• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

There are bakeries and there are bakeries

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There might be some truth in that. I distinctly remember a few awful sugar crash memories.

Really put me off sugary bake goods. (strangely enough, ice cream don't seem to do that)

Some things need to be enjoyed, not analyzed!:ogbiggrin:

I’m a Type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump. You have to know these things in order to manage day to day.

It’s also why I don’t waste time with crappy quality baked goods. If I’m going to guess at dosing for an undetermined amount of carbs, and how long it will take for my glucose levels to rise, it better be worth it.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I'm not diabetic. My sugar crash is temporary and harmless, even though unpleasant. It's just my body telling me what's bad for me, and not to do it again too soon. ogwink

There're so many good desserts without those drawbacks. I don't feel like I need to bother with the hassle.

I don't exactly "analyze" it. Just keeping score on what my body don't tolerate. Everything else is all good. Life is sweet. Just not baked.ogsmile

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is that time of year that the Panettone is out for everyone to enjoy.
PXL_20221225_164641477~2.jpg

Also on the plate is Poppyseed roll and Prune roll for Christmas morning breakfast.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure about their panettone, but I imagine you've checked out the Heidelberg Bakery in Arlington, VA: http://heidelbergbakery.com/
Once in around 1999 I spent a week in Vienna, Austria on business. I was able to sample Sacher-torte (specialized chocolate cake) from it's place of origin, the Sacher Hotel. A week later back home I tried the Sacher-torte from the Heidelberg Bakery and it was better:micdrop:

Been around and making yummy stuff for much of my life:
About Us
arlington-connection.preview.png

When Wolfgang Büchler came to Washington from Heidelberg, Germany, he couldn’t speak a word of English and never imagined he would be designing cakes for Presidents, Ambassadors and so many of the wonderful people living in the DC area.

Although Wolfgang and his wife Carla have been innovating since 1975, success has not come easy. When they brought Crusty, European-style breads made with imported flour to Washington in the 1970’s, customers returned the breads, thinking they were stale. “I gave them their money back,” said Wolfgang. “Today, Washington demands our authentic breads, and we are constantly developing new recipes to meet their tastes.”

Now serving a third generation of customers, the couple has made a lasting impact on the culture of the Capital City. “When you bake a couple’s wedding cake, they want everything to be perfect,” said Carla Büchler. “Now we are making cakes for some of those couple’s grandchildren.” Heidelberg customers tend to come back, year after year.

“Our bakery is very important to me. I met Carla when I hired her to work in the store. Now, I have my children working with me. What can I say, but success is sweet.”

The Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe, setting trends since 1975, is a full-line European bakery and deli that offers the best of both continents.

From the breakfast pastries and distinctive breads to the deli foods and delectable desserts, Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe is a one-stop gourmet haven with a friendly, personal atmosphere. So take a number and enjoy the Heidelberg experience!
Update on Heidelberg Bakery in Arlington VA: one of my kids used ubereats to send some goodies from this bakery during the Holidays this year. They included four chocolate eclairs. Even though I've shopped there on and off over the decades, this is an item I had never bought from the bakery before. The pastry was crispy and light, the filling was delicious and like a cross between custard and whipped cream, the strip of chocolate on top was thick like a dense, dark cake frosting. OMG, they were perfect! Photo from their website :
Chocolate Eclair heidelberg bakery.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
Bad news when one of the iconic bakeries shut down. Dom's in Hoboken, NJ closing after 40 years. Best know for the bread they bake, but I have shared in post #124 of this thread a picture of one of their best products.
Since I didn't find dessert thread I guessed I would put this photo here. It did come from a Baker in Hoboken, NJ.
View attachment 173497

Just don't ask me how to spell it.

Uncle-A

Skier
Teixira's Bakery in the Ironbound section of Newark, NJ known for the their Spanish and Portuguese baked goods.
PXL_20230528_010557422.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20230528_010521269.MP~2.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A perfect pain au raisins is my gold standard for swooning over with an espresso. I'm sure @James could whip one up with some leaf time.

Uncle-A

Skier
My daughter is getting married and she has to pick a wedding cake. The bakery that supplies the catering hall where the wedding is taking place provides a cake sampling for the bride. These are the samples she bought to my house tonight.
PXL_20230621_232708821~2.jpg

The bottom one is a Lemon filled cake. The next one up is a strawberry filling and the one to the right is a chocolate moose. The single slice is what they call a Tuxedo Cake and it is Almond flavored with raspberry filling.
The Tuxedo Cake was my favorite with the Lemon filled number two, the Strawberry filled came in third and last was the chocolate moose. All this was provided by The Swiss Bakery in Scotch Plains NJ. If you ever get there I would recommend their Apricot Danish they are top notch.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a bakery in Mammoth that @Keys2Ski is keen on visiting every time she's there.
I don't remember the name of it....on purpose. ;)

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a bakery in Mammoth that @Keys2Ski is keen on visiting every time she's there.
I don't remember the name of it....on purpose. ;)
It's called Shea Schat's. You're welcome.

Uncle-A

Skier
I forgot to post this a few days ago. It is that time of the year when the Panatone begins to show up in bakeries again.

Sponsor

Staff online