it clear why not much traction has developed. What a bunch of self-absorbed twits!

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
The article is available on the PowMow website.
Thanks! It's https://www.powdermountain.com/wsj-article for anyone still having trouble.

When I first heard about this idea a number of years ago, it actually sounded kinda nice. But the thing described in this article is hideous. We already are too silo-ed in this country and this is even worse. It's not enough to hobnob with other rich. These people must be "like-minded" uber-rich so they can bask in their collective superiority. :eek:
Like it or not, real estate at top ski areas is just too expensive for most working-class Americans. The article mentioned an in-progress project with condos starting at $300k... that price point opens ownership at PowMow to a much more diverse cross-section than most other big-time ski developments. Most any development's going to have CC&Rs and marketing spin... PowMow's aiming at a younger, more "coastal" market. And it looks like they're having at least limited success. So other developers have to be watching and thinking about what they can do along those same lines, since the pool of rich baby boomers is just about tapped out.

And as for "hideous," I think the Yellowstone Club and this new proposed private ski club across the interstate from Snowbasin earn the title more clearly than PowMow. Well-meaning self-congratulatory millennials are tedious, yes, but their good intentions might translate to some positive outcomes. Ultra-rich who are concerned about having neighborhoods, ski runs, and ski lifts where no one who's not ultra-rich can come? No thanks!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Well-meaning self-congratulatory millennials are tedious, yes, but their good intentions might translate to some positive outcomes
^I was going to say something similar about “man-bun hipsters” but this works.^
Money is power & maybe some of that will be thrown in a positive direction.

I spent 15 years right down the road & half my time there now. So far the "Summit" impact has been more positive than negative & they have made some much needed improvements. Development seems to be slow & methodical but their growth management has been more proactive than the reactionary mistakes of the resort just across the valley.

When I first came to the Ogden Valley in 2000, I looked at Powder Mountain and it’s 12,000 acres of private land and said wow this may be the final frontier for ski area development in the lower 48. There was no way it would remain sustainable as the quiet, slow paced area the locals came to know and love. In fact, it probably would have gone the way of the dodo as so many other small mom & pop areas in the US. There were a couple of ill fated & greedy attempts since the original owners sold & before the Summit group came in.

I think if they stick with their vision and are able to sell the illusion we will all end up better off then we will with the model the corporate machine/empire VR & Alterra are promoting.
464362CA-4C4D-4953-A3C0-1911F1DE196F.jpeg

Eventually there will be homes on these hillsides (already a few) but there was also no lift or MTB trails here a few years ago...
E747BE94-C7CC-488C-A419-C99023E2464B.jpeg

Last edited:

KansasTraverse

Booting up
Skier
What are your thoughts on the skiers caps? Are the numbers sustainable? The proposed homesites and condo numbers don't seem to jive with a continued cap. Being able to duck into the trees or hike to Raintree and find not a soul is part of what makes PowMow special.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We talked about this in our Trip Report http://bit.ly/Powmou19
One of the things that I was fascinated about with these mountain homes is that the lines, which have a very contemporary look actually blend in with the mountain more than the traditional big mountain home.
They almost look like a rock feature at a distance.
Also, the roofs of several of these homes have landscape on them.
I don't have a dog in the fight, but I was surprised how well they blended with the mountain side.
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 8.10.12 AM.png

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like it or not, real estate at top ski areas is just too expensive for most working-class Americans. The article mentioned an in-progress project with condos starting at $300k... that price point opens ownership at PowMow to a much more diverse cross-section than most other big-time ski developments.
I was looking at condos at Snowbird listed from $500k to $800k. With HOA fees around $2500 a month i “remembered” I really want to buy in Granite or Cottonwood Heights

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
What are your thoughts on the skiers caps? Are the numbers sustainable? The proposed homesites and condo numbers don't seem to jive with a continued cap. Being able to duck into the trees or hike to Raintree and find not a soul is part of what makes PowMow special.
So far I think they have only reached the cap a few times. There is also a limit on season passes. Last I heard, there were less than 100 adult passes left for this season. Originally it was rumored that the new lifts (Village & Mary's) would be private for the Summit members & property owners. Other rumors were that the whole resort would be private. We will see what the future brings.

Snowbasin used to be special, not so much anymore. They sell an unlimited numberof passes, somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,000+. Imagine if every pass holder showed up on the same day! Sometimes it seems like they do.

Once we start talking about a place being special, it's probably not so special anymore.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right you are @New2 Yellowstone is definitely the nadir.

Glad that the original vision has not been totally detoured. In my defense, the houses featured were architectural trophies for folks in their 50s to mid 70's, not exactly hip, young coasters. Hopefully it was just the tone of the article that gave it that smug, self-satisfied air. The 300K condos are "micro" condos, whatever the heck that is. The others start at 600K and go to over a million; that seems pretty much in line with mega-corp resort prices for condos to me.

That said, I am happy to be wrong as PowMow is someplace I've always wanted to ski and it would be nice to see a successful alternative model to either family run and financially fragile (like my local mountain) or full-on Disneyesque.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
In all honesty, I really like the featured designs.

My wife sent me the article and we kinda like the designs too. She has been talking about buying a place in UT and we've been tossing around ideas. But I think it will be another 2 years before we really have the time to commit to another out of state property adventure. By then the kids will be 6 so it will be easier to travel too.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My experience living at altitude in snow country is that flat roofed buildings are problematic Just another thing you have to deal with. I mention this because the one building design I see on post #10 is flat roofed. Snow load on a flat roof can't be ignored, it's gotta be addressed. Even snow load on a pitched roof can cause problems, though they are easier to handle. And don't get me started on the Yellowstone Club.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
My experience living at altitude in snow country is that flat roofed buildings are problematic Just another thing you have to deal with. I mention this because the one building design I see on post #10 is flat roofed. Snow load on a flat roof can't be ignored, it's gotta be addressed. Even snow load on a pitched roof can cause problems, though they are easier to handle. And don't get me started on the Yellowstone Club.

Snow load can be designed for. If you are in WA, you are probably aware that the ski school at Mt Baker has a flat roof. You don’t get much more snow load than that.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor

:roflmao::roflmao: You're forgetting that it's Utah featherlight powder!!!
:roflmao:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Regardless of home design, one constant still remains: 2nd homes in ski country or at least around 80% of them end up empty 80% of the time.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January