• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
DINGDINGDING and the winner is

Opening postponed to December 14.

Per their FB page, not idle speculation for the drive-by “lawyers” on this thread.

Majority odds won out.

Lifts still not inspected as of this weekend. https://www.parsonsadvocate.com/sea...imberline-opening-day-scheduled-for-december/

Also hearing some idle speculation on issues with some pumps - no power for 6 months meant no operable sump pumps to keep the main pumps dry. Dunno if true.

If I navigated their website correctly, looks like you still can’t buy a season pass online.

Lack of webcams is a first world problem.

For the remaining optimists on this thread, join the dark side.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
JohnL thanks for the info, look up dysfunctional in the Dictionary, and there aparrently they'll be

And I like Timberline! I want to give them a break.

Guess I will make plattekill and Belleayre my go to's , i'll keep driving

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
JohnL thanks for the info, look up dysfunctional in the Dictionary, and there aparrently they'll be

And I like Timberline! I want to give them a break.

Guess I will make plattekill and Belleayre my go to's , i'll keep driving

Platty is a rockin little area when the trees are in play. Love that place, but you can’t get there from anywhere. It’s a haul from DC, must be worse from N.C.? That where you live? For me, Magic is not that much farther.

I wouldn’t entirely rule out the Slime if there is a major storm or better yet, a series of smaller lake effect disturbances that rack up the base in a short period of time. If the landing is deep enough, I may chance a day on the lift.

When did you first ski the Slime? There has been some reckless over-thinning in the past 4 years. With deadfall left in place.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
First skied Timberline in late March 2001. Everything was open and it was puking snow. Very memorable weekend. Never thought things could be so good so late in the season in the Mid-Atlantic.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
JohnL you are right, it was a long haul from NC but at 10 to 11 hrs way better than VT, and I just loved the place (I was there 2 days after the 36 in storm, that helped ) I was at magic last spring and loved it, much better than platte under normal conditions no doubt

My first deep (high shin!) tree skiing was at T'line, CVRand WG-- this has got to work out.. or collapse and reboot, or something

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
First time was about 2007, perhaps. Mid feb and everything everywhere was open. A rainy splendid day. Dried off with a couple of hours in Timbers and sitting around the big fireplace. All skis just dropped on the snow in front of the deck, no racks being used. Silver queen not running, ominously now. Felt like 1975, but with good skis . Every year it just atrophied a little more. Not even worth it last year at all.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I first skied at Timberline, WV in 1989 in mild spring conditions. I did a day trip from Northern VA with my five year old daughter and an adult ski buddy. At that time it was close to a four hour drive each way and not an easy four hours, lots of curvy & hilly WV country roads. My buddy helped do some of the driving, it was a long day. It was one of the first times my daughter skied and I took her down Salamander a bunch of times. She behaved well in the car. The lodge seemed new at the time. When did they build it and open the ski area, 1984?

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Here's some pics of some April pow at TL.

Attachments

• Tline 008.jpg
    Tline 008.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Tline 023.jpg
    Tline 023.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 23

D.B.Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
I first skied TL around '91, before the Silver Queen existed. TL was great when Amos was working there....slow decline since his departure. Closing weekends in 2004 and 2005 were memorable powder days. Sad to watch may favorite Mid-Atlantic ski area become a dumpster fire.

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
Since theres no web cam to see what is going on at the resort, if anyone is interested.... I drove by tline this am on my way to work and then just now on my way home. No sign of anyone working early this am, no vehicles at resort, and no snowmaking. This evening saw 1 vehicle and 2 guys standing in front of the maintenance shop, and still no snowmaking. It's been mid 20's last night and all day. I did see what looked like a bunch of water in the parking lot near the lodge. It did look like they pushed out a couple of the piles of snow right in front of the lodge and on woods hole.

Last edited:

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Regretfully, we find that the Canaan Valley Public Service District v. Timberline Utility case has become a distraction to our love of clean water, community service, winter sports, the economy of Canaan Valley and our neighbor. Timberline Four Seasons Utilities relinquishes its functioning utility into the stewardship of the Canaan Valley Public Service District. We apologize that we were unable to find a full-time Class 2 operator sufficient to lift the administrative BWN more quickly for you all. Nearly 35 were contacted, some repeatedly. This will be an orderly, seamless transition. To all of the tremendously talented water professionals who continue to assist us, at both the local and state level, we thank you. We have always cared for your water. We now turn the administration of our utility to the colleagues at the Canaan Valley Public Service District under the terms set forth by the State of West Virginia. The BWN will be lifted at which point the Canaan Valley Public Service District takes receivership.
--The Staff of Timberline Four Seasons Utilities

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think things will be very active in the next month. Plus cooking, teeth brushing and rentals will be happier. :beercheer:

Big questions:
Status of criminal investigations
Status of alleged improper money transfers from utility to affiliates, including ski area. Affects ski area capital.
Status of water pumps for snow making ponds
Status of lifts

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I am attaching a copy of the notice JohnL posted as confirmation. The utility was an important income stream for Timberline--750 customers all paying $88 or more per month. Those funds are no longer available for the family.

I don't know where things are headed now but change seems to be in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if a change of ownership (or at least management) is next. The Herz family will make much more money at this point by letting someone else run the resort and drawing income from the enterprise, either as a behind the scenes resort share holder or from resort rental properties and the hotel. If they can't open this season, there will be no money for anyone. Everyone loses.

Attachments

• Water Email 4 Dec 18.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 22

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
If I navigated their website correctly, looks like you still can’t buy a season pass online.

Would you dare at this point?

Buying one seems more like a Kickstarter "investment"

D.B.Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
Clearly no operator wants to get involved with the Timberline clown show.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
Would you dare at this point?
Buying one seems more like a Kickstarter "investment"

You realize they actually tried that a couple of years ago. But to answer the question - hell no.

DrJ

Booting up
Skier
Does CVPSD want the T4SU water supply system? I know CVPSD runs the sewer treatment plant - do they operate other water supply systems?

Sponsor

Staff online