• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The remedial baselayer & midlayering tutorial!

James

Out There
Instructor
F303DEBE-BED6-414C-B441-3A87C9BFF76F.jpeg

^ nice ankle bunching

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not cheap, but base insulation + compression = :mojito:

They feel a little heavier than my other base layers; may take some thermal layering adjustments.

Every single compression base layer I own is mostly good for wicking.

Thermal insulation not so much - and the proof is when I wear shells directly on top of a compression base layer I can feel the conductive contact.

IME compression base layers also have a tendency to find every wind hole I have in the shell - I think because stretching makes the knit looser - so I always pick wind resistant mids for wearing with those.

I have CEP socks but not any of their shirts so :huh: let us know how it works for ya.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a big fan of an older CEP compression top model, which was similar to this:
I agree about not being wind proof - my solution was a wind proof vest, the tighter the fit the better, in combination with a well insulated jacket, unless I t really got cold and windy. Then I'd add that more wind proof mid layer.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
My system is for dry Utah mountains and was different when I skied wet PNW hills so ymmv.

I use a thin, 200 weight Marino crew as base top and bottom (if it’s below 25 degrees) over uninsulated CW-X compression tights that I almost always use (except really warm spring days and I’m over 50). I upgrade base layer to a 260 weight Marino crew if it’s below 20 degrees.

For the first mid-layer, I go with another Marino sweater. 1/4 zip, and I have a few in different weights again to fine tune. Unless it is a hot spring day this first two layers is always on and if it’s fairly warm (over 30) and sunny this is usually enough with an insulated shell.

If it’s colder and I’m sticking with the shell, I add in order of least insulating to most:
320 weight Marino vest
600 weight down vest
800 weight down vest (both down vests have well insulated collars that OP would like for neck warmth)
Arc’teryx Atom hoodie. With the hood up it solves the neck issue and really insulates when the shell hood is also up. When it is down it bunches up behind my neck keeping that part warm.
If it is below zero and windy cold (cold af) I can add a down shirt or jacket and a balaclava which I can only tolerate on the coldest days.

Alternatively…In the past couple seasons I’ve started liking a simple down hooded puffy jacket over the two thin Marino layers instead of a shell with vest or Atom. I only go this way if I think trees or precipitation are not anticipated but pulling the hood up and shipping up when it’s cold or pulling it down and unzipping a bit dumps heat fast and easier than unzipping multiple layers. I use my helmet vents too.

Dressing for skiing is hard and versatility is key. You have to be able to handle a lot of different scenarios with minimal fuss.

A day might look like: 30 minutes waiting for the resort to open to get an early chair on a powder day basically not moving and at single digit temps then a windy chair ride to the top. Get off and in an instant you are breathing hard and working/sweating. I need a quick change (open vents in helmet or get air on my neck with a quick unzip) without taking my hands off my polls. Part way up the chair again I might need the reverse. Later in the day I might be hiking or traversing and need pit zips and thigh zips to keep from overheating. I also might get stuck on a paused chair for ten minutes in the wind.

The right clothing kit can make or break your day as much or more than what skis you are on.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My neck area is also typically my weak link in keeping warm. My system in “reverse order”:

1. A hooded shell or jacket that closes efficiently around the helmet but has plenty of space around the neck, facilitating freedom of movement and room for insulating layers. Numerous brands have jackets that can do this. A test drive in a store is critical. I have two Rush jackets that do this works perfectly on my frame.

2. Beneath that I use a hooded mid-layer with a puffy hood, typically an Atom LT or AR or down. I’m able to arrange the hood to serve as neck insulation, I’ve never actually used the hood to cover my head. The puffiness makes things warm, comfortable and awesome. Puffiness is key.

3. Layers beneath that, typically merino base and/or fleece, zip up around the neck so that their collars cover the neck.

The result for me is freedom of movement, comfort and warmth in cold and/or snowy, wet, windy conditions. Ok…what else can I do now to procrastinate getting on the Stairmaster?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But you'll totally lose that long legged look.
I'm angry and disappointed that no one has pointed out the mismatching of the stripes on the legs. Setting aside the glaring error of horizontal stripes, the two legs are completely off-set, stripe wise. Couldn't even wear those for prancersizing.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Why does an underlayer need a phone pocket? And on the thigh?

To wear before and after you put your shells on.... in the car, at the bar, etc...

I like smart wool base layers... cold days, one crew neck + 1 quarter zip with a neck, long johns, an ancient Patagonia salopette, insulated knickers/shorts, down jacket w hood, shell pants and work shell jacket. Balaclava, and hrstra Njord gloves with thick merino liners.

I've ground out my shells above my toes to drop in Chem packs. Seems to work.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
To wear before and after you put your shells on.... in the car, at the bar, etc.
Just because one can get on an airplane in their underwear doesn’t mean they should.

The visual image in my head every time I see "compression base layer."

View attachment 178511
I saw an episode of “To Catch a Smuggler” where a woman had two hunks of meat like that in her luggage. It all looked fine, but the agent got suspicious because it smelled bad. So they cut it open, and it was hollowed out with a kilo of coke inside.

Sponsor

Staff online