• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
Maybe it's time to check on their uphill policy during open lift hours --- nah in that case I guess I'll stick to Whitegrass, I'd love to attend the meeting in mid dec. but will be testing my risk aversion at Berthoud Pass then. I'll certainly be following the reports though

The intermountain article is fairly ridiculous, talk about taking no responsibility. Also what did she mean when we moved here two years ago, that they were uninvolved in operations before?

Last edited:

RodneyBD

Hatfield made rain for L.A.
Skier
The owners have WAY bigger problems than "snow making" or "lift maintenance"... I'd guess they already have a criminal defense attorney on retainer.

Kemperski

Getting on the lift
Skier
"We hope .... that people will respect our absolute dedicated devotion and our resolute intentions to see that happens this year at any cost to our personal lives. Any sacrifice we have to make, we are making it to make that happen and we hope that people can respect that.”

I am personally moved to tears and that is my own life coaching plan as well.

Wasn't Absolute Dedicated Devotion a christian rock band from the 90's?

Last edited:

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
oh my, another gem..... "We don’t want to be responsible for Canaan Valley to become the vacation in hell. …"

when you are making statements like that, it ain't good.

The Colonel

Putting on skis
Skier
First: I want to crush the negative comments about DCSki. That site has been the mid-Atlantic’s go to place for regional ski info for many, many years. Rodney’s comment are exactly why Scott has had to monitor the TL threads on FCSki. Yes, TL has many problems, and certainly the owners have bigger problems, but to speculate that they have had to hire a personal Grimaldi defense attorney, with out citing source is reckless commenting!
I have enjoyed reading this thread on PugSki, but the full story, as much as is public ally known, is only avail if one reads both sites. I found out on DCSki that both TL and Snowshoe posted rebuttals about TL’s false comments in The Intermountain article. The Snowshoe rebuttal is actually quoted in DCSki.
Come on PugSki TL posters, use both sites. Your considerable Mid-A expertise is still needed on DCSki to help answer many of the questions being asked by newcomers to DCSki.
Thank you,
MorganB aka The Colonel

TS
Dr. Bighair

Dr. Bighair

Dr. Style
Skier
Dc ski...meh... Below is the latest memo filed by the PSC yesterday, 11/30/18, outlining the issues to be addressed at the 12/13/18 hearing on whether to place the utility into receivership. I'd say the defense attorney comment is appropriate....although, if the owners have any sense they would not have an attorney on retainer but actively preparing a defense.

http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/...QtW09HmXtXWC0R7WHnLkQHIhu02QbJT665XV1HhhxUNbU

Skisix

Booting up
Skier
Wow. So TFSU is almost $550k under water, in addition to unknown tax liabilities. In other words, area homeowners have been subsidizing Timberline's overall operations to the tune of around $750 per customer. Receivership seems certain. I won't speculate about possible civil or criminal penalties, but I don't think it is irresponsible to conclude that unless their "recapitalization" has already taken these costs into account, Timberline is in for a tough road ahead.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dc ski...meh... Below is the latest memo filed by the PSC yesterday, 11/30/18, outlining the issues to be addressed at the 12/13/18 hearing on whether to place the utility into receivership. I'd say the defense attorney comment is appropriate....although, if the owners have any sense they would not have an attorney on retainer but actively preparing a defense.

http://www.psc.state.wv.us/scripts/WebDocket/ViewDocument.cfm?CaseActivityID=508356&NotType='WebDocket&fbclid=IwAR2L0sGd1E0OydQtW09HmXtXWC0R7WHnLkQHIhu02QbJT665XV1HhhxUNbU

Woah! Lot's of additional details backing up the upper-level charges from the past several years. The filing paints only one side of the picture (cue Law and Order music), but this evidence seems overwhelming.

Unfortunately, I still don't know if the utility will be placed into receivership. They somehow skated by in 2016 - see those proceedings. But, the affiliated utility, ski area, realty are big players in an area that is smaller economically than most of the U.S. Almost Too Big to Fail in the local economy.

But the T4SU customers (several posters on this thread) are totally getting shafted, as are all lovers of outdoor and indoor recreation in Canaan Valley.

Skisix

Booting up
Skier
Well, I think they got away with it in 2016 because they proposed a plan to correct the situation. Now that they have demonstrated that the plan was smoke and mirrors, I don’t see how anything other than receivership can be the outcome...and as a T4SU customer myself, I think the sooner this happens the better.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
First: I want to crush the negative comments about DCSki. That site has been the mid-Atlantic’s go to place for regional ski info for many, many years. Rodney’s comment are exactly why Scott has had to monitor the TL threads on FCSki. Yes, TL has many problems, and certainly the owners have bigger problems, but to speculate that they have had to hire a personal Grimaldi defense attorney, with out citing source is reckless commenting!
I have enjoyed reading this thread on PugSki, but the full story, as much as is public ally known, is only avail if one reads both sites. I found out on DCSki that both TL and Snowshoe posted rebuttals about TL’s false comments in The Intermountain article. The Snowshoe rebuttal is actually quoted in DCSki.
Come on PugSki TL posters, use both sites. Your considerable Mid-A expertise is still needed on DCSki to help answer many of the questions being asked by newcomers to DCSki.
Thank you,
MorganB aka The Colonel

OK Morgan, numerous things to reply to.

First of all, Rodney's comment was totally appropriate. There was no speculation at all, sorry. From an article linked to on this thread by @pipestem , https://www.pugski.com/threads/timberline-wv-resorts-future.12294/page-2#post-283998, this is a quote from the article:

Tucker County Prosecuting Attorney Ray LaMora stated there are two separate investigations into some of the allegations. LaMora declined to comment on which allegations are being investigated.

Timberline Owner Fred Herz stated his attorney is aware the investigations. “They’ve identified that it has to do with the utilities and it has to do with me,” Herz said.​

Direct link to the original article for full attribution: https://www.parsonsadvocate.com/investigations-begin-bwn-continues-at-timberline/

Second of all, while I greatly respect Scott's achievements on bootstrapping DCSki, he is taking the site in a different direction that I don't care to participate in. I am one of the longest posters there, been posting since the mid 90's, along with JimK. So, from my viewpoint, the rest of you are newcomers and carpetbaggers. :D

I won't bash Scott as a person, but I will object to several things he is doing. He is actively censoring posts - I've seen IM messages of his desired "corrections" to posts. At this point, he wants an airbrushed picture of skiing local to DC, despite the fact that there are serious issues with some areas. These issues affect the time and money of local sliders, so they are a current concern for me. This year is the first year since 2009? that I haven't had a T-Line Season Pass. From an outsider's perspective, I can see how people may raise questions on the T-Line discussions. It can't really be that bad can it? There must be something positive to say? Well, IMHO, it really has been that bad the last 2-3 years. It wasn't that bad 10 years ago (this is why people care about the place along with the great local sliding community in the valley), but it did have it's quirks. Unfortunately, the bad has tremendously out-weighed the good in recent years. See the discussion threads here on Pugski on the 2016? Gathering at T-Line and consideration of the 2017 Gathering at T-Line. (Do your own searching for once on this one.)

Scott also asked us to take the discussion elsewhere, and we have. I respect his wishes. Now people are upset about that? Seriously? C'mon man.

Many people on this thread have invested 10+ years of our lives playing and investing in The Valley. We know what we are talking about. I personally know and have skied with at least 10 people on this thread for at least a decade. We are not trolling an Internet board
Back to Pugski. I've been a poster on here for numerous years, and I've known Phil and Tricia longer than we all care to admit. :beercheer: They are very good people and have built a nice site. The other community members are great people and great skiers. Get to know them and post on different threads, especially the stoke threads. For the newcomers on this thread, don't just bitch about the slime, post some stoke. Join some of the Gatherings - the Laurel Mtn one hosted by Jim/Rob, the Big Sky one, and the Vermont one in late March hosted by @KevinF I'll be going to the latter two.

For some stoke, how I spent one day over Thanksgiving: https://www.pugski.com/threads/2018-19-northeast.12072/page-4#post-288295

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Was talking to one of the higher ups in the Southern Region Ski Patrol on Saturday. According to him the plans are to open on time and the staff and patrollers are all being notified.

Oh yeah Patrol is on top of things at Timberline! Big doings on the 30th. There's a pig roast, big bonfire and i am pretty sure there will be fireworks.

Uh, I'm guessing that is sarcasm?

Well the pig roast was great. Hog, turkey, fixins and Stumpcrafted beer; two big fire rings instead of a bonfire, my patroller friends are all about safety first and I am sure there were fireworks. Guess what there wasn’t?

D.B.Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
What is the prevailing opinion? Will the top or just mid station be open for this weekend?

Low End

Booting up
Skier
The window may be looking good but we will see how it goes. The Winterset pond is already drained. Will there be another ski patrol party when they miss the next projected opening date?

Sponsor

Staff online