• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The remedial baselayer & midlayering tutorial!

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
So, it’s still summer - yet the season is near & it’s just occurred to myself that after 44 years of skiing, I really don’t know how to layer. I say this because I’m always freezing...... So take me to schoo!

Reactions: BC.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The base layer should fit close to the body and not baggy, most would say No Cotton, some say Synthetic, others say Marino Wool. There are many brands out there and it comes down to what brand you are comfortable with. The mid layer has changed over the years, traditionally it was the wool ski sweater and more recently it has become the quarter zip fleece. I like both and it should have a little room in between the base layer to trap air in as insulation.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You're always cold? Do you know why?

The thought behind the question is that if the root cause is that you get hot, sweat a lot, and then get chilled, the corrective strategy might be a little different from the strategy used by someone who is just constitutionally cold and never manages to warm up in the first place.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
You're always cold? Do you know why?

The root cause seems to be for myself, the back of my neck & from a gear perspective, layers not allowing the collar to close...... every brand no seems to have these trendy collars & hoods that don't actually approximate or work. I have moved to 1 size larger jacket & strictly crew neck base /mid layers.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The root cause seems to be for myself, the back of my neck & from a gear perspective, layers not allowing the collar to close...... every brand no seems to have these trendy collars & hoods that don't actually approximate or work. I have moved to 1 size larger jacket & strictly crew neck base /mid layers.

This is the type of thing I was talking about when I expressed my discontent over in the hood thread.

If the collar actually closes and works, it reduces mobility. If the hood actually closes and works, it reduces mobility and visibility.

It's like there are only three design options on market - the 19th century military uniform fit, the wetsuit fit , and the tent fit.

The Napoleonic uniform fit and the wetsuit fit don't allow any sort of developed layering system underneath.

The tent fit requires neck gaiters or fleece to fill in the gap. Which is a bit like having a nice new parquet floor in your house - and spackled-in gaps where that floor meets the walls.

Last edited:
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Use a Buff? If its particularly cold, I'll use a merino buff and tuck it up in the back of my helmet so there is no exposed skin.

Yes, they are ok. Yet, I'm often out open to close and only like to come in for a speedy 2:30 bevy.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
This is the type of thing I was talking about when I expressed my discontent over in the hood thread.

If the collar actually closes and works, it reduces mobility. If the hood actually closes and works, it reduces mobility and visibility.

It's like there are only three design options on market - the 19th century military uniform fit, the wetsuit fit , and the tent fit.

The Napoleonic uniform fit and the wetsuit fit don't allow any sort of developed layering system underneath.

The tent fit requires neck gaiters or fleece to fill in the gap. Which is a bit like having a nice new parquet floor in your house - and spackled-in gaps where that floor meets the walls.

I love how the market has latched on to "technical outerwear" ; your first two options work if you're only skiing for 90 minutes. I've gravitated to being a ten-capable & self supported for all day efforts in the damp Dec-Feb season.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some people wear hoodie base or mid layers. If your neck is always a problem, that could help. As well as a helmet beanie.

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier
My bulletproof kit for super cold days riding the Flyer lift at Jay Peak.

Merino base layer with hood. Hood goes under helmet. Like this: https://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-capilene-air-hoody/191743319617.html
Mid layer with a fleece or merino. Not to bulky I like a 1/4 neck zip to vent if needed.
Insulating layer. The old Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisper. i.e. 700-800 down filled jacket
Outer Shell. I wear my hood up on cold days despite some gaps in closure and lack of mobility. All my hoods are workable to varying degrees. I won't jump into the "hood debate". The newest/most feature rich shell I've purchased is the Backcountry Cardiac jacket. I specifically purchased this jacket (this spring, at a significant discount) to try out the vented collar. Haven't had a good test day yet but remain optimistic.

Cold weather set up with a ill-fitting hood.
20190410_132233 (2).jpg

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Some people wear hoodie base or mid layers. If your neck is always a problem, that could help.

When I tried this last season, the jacket would not zip closed. :(

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yet, I'm often out open to close and only like to come in for a speedy 2:30 bevy.
Even better, you don't have to worry about adjusting very often. If a buff is too civilian for you, the Patagonia R1 hoody (the quarter zip pullover) works well. Hood is meant to go under a helmet. Frankly too hot for me for most days.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you tried a thin balaclava in place of a hooded base layer? I use a wool one and it helps a lot. I can't stand a hood because the loss of peripheral vision drives me crazy. If it's snowing, I will wear a hood but not otherwise. I also can't abide anything binding around my neck. The balaclava doesn't feel that way.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Yeah, there's your problem. You're a commercial fisherman asking a bunch of margarita-drinking folks on a pontoon boat what they like for foul weather gear.

I'm an early access 7:30 to 4:15 kind skier.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Last season I utilized the Patagonia Las Gatos zip hoodie over the helmet, but the interface w the jacket & collar was awkward. Going to try a Los Gatos (think old MtnHardwear Monkey Man) crew neck this season.

2C55479D-D050-4E5D-9FE3-50A2109D03BE.jpeg

^I'm skiing here w/ a Montana Mudflap / Beaver Tails that I designed when Covid closed the lodges. Sit on any chair or snowbank without a frozen rear.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^I'm skiing here w/ a Montana Mudflap / Beaver Tails that I designed when Covid closed the lodges. Sit on any chair or snowbank without a frozen rear.

Yep, have one of those, when it's useful it's super useful. Like in freezing rain. Not good in pow tho, tends to trap and carry.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For northern VT one word I've always defaulted to for warmth...... "Klim". This is their ski jckt. Blows away any ski gear in terms of warmth, thiness, price and definitely durability. The snowmobile gear has progressed faster and better than ski gear by far for use during extreme weather. No more crazy thick, bulky Michelin Man snowmobile gear. I use my regular ski gear when it's warm, I'm out west, or not in the woods. No branch tears and repairs w/ snowmobile gear. Even Wifey switched over and has never looked back. I can do -30 w/ a 40 below windchill morning to lunch w/ one base layer underneath my red Klim jckt (blue Obermeyer pants in the pic as it was too warm at -10 F for my Klim pants!!! LOL)
Wifey in mid pic w/ her Klim jckt and pants and she used to freeze! Not any more! :beercheer: Happy Wife.... Happy Skier!

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_155607399_2.jpg
    PXL_20210404_155607399_2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2019-06-16 (1).png
    2019-06-16 (1).png
    493.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9214.JPG
    IMG_9214.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Sponsor