• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

There are bakeries and there are bakeries

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure about their panettone, but I imagine you've checked out the Heidelberg Bakery in Arlington, VA: http://heidelbergbakery.com/
Once in around 1999 I spent a week in Vienna, Austria on business. I was able to sample Sacher-torte (specialized chocolate cake) from it's place of origin, the Sacher Hotel. A week later back home I tried the Sacher-torte from the Heidelberg Baker and it was better:micdrop:

Been around and making yummy stuff for much of my life:
About Us
arlington-connection.preview.png

When Wolfgang Büchler came to Washington from Heidelberg, Germany, he couldn’t speak a word of English and never imagined he would be designing cakes for Presidents, Ambassadors and so many of the wonderful people living in the DC area.

Although Wolfgang and his wife Carla have been innovating since 1975, success has not come easy. When they brought Crusty, European-style breads made with imported flour to Washington in the 1970’s, customers returned the breads, thinking they were stale. “I gave them their money back,” said Wolfgang. “Today, Washington demands our authentic breads, and we are constantly developing new recipes to meet their tastes.”

Now serving a third generation of customers, the couple has made a lasting impact on the culture of the Capital City. “When you bake a couple’s wedding cake, they want everything to be perfect,” said Carla Büchler. “Now we are making cakes for some of those couple’s grandchildren.” Heidelberg customers tend to come back, year after year.

“Our bakery is very important to me. I met Carla when I hired her to work in the store. Now, I have my children working with me. What can I say, but success is sweet.”

The Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe, setting trends since 1975, is a full-line European bakery and deli that offers the best of both continents.

From the breakfast pastries and distinctive breads to the deli foods and delectable desserts, Heidelberg Pastry Shoppe is a one-stop gourmet haven with a friendly, personal atmosphere. So take a number and enjoy the Heidelberg experience!

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Fruit cake is to panettone like Pinocchio is to a real kid. It can try real hard but it is still wooden inside.

Sourdough is to panettone like fermented mares milk is to cheesecake. Both involve careful fermentation at some point, I suppose.

Babka is to panettone like a folk singer is to a soprano at La Scala. I'm sure it takes a bit of talent to do folk singing.

Bagels are to panettone like a boiled dinner is to beef wellington - hey boiling requires skill too.

:) :D :D

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's funny I had a lot of Italian friends in high school and we used to go to the bakery and they'd make fun of the panettones. I guess they had them all the time.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's funny I had a lot of Italian friends in high school and we used to go to the bakery and they'd make fun of the panettones. I guess they had them all the time.
They may have made fun of them because they always had "Home Made" and not from a bakery. It also may be a generational thing 1. My mother made it at home, 2. I went to the bakery, and 3. my daughter buys it at a supermarket.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Recollections of bakeries experienced on my various ski trips:

Sherbrooke, QC; Apr 2008 stopped at a small little place in downtown with a creek/culvert flowing behind it out the back door. Not sure it's there anymore. Not too expensive. Bought a bunch of stuff for the drive back to VA after skiing MSA and Le Massif. The white bread (large loaf thicker than a baguette) had a super crispy crust and to this day I consider it the best bread I've ever eaten.

Breckenridge, CO: La Francaise, eaten there several visits in recent years. Kind of expensive, but everything's quite good including quiche, pastries, croissants, etc.

Frisco, CO: not far from above, the Butterhorn Bakery, very popular, quite good. More of a cafe than a bakery at this point, but good stuff.

Austria, province of Salzburg: 2003 great baked goods everywhere. Europe in general is a bread lover's paradise. Great stuff offered with continental breakfasts at many hotels. I learned to stuff breakfast croissants with Nutella on this trip and carry them in my pocket for lunch on the slopes.

Let me ponder this topic. There has to be a ton more I can list.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Commercial/ industrial panettones are showing up in stores now. Given shipping problems, we may as well re-fire this thread now.

Uncle-A

Skier
Commercial/ industrial panettones are showing up in stores now. Given shipping problems, we may as well re-fire this thread now.
They always show up this time of year for the holidays.

Uncle-A

Skier
Bakeries are becoming a thing of the past, people today are going to supermarket bakeries like the ones in the Costco stores. I know of only three good old fashion bakeries and one of them is about two hours away it is known for it's crumb cake and salt sticks. The second is one hour away, it's know for the European pastries like the custered cups. The third is a half hour away that is known for it's breads Seeded Rye and Russian Rye. Running a bakery is a difficulty life with terrible hours. Owners/parents work hard to give their families a better life, send their kids to college and the children don't want to take over the family business and it eventually close as the parents retire.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am not a big baked goods guy. Love the stuff, but have type 2 diabetes and am always watching my weight. Basically I try to eat like a heart patient. Robin, my better half also avoids carbs like the plague.

That said, we live right next to a town, Port Chester, NY that has a few big contract bakeries. If we are out walking, or riding our bikes or even driving the smell of fresh baked bread just wafts over the town and man does it smell good.

One bakery in particular, Neri's is locally famous. There is always a line out the door and they only take cash. I go when we are having company.

Bagels are my jam though. God I miss bagels. Maybe indulge a 2-4 times a year.