• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
One thing for me is the more snow there is, the more likely I'll happily do what's needed to get there. I'll drive 30 mph for 2 hours to get to the hill if there's 9" there. I've had TWO 9' days in 10 years of skiing in MN though

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
sometimes the drive can be more memorable than what you can ski
once left Vancouver during a big snow storm and headed to Vernon, timing looked perfect.
had the 4x4 engaged all the way, even made fresh highway tracks for about 300k once we wiggled past all the jackknifed semis blocking the highway.
long slow drive got in well after midnight but boy was it was going to be sweet the next day
In the morning Silver Star announced they would not open.
Too much snow combined with high winds plus all the roads were closed.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I spent 4 years living in the Lehigh Valley. I swear, plow drivers in PA don't know their asses from their elbows. Worst winter road maintenance I've ever seen. I'd rather drive in Vermont or Maine with a foot coming down than drive from Allentown to Blue Mt with two inches.

Aahh, I work in Delaware. Have you seen their plow drivers? :nono:

AJP

Booting up
Skier
The best setup is when you dont have a white knuckle drive on a powder day. In Northern Vermont between Stowe and Jay Peak this can happen quite a few times each winter. The setup is typically orographically enhanced upslope snow showers. This happened earlier this week on monday and tuesday when Jay had a 14inch 48hour total and less than 2 miles away the valley recieved a dusting. Best of both worlds, easy drive and fresh snow that typically gets very little attention from the weather outlets as it effects such a small population.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I drive 2.5 hours to ski here in Michigan and I haven't white knuckled since i was a teenager! The harder it's snowing the more fun it is! Icy roads suck or bad weather while driving to the Rockies gets old after a few hours though.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The best setup is when you dont have a white knuckle drive on a powder day. In Northern Vermont between Stowe and Jay Peak this can happen quite a few times each winter. The setup is typically orographically enhanced upslope snow showers. This happened earlier this week on monday and tuesday when Jay had a 14inch 48hour total and less than 2 miles away the valley recieved a dusting. Best of both worlds, easy drive and fresh snow that typically gets very little attention from the weather outlets as it effects such a small population.

I have had that happen a few times when driving to Jay Peak. Clear nights, not a hint of snow until close to the exit off 91. Then barely making up to the old Hotel Jay on a slippery Rt 242 and waking up to a foot of powder the next morning!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So in my younger years I used to love to drive during/right after a snow storm to get to the ski hills (here in MN) asap to ski some fresh snow. I'm mainly talking about storms of 4"+ that don't happen all that often around here. Maybe 3 times per year.

I've made some serious white knuckle drives in my time but also skied some great snow as well. My attitude has always been that with as few 'powder' days as we get around here I needed to take advantage of them.

In the last 1-2 years however the drive doesn't seem worth it for the skiing for me. The chances of going into the ditch or crashing into another driver and the anxiety the drive brings just don't seen worth it. Also, the more it snows the worst the roads are going to be.

My question, Pugskiers, is how do you guys feel about this? Is the white knuckle drive worth it for you?

It is worth it most of the time. I have taken some measures to make it safer, like putting winter tires on my vehicle and taking a much closer look online at the weather and road conditions. Back in the day I ignorantly just went without much prep.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So today and tomorrow are perfect examples for this thread. I'm driving to Killington this afternoon and tonight in hopes of fresh snow tomorrow. Apparently a lot of variability in the forecasts for the snow tomorrow and I had to hard sell the wife on making the trip due to forecast for brutal cold on Sunday and Monday. She still is recovering from our New Year's trip!
The van is already loaded and equipped with Blizzaks.:golfclap:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're predicting a "snow event" here also. The car and truck will be backed into the driveway for easy exit. Of course it may not happen, but best to be prepared.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski Tahoe resorts and for the last couple decades that more often is Kirkwood, one of the snowiest resorts anywhere. Lots of multi foot storms every winter and though that can mean epic fresh days for those resident at a resort, it also means for those not resident, highways are often closed or tedious to travel on even with 4WD. I've never had a serious accident I could not drive away from in over 4 decades but that is not just the result of being conservative and driving skill but also luck. The one advice I will offer is once a snow sports enthusiast drives 4WD on snowy roads, they will never buy another 2WD car. In any case the choice of whether to chance driving or stay away is a complex issue that weighs against how great skiing might be.

DodgeR-au_ch8cw.jpg
Firstly, that picture is awesome. Looks like something out of the old xmas TV programs where the Burl Ives snowman is going to stroll up and start narrating one of the Christmas tales :)

As for 4WD? Im only relaying what Ive read and you can find the tests and write-ups about this in quite a few places. 4WD will gain some advantage in getting you going out of stuck situations, etc. But it will not grip the iced road any better as for turning, controlling, and breaking. And honestly those are the most important things as for having an accident. Its having dedicated snow tires (according to these tests) that matter far much more than 4WD does. People too often confuse the ability of 4WD (or also AWD fwiw) as being superior in holding the road and control. The breaking, controlling and steering tests indicate that dedicated snow tires on a front wheel drive vehicle will actually out perform a 4WD vehicle that has all season tires in those most important areas of concern. Going around a turn on an iced over road is not any easier with 4WD nor is trying to break or stop as you approach it. In fact the higher vehicle (more top heavy) as well as the heavier vehicle is worse for that. The whole scenario creates more leverage (in a negative way) and once sliding (not in control) that leverage takes you much further in that continued wrong direction. Take from it what you will, but Im only relaying the info as I have read and understand it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Temps in the 50s Saturday with rain coming in late Saturday in to Sunday as the temps then drop to low teens. Might be some snow but definitely looking like rain then huge temp drop.. Pushed my Sunday morning drive to Monday instead because I'm off Monday. If I wasn't off Monday I'd push that ski day back another week. I've got AWD, good tires, and even some cable chains that I've never used on the Subaru.. Not recommended for that vehicle anyway, but would take the chance if I was somewhere REALLY icy, solid ice I needed to get out of immediately. Don't even pack them for regular ski trips anymore.. Tires and AWD have been totally sufficient on even some pretty icy conditions but there is a point where any vehicle will need studs or chains to navigate super icy sleet covered terrain with steep hills and curves.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting thread. Honestly whats truly worth anything risky? I mean its always worth it.......but like anything else, that's only right up until the time something goes wrong and then it no longer becomes worth it.

For me and my family since I was little and now at 53 with my own family, life and resources of time and money never allowed skiing to be something I did whenever I felt like it or whenever there was fresh snow. You just went when you could. Yea, there was a time as a teen and early 20's (maybe ten years or so) where I skied a lot more often ad cant say I/we didn't drive up intentionally when conditions were fresh for that purpose. But 98% of the time it was about going when life allowed. if that happened to be a fresh snow trip than that's what it was.
If it was poor driving conditions we went anyway. But we didn't seek out the fresh by intentionally driving through ridiculous conditions. And in fact there were Just a few times we decided not to go for that reason.

But what are bad conditions? Imo bad is when regardless the amount of snow (within reason of course) that the roads are iced over due to recent freezing temps. It can snow significantly but there is a huge difference when the roads (and earth underneath) are frozen vs when they are not so frozen. One creates the most icy slippery roads while the other not quite as bad. Another scenario is how much snow is falling. Expecting 5 inches over the course of several hours is an enormous difference vs driving through snow falling at the rate of 3inches per hour. One is manageable while the other is whiteout conditions and a very fast build up.

I began to drive up in (for a previously planned trip) in one heck of a blizzard several years back and it was one those 3inch per hour snow falls. I made a bad judgment not realizing the amount of snow that was expected nor at the rate it was to be falling. I only got about 45 mins from home. Cars were stranded everywhere, you could barely see, and we ended up helping another person who was stranded. We headed back home and it was one the most terrible snow driving Ive ever been in and amazing we didn't get stuck/stranded. I had little my kids (young at the time) in the vehicle. I said what the heck was I thinking? I still feel very lucky we got home safe that day which took us a very loooooong time. It was stupid of me.

So as said...everything is always fine.....right up till the point it isn't. That's my take on it.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We got our snow!!! We'll see how long a normally 45 minute drive takes. Too bad it's a Saturday-crowds will be huge until people find out they can't ski it.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Firstly, that picture is awesome. Looks like something out of the old xmas TV programs where the Burl Ives snowman is going to stroll up and start narrating one of the Christmas tales :)...

Thank you, then enjoy another image from that day of what skiing through deep fresh snow that created a thigh deep track with my every turn.

DodgeR-au_ch8bw.jpg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Never regretted traveling anywhere for fresh snow, not once in 51 seasons. No parameters, no minimums, it drives me.

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
If there's a big storm coming, drive up the night before and crash someplace and have a relaxing day being first on the trails. Driving in the early early AM for a long distance in sketchy conditions depends on the details of the weather.... sometimes not a big deal, and sometimes just not smart.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I always try to drive up the night before if I know a big storm is coming. Usually, the drive the morning of is worth it, if you leave early enough. Sometimes with the kids though...it can be really tough. They were super sleepy last weekend and even though SO and I were up and fully dressed, we just opted to stay home and relax instead.

Sponsor