• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The loss of a good friend, Stephen "Skiing-in-Jackson" McDonald

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Oh wow what a terrible tragety. I remember his Halloween hangover Butterfinger Breakfast posts along with his great stoke and gear advice. He sent me a Jackson Hole sticker out of the blue. RIP Stephen :-( Prayers for his family. His kids are the same ages as mine..

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, truly tragic He was a great guy, full of joy and kindness, I skied with him and family (like Mike said, behind) a few times, had lunch with them a few times. I had lost touch with them over the years, this is very sad.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is the Obituary.

Wasn't there an article about his daughter Liberty, from when she was a small child, skiing over 100 days at Jackson Hole?
I'll look for it.

*I'll add the Obituary to the OP.

Reactions: Ron

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wasn't there an article about his daughter Liberty, from when she was a small child, skiing over 100 days at Jackson Hole?
I'll look for it.
I didn't find the article about Liberty's 100 days of skiing when she was 7 but I found a thread about it on TGR.
Also there is this from Jackson Hole from 2016 with the 100 club breakfast. The McDonald family was the only family at the 100 club breakfast.
Picture from the article:
Stephen McDonald Family .jpg

The McDonald family – Eden, Damaris, Liberty, Stephen, Blaze, Christy
The only family at 100 day breakfast
Days at the end of the season: Eden (108), Damaris (114), Stephen (129), Liberty (121), Blaze (121), Christy (109) Seasons on the 100 club: Damaris is on her 1st time. Liberty and Blaze hold the most at 6 years. Liberty was the youngest ever in her first year at 7 years old.
Favorite memories of the season: Christmas Day enjoying bluebird deep powder, Stephen’s birthday that came with a present of a 17 inch powder day. The family also loves to spend time at the Casper Lodge.
Why 100? Like so many say, why not? They love to ski together and as a family. The 100 club is a way for them to reach out and have fun skiing together. It is their version of enjoying a sporting event together.
The family that skis together...

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Condolences to his family & friends. What a tragic loss to skiing. He was one of the nicest and most helpful people I've ever met.

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I, too met Stephen, while on a trip with Living Proof. I recall his devotion to all of outdoor sport. Condolences to his family. Be careful when biking - ride where it is safe.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a memorable moment from my first real meat up with Stephen.

We were skiing at Jackson Hole in 2013 or 2015(?) and briefly bumped into Stephen and his family in the Casper Lodge while we were eating lunch. Phil commented on how much his kids had grown since the last time he had seen them, and Stephen said, "You gotta see this." He asked his son Blaze to stand up and asked him to lift his shirt to expose his back. "Look, he grew so fast this past summer, he has stretch marks on his back."
His son was a little embarassed, but you could tell he was accustomed to Stephen's request. I'll admit, the stretch marks were impressive. They were definitely growing some healthy kids.
We spent the rest of lunch visiting with them and enjoying the joy of their family.
The kids would be 24, 21, 18, and 16 now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Best goggle tan ever in that photo. The man really knew how to make the most out of life. Still in shock over this even though I hardly knew him personally.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I met Stephan several times, and had the pleasure of skiing with him, Blaze, and Liberty. I remember him showing up at a Gathering with these incredibly bent looking skis (a local Jackson product - that's him under the Bridger sign). His bootfitting services were in such demand I never managed to score an appointment with him. He was mortally offended when a ski magazine article thought black toenails were a sign of radness. RIP, kind sir. 1000x1000px-LL-39939d75_CopyofDSCN6405.jpg

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
A Stephen story about a moment that humbled me. On my next trip to Jackson following our meeting and his boot liner/footbed work, we were riding a chair when he told me "you changed my life". Say What?? No Way! thought I.
He told me that following our first meeting, I said some good things on Epic about him and his bootfitting, and, that got him more business and his reputation grew. He did a lot of posting on Epic, his insights were great. He was working in a small shop in Jackson, and, knew he needed income to support his family, so, he decided to become a Certified Pedologist to gain foot knowledge and a degree. That cert got him a better job at Jackson Hole Sports, eventually, he opened his own bootfitting business.
It still boggles my mind that I had any impact or could have said/done something to inspire, but, damn, I'll always remember that conversation on chair ride.

Yes his daughter was the youngest to gain 100 day status at Jackson, she also got some modeling work and clothes from a ski clothing manufacturer showing her skiing powder.

It's still hard to comprehend. can't get him out of my mind. His Obit above captures him and his impact on those who knew him. My deepest thoughts go out to Christy and their children.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
After reading the article/obituary it makes me even more sad for his family and regretful I never had a chance to know him.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Terrible loss. My deepest condolences to his beautiful family. I knew of him and his large family from posts on EpicSki, but I was trying to confirm that I met Stephen in person so I went snooping around the old EpicSki archives and the photo @SpikeDog posted above is one that I forgot I took at the 2015 Jackson Gathering.
1596640643422.png

Here's another from the same day. This photo was taken by jgiddyup if I'm not mistaken. Stephen's at the left, while Uncle Louie to the right in black and blue addresses the crowd. Stephen was a great/fast skier and one of several fine locals that came out to greet and support our group that year.
1000x1000px-LL-48f0d7eb_IMG_5040.jpeg

Mr. McDonald is gone far too soon, but not before leaving a tremendous impression on his family, friends, and community! Passing away while undertaking a cross-country bike ride, that's what I call going out with your cleats on!

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I took a look at the intersection on google streetview - a big wide shoulder separated by a continuous rumble strip, wide open sightlines and a simple T intersection. Hard to see how this happened other than the driver just running him down from behind. I spend a lot of my time on my bike in way more dangerous situations - it freaks me out when I see things like this happen. My condolences to his family and friends.

edit: hadn't read the obit - I guess that's exactly what happened. Very sad.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Fuller You bring up good points. This is one of a handful of reasons that I only had a road bike for about a year.

From the Obit:
McDonald died Friday on a cross-country bike trip. He was cycling on a road outside Knoxville, Iowa, when a driver swerved into the shoulder, striking him.
No charges have been filed in the crash, which is still under investigation, but the Iowa State Patrol accident report says the female driver fell asleep and drifted onto the shoulder. McDonald died on scene, according to the report. He was 52. No services are planned yet.

Not intended to create a blame, and in fact, I can't imagine the grief the driver is feeling.

This is the google image of the intersection noted in the articles. Not necessarily the actual location of the accident
Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 2.46.43 PM.png

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I met Stephan several times, and had the pleasure of skiing with him, Blaze, and Liberty. I remember him showing up at a Gathering with these incredibly bent looking skis (a local Jackson product - that's him under the Bridger sign). His bootfitting services were in such demand I never managed to score an appointment with him. He was mortally offended when a ski magazine article thought black toenails were a sign of radness. RIP, kind sir.
View attachment 107447
Anyone know which of his kids is in the helmet next to him?
1000x1000px-ll-39939d75_copyofdscn6405-jpg.107447

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I hope the driver is feeling glad to be alive and willing to face a manslaughter charge as well as regretful. Though justice can never be compensation for a life of a loved one, it often seems that justice is too lenient when it comes to cycling deaths.

A friend's partner was killed in this incident. It shattered all her plans for the future which included setting up a training camp in the alps for both winter and summer activities. A former housemate of my brother with three young kids was killed last summer, never heard of any charges in that case.

Sponsor

Staff online