• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
Snowshoe will stay open into April..they made snow during this last storm...they go after..and have the business... gfs_asnow_seus_65.png

Attachments

• gfs_T850_us_64.png
    gfs_T850_us_64.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

fishnski

Staying at Snowed Inn
Skier
This is the 2 nd run from the GFS showing a nice storm right after the weekend TM might close but if they have already decided and this storm did come it probably wouldn't matter...either way I'm glad they had a good season and I had some great days skiing there in near perfect conditions this winter..long live TM and Canaan Valley!...

Attachments

• gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_31.png
    gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_31.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 2

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
From the TL website:

"We will be open for skiing and snowboarding through Thursday, March 14th. We will suspend operations for Friday, March 15th.

Operational status for the weekend has still not been determined. We are hopeful that we may be able to reopen for Saturday and Sunday, but temperatures are expected to rise this week. We are also looking at rain on Friday, which may have a significant impact on our remaining snow base."

I know that it has been a tough season but a mid-march closing is disappointing. Seems like TL is focusing on getting open early in the season when I guess there is more demand. Anyway depending on how things look in 10 days I may try to make it out to Snowshoe.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snowshoe will stay open into April..they made snow during this last storm...they go after..and have the business...
Seems like Snowshoe has had a little more favorable conditions for snow making this season and I am sure being a full blown resort and on the Ikon pass helps to bring in revenue to make it more viable to stay open.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
Snowshoe is open because they want to be open until April. They have made snow and continue to make snow to ensure they can be open until April.

TLM seems to take a different approach and makes just enough snow to get a trail open and since they don't plan on being open until April, they don't build their base up.

The lack of base was evident on the Drop or OTW everytime I skied it this season. They didn't make enough snow for bumps, nor did they make enough snow on the Drop and OTW to keep these trails open past the first week in March. Which is extremely disappointing since March is when these trails shine.

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know that it has been a tough season but a mid-march closing is disappointing. Seems like TL is focusing on getting open early in the season when I guess there is more demand.

That sounds perfectly sensible.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like TL is focusing on getting open early in the season when I guess there is more demand. Anyway depending on how things look in 10 days I may try to make it out to Snowshoe.

I dunno, seems like until right before XMas, the TM slopes are still pretty empty. Not sure if early December has more demand than mid March.

Even back in the Fred and Cracy days, March was often the busiest month. With possible exception of the very last weekend in March (which is Easter, this year).

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
More often than not PNS closes because of a lack of crowds rather than a lack of snow. I’ve heard Glen Plake lament about the hoards that crowd the WROD but are no where to be found in the spring when there is often huge amounts of snow on the ground.

SCWVA

Spent a little time on the mountain
Skier
From the TL website:

"We will be open for skiing and snowboarding through Thursday, March 14th. We will suspend operations for Friday, March 15th.

Operational status for the weekend has still not been determined. We are hopeful that we may be able to reopen for Saturday and Sunday, but temperatures are expected to rise this week. We are also looking at rain on Friday, which may have a significant impact on our remaining snow base."

Based on this, would you plan a ski trip to TLM or Snowshoe?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
Rumors are back on the other forum site. Anyone heard anything more on the Perfects taking over Canaan Valley ski operations?

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Rumors are back on the other forum site. Anyone heard anything more on the Perfects taking over Canaan Valley ski operations?
I heard it mentioned on Facebook recently but they seem to be pretty tight lipped about it even being a possibility.

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I heard it mentioned on Facebook recently but they seem to be pretty tight lipped about it even being a possibility.
I have heard nothing but chairlift chatter. I am not sure running a ski resort concession for the state fits into PNS's business model. CV also needs a new chair and more snowmaking infrastructure and equipment. And then there's the Indy Pass issue: CV is on it, Timberline ain't.

Then again, if they could craft the right deal (think tax incentive financing) it would provide expansion terrain and more parking. It would also be a good bet for regulars who want to beat the crowds on Saturdays and long weekends. It would also allow the ski school to expand, and provide race and practice space for the ski team.

Would CV become like Pico in a merger or more like Silver Creek at Snowshoe?

Last edited:

wgo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Would CV become like Pico in a merger or more like Silver Creek at Snowshoe?
Where the Pico model would mean CV stays a separate resort that shares a ticket, and the Silver Creek model means CV actually becomes part of TLM?

RickH

Snow Much Fun
Skier
So I know PNS has been to Charleston pitching the deal. Tom Price mentioned it on his pod cast last summer or in an interview I read. So, I guess PNS wants to do it. But, it would have to be a 10+ year commitment. Dollars wouldn't make sense any other way

Sponsor