• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Her inside ski knocked out her outside ski. I guess the moment the inside ski hit the outside, left, the outside hit a little bump and was very light. Then the left foot went out, splitsville and shot into the net.

Several that I saw had problems with bumps down at the bottom.

Ar one point past the hardest turns she was .5 sec ahead of the leader. What do we make of how she lost so much time on the bottom?

Well she finished today. Nothing great, but she needs confidence. Yeah I bet she didn't want an mri. I would think after LL she'll get one.

That's how I saw it as well. Inside ski knocked the outside ski lose.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
What do we make of how she lost so much time on the bottom?

My strong hunch is that her skis ran slow, given how much snow was falling when she ran. Totally different than what they had planned for in terms of prep.

Could be that LV has a favorite pair of skis, for LL. She had run them for the training runs, and just feels invincible on them. So they are waxed and ready to go, anticipating overcast and no fresh snow.

Starts snowing, comes in fast and heavy. They have another pair prepped to better handle the snow...but not her favorite. What's the better choice?

Seemed to me that a few techs were blindsided by the snow coming in a half hour early.

Just a guess. Can't think of another reason, as I'd expect her to motor, as usual through the bottom.

I think she showed a lot of grit to race today, and did fine under the circumstances. That crash had to hurt. Imagine she is quite bruised, at the least.

Gutsy.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
You don't get to where she is in racing history without decision making that walks that fine line of gutsy/stupid....

There also aren't make that take a crash and get airlifted off the hill and then turn around and race a few days later and win.....

James

Out There
Instructor
You don't get to where she is in racing history without decision making that walks that fine line of gutsy/stupid....

There was a book written about the US downhill team in the 90's called "Right on the Edge of Crazy". The title is still the best summation of downhill. Or maybe being near to winning in downhill.

Well today Lindsey leaned in too far and lost the outside ski. DNF.
Seeing as she beat everyone through 3/4 of the downhill yesterday I wouldn't call her a mess. She does need to get back on track. Hopefully she's not injured from the crash into the fences. I have doubts.

The bottom of the course continued to give problems. The World Champion snowboarder Esther Lucek crashed into the fences right near where Lindsey went in. Someone else hooked a tip on the outside gate in that area. AJ Kitt remarked "that's something you don't see everyday"

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier

There also aren't make that take a crash and get airlifted off the hill and then turn around and race a few days later and win.....

Reminds me of Anja in Torino. Tough girls.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
More of a thanks for posting ^^^^^. Not "liking" the news.

Think there is a bit of a spin on this. Shocker for NBC sports.

Best thing {perhaps the ONLY thing} she can do is not race tomorrow, NOT race next week, get whatever her issues are worked on, and return for ehe two back to back speed series in Mid January/

Fear that if she does not take the time, this may not go well. Just a hunch, having done a lot of "watching" over the years.

She is very driven, very stubborn. "Somebody" needs to step in and force her to sit it out, IMO.

If she keeps skiing hurt, we'll probably still see her start in Korea, with zero chance of a podium. You need to be able to pressure and work BOTH skis.

Discussing hip issues is probably getting old, but she took a HARD fall at LL.

Wishing her the best....becoming a tough season for US fans to watch. We need to keep the expectations in check. My expectations and the USSSA, NBC hype train are not so much aligned.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
Yeah, I think overall the girls are more interesting, at least lately.

It's showing up in the kids' racing and development programs too. Numbers seem to be way in favor of the girls. I'll ask for rough stats from someone I know who is one of the lead coaches for our mountain, which has a pretty big program.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, I think overall the girls are more interesting, at least lately.

It's showing up in the kids' racing and development programs too. Numbers seem to be way in favor of the girls. I'll ask for rough stats from someone I know who is one of the lead coaches for our mountain, which has a pretty big program.
More girls racing now then before, but still seeing more boys than girls in the older ages (U16+). Lots of possible reasons for this.

Nice to see way more at the younger developmental ages however. Whether they end up continuing to pursue WC is irrelevant just more girls being exposed to the sport and developing a love of skiing is a great thing.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
Hope the trend for increasing female participation continues into later years. Given that our race league rules require at least one 'girl' score per night, everyone tries hard to have at least 2 ladies on a team. If you are not already starting a team with at least two, it can be a challenge to find two adult ladies who have the race bug.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There was a book written about the US downhill team in the 90's called "Right on the Edge of Crazy". The title is still the best summation of downhill. Or maybe being near to winning in downhill.

Instructor today told us he'd had a chance to ski the Hahnenkamm and how crazy it was. He also commented that back in the day, racers would finish in 12:something minutes; now it's 2:something.

If this is remotely true, it made me think of how much more dangerous downhill skiing has become. Depending on the specifics of the numbers, that's 5-6x as fast as it used to be.

(He also showed us a photo of Mikaela Shiffrin from a few years ago with lines drawn across shoulders, hips, and knees. All identical lines. Oh, so that's what they mean by stacked skiing. I'm going to go ahead and assert that none of us quite pulled it off, despite the visual aide.)

James

Out There
Instructor
Instructor today told us he'd had a chance to ski the Hahnenkamm and how crazy it was. He also commented that back in the day, racers would finish in 12:something minutes; now it's 2:something.

If this is remotely true, it made me think of how much more dangerous downhill skiing has become. Depending on the specifics of the numbers, that's 5-6x as fast as it used to be.
Yeah, not true. First race on the Streif, the course used since 1937, was 3:53.10.
Many years they can't run the full course and some it's cancelled completely.
Note:
Kitzbuhel- the town
Hahnenkamm- the mountain
Streif - the course

Some records
Fritz Strobel, AUT, 1997, 1:51.58 - This time still stands as fastest on the full course.
Jean Claude Killy, FRA, 1967, 2:11.92
Buddy Werner, USA, 1959, 2:33.40
Thaus Schwabel, AUT, 1937, 3:53.10

https://hahnenkamm.com/en/things-to-know/hkr-course-records/

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, not true. First race on the Streif, the course used since 1937, was 3:53.10.
Many years they can't run the full course and some it's cancelled completely.
Note:
Kitzbuhel- the town
Hahnenkamm- the mountain
Streif - the course

Some records
Fritz Strobel, AUT, 1997, 1:51.58 - This time still stands as fastest on the full course.
Jean Claude Killy, FRA, 1967, 2:11.92
Buddy Werner, USA, 1959, 2:33.40
Thaus Schwabel, AUT, 1937, 3:53.10

https://hahnenkamm.com/en/things-to-know/hkr-course-records/

Well, that ruins a good story!

Thanks for the info.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
There once was an instructor from Jackson Hole
Who had some patterns he wished to extole
He would teach you to ski
As if you were taking a pee
No wonder the women had better control

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well, Half the crowd is gender biased, and the other half fully appreciates the feminine from.

It's no wonder the gals are popular! ;-)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, Half the crowd is gender biased, and the other half fully appreciates the feminine from.

It's no wonder the gals are popular! ;-)
Who would you rather watch:
Lindsey Vonn
or
Ted Ligety?

Mikaela Shiffrin
or
Travis Ganong?

Yeah, I thought so ;)

OldSchool47

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
I find male ski racers more interesting to watch than female ski racers. Males are bigger, faster, better. Watching female ski racing bores me like watching female tennis bores me. Golf.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I find male ski racers more interesting to watch than female ski racers. Males are bigger, faster, better. Watching female ski racing bores me like watching female tennis bores me. Golf.

The US women' Soccer team played Japan recently.

I didn't try to watch the entire game, There were other games to watch. but the US gals were ahead! ;-)

Sponsor