• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Influence of Ski Waist-Width and Fatigue on Knee-Joint Stability and Skier Balance

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a great study...

Abstract​

Alpine skiing is a complex sport that demands a high level of motor control and balance. In general, skiers are prone to deterioration in the state of fatigue due to using inappropriate equipment. As a consequence, the risk of injury might increase. This study aimed to examine the influence of fatigue and ski waist-width on knee-joint stability and skier’s balance. A laboratory skiing simulation in a quasistatic ski-turning position was conducted where the lower-limb kinematics was recorded using an optical system, and the balance-determining parameters were captured using a force plate. It was demonstrated that the knee-joint kinematics and skier’s balance were hampered in the state of fatigue, as well as when using skis with a large waist-width. The results of the study suggest avoiding the fatigue state and the use of skis having a large waist-width while skiing on hard surfaces to decrease the risk of injury.

Full report here...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If I understand the study it is a 60 MM & 100 MM width that was used. It would be interesting to see the difference between 70, 80, 90 MM and a fatigue factor for each of the widths. It might be a consideration when making a ski purchase.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
If I understand the study it is a 60 MM & 100 MM width that was used. It would be interesting to see the difference between 70, 80, 90 MM and a fatigue factor for each of the widths. It might be a consideration when making a ski purchase.

Look up Dr John Seifert's work. He dives into it. There is also a study or three out of Europe on the subject.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Meh, to me it's pretty simple. How wide are your feet? That's the design width (designed by Mother Nature) for hard snow. You should have a reason to deviate from that. For soft snow, the ski should be able to sink in half-way accross the width when on edge. That's my pseudo-scientific physics design.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Meh, to me it's pretty simple. How wide are your feet? That's the design width (designed by Mother Nature) for hard snow. You should have a reason to deviate from that. For soft snow, the ski should be able to sink in half-way accross the width when on edge. That's my pseudo-scientific physics design.

If that was true most of us would be on 95-100+ ski. Which is wide. I'd say the width of the boot soles. The closer the ski width to this-the less fatiguing.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
If that was true most of us would be on 95-100+ ski. Which is wide. I'd say the width of the boot soles. The closer the ski width to this-the less fatiguing.
I was thinking average between ball and heel, but you're right. Just use pseudo-science physics for all cases: need a reason to deviate from sinking in half way across the width - makes the ideal width for ice = skate blade width. :)

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Interesting. I just measured my feet, weighted, at 100mm wide. I'm an average sized guy (26.5 boot, 165-170 pounds) so you're saying my hard snow skis should be 100mm wide?

I'm a newb on 79 waist Völkls but I guess those must be way too wide for East coast resort skiing - right?

EDIT - Oh, just saw your new formula. It's hard to measure my heel, but it's about 60mm wide. So 80mm hard snow ski? Or do you mean the contact patch? That's very hard to measure but I'd guess it's 40mm, so 70mm hard snow ski? Maybe that's right

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
America needs to re-evaluate gear standards then... ?

Shhh....keep it quiet. Let them play with whatever they like, we need more Americans on 100+ on our hard icy groomers, this is SO MUCH FUN :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EDIT - Oh, just saw your new formula. It's hard to measure my heel, but it's about 60mm wide. So 80mm hard snow ski? Or do you mean the contact patch? That's very hard to measure but I'd guess it's 40mm, so 70mm hard snow ski? Maybe that's right

Let's shake on 65-71, shall we... ;)

Sponsor

Staff online