• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The loss of a good friend, Stephen "Skiing-in-Jackson" McDonald

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We all knew Stephen from Epic as "SkiinginJackson". While Stephen never made it over here, he and I were on contact many times over the years. Stephen was a gentle man any way you want to say it. His family was awesome and he was someone who was truely living the dream as a bootfitter, raising his kids and an awesome wife and partner. He will be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This news brings tears to my eyes. :(

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very sad. Condolences.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate to see this. RIP.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm sorry Phil.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
So very sad. I never met him but always appreciated his insight on Epic. As the father of a son who is currently riding his bike cross country this is not what I needed to see. My thoughts to Stephens family. RIP.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How truly sad and tragic way to die.

For me, being in Iowa makes this more sad. I've drove that same spot once and recall it as runs through some lovely park land - very rural area but on a main route. Bike groups work so hard to increase awareness but it's so hard to prevent some things so simple to avoid.

My respects to his family and those of you who knew Stephen, Rest In Peace.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sorry to hear that. Condolences.

I met him on the bus from Jackson Hole into town. I was sitting behind him and some story he was telling matched up with something he wrote on EpicSki. I said "excuse me, are you..." and introduced myself. He gave me a beer from his pack.

He will be missed.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IIRC Stephen hosted an Epic party at his place. It was a modest condo in town, maybe 800-1000 Sq ft including a loft. It was better equipped with gear than many sporting goods shops. I think his son & daughter, in their teens at the time shared the loft. Again, the place was small but I haven't seen too many families happier. @Living Proof helped them set up the party, I know Mike became particularly close to the family.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Boy, this makes me sad. Skied with him and various family members several times, and he hooked me up with my Zipfits. As I remember, he was a recent convert to Zipfit at the time. The whole family is the embodiment of the (kinda silly) phrase You Do You.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Life is so fragile and so unfair. Remember his posts and his kids. Condolences to all of them and all of you who knew him personally. May there be peace for them all.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Very sad. RIP.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Wow, it's very hard to accept that Stephen has passed, he was a life-force.. The man was among the few who just enjoyed life and lived it every day with a great big smile on his face. @Philpug and I were in a Jackson for a week, stayed in the basement room in the 49er Inn. Stephen joined us one night, and, talked non-stop, he had the group in the palm of his had. He knew everybody in Jackson. Phil is correct, he hosted a Epic group at his home in the town. Tiny little condo, hard to believe 6 people lived there. His bikes were suspended from the ceiling.

We met when @Ron and I were eating lunch on the mountain, and a family next to us was celebrating the Dad's birthday. Ron recognized him as Skiing-in-Jackson, a local boot fitter, who posted on Epic. I skied that afternoon with his family, I should say skied well behind them. I need some bootfitting, and, he set me up on new Intuitiion Liners. When ever I returned to Jackson, we would see him with family in the boot-up locker room in Jackson. Stephen would always make time to ski with us in early morning, it was a treat to ride the Tram and listen to his stories. He took me on my first official "poach" of a powder run, it ended in a 10 ft. drop that he coached me through. When I had my shoulder separation fall, He came to the clinic to make sure I was ok, and, took me to his boot fitting area to spend the afternoon on a couch.

He never met a stranger! It hurts to look at that smiling face in his Obit. Damn it, damn it, damn it. He was so proud of his cycling times between the village and the town, he rode it each day in summer, where he guided mountain bikers. I've skied Jackson more than any other area, a must-do was to visit him in the bootfitting shop. I was always greeted as a long lost friend. Now he is lost to us all.

Rest In Peace, a good man passed much too soon.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Sad news... Condolences to his family and the Jackson community. He was one of the good guys for sure.

Sponsor

Staff online