• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Atomic Professional Series

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I upgraded the strap on my Redster Club Sport to the dual strap. I used the holes already in the boot and made new holes in the strap to line up the elastic part with the front of the boot. Seems you did a similar thing, which is good.

I would say my strap doesn't line up vertically so that one elastic is on the shell and the other on the liner. Both seem to be on the shell. I would have to trim some plastic on the front top of the boot to have the top elastic just on the liner. It looks like you would have to do that too. Maybe after some skiing it shifts to align, but I don't really know.

To be honest, I don't really understand how the various elastics are supposed to line up and work, other than its "elastic" and when I crank it down it makes the flex of the boot feel better. I just looked at my strap, and on the top row there are two elastic bands, one shorter than the other, and then an adjustable non-elastic band. On the bottom row, there are two equal length elastic bands that are longer than the short band on the top. I don't think they all line up perfectly, but I crank it down, flex the boot, adjust till it feels good and then ski. Never analyzed it past that.

I did play around with the length of the non-elastic adjustable top strap and that changed the amount of flex before the boot really stiffened up. That made sense to me and seemed to be doing its job. I set it where I thought it should be, and again just skied.

I used a Booster strap on my previous boots and put it inside of the plastic cuff. It had 3 elastic bands of equal length. I did like the feel of that and being inside of the cuff it added some cushion to the tongue of the liner. I am interested to read @ONK's response to learn how to maximize the dual straps effect.

bricecrispy

Putting on skis
Skier
@onenerdykid TLDR: How does one expand the toebox of the liner? Last winter, my new Redster CS130 Pros were causing my toes to go numb every day of skiing. You offered the following advice below. My bootfitter did punch out the toe box and my comfort and circulation was much better, but now I realize I still want a bit more length. I don't know if that's just my opinion changing over time or if the punch has walked back a little since I have now heated the boots in my Kulkea boot bag a handful of times (on "low" setting for 1.5 hr). Anyway, I'll have my bootfitter readdress the issue in the toebox. If they need to expand the liner in addition to the shell, how is that typically done?

"Grinding a bit first can often help, but I usually just stretch for length because I need 5mm or a bit more. I recommend punching the toe box a little more than what looks like enough and leaving it on the press/stretching device for a minimum of 3-4 hours, ideally over night. There is a lot of plastic in that area and they tend to walk back a mm or 2 when the stretching pressure is taken off.

My preferred order of operations:
1. grind the toe box a bit and/or punch out the toe box with a hydraulic expander (FYI- for boot fitters out there- Atomic makes some really sweet metal toe forms that give a really nice shape to any toe box)
2. perform any liner lengthening mods (usually not needed once step 1 is done, but perhaps you might need it)"

Thanks, as always.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
After you grind/stretch the toe box a bit more/again, remove your insoles from the liners, have your boot fitter apply some light heat to the liner toe box area (top, front, sides, bottom), wear a toe cap on your foot, put your sock on, put your insoles back in the liners, put the liners in the shells, and wear the boots for a bit. This will help push the liner toe into the extra space that was made in the shell.

Chessie

Booting up
Skier
Seeking advice for a 16-year old female, 27.5 mondo, measured width 93 mm, 166 cm tall (5'6), 60 kg (132 lbs). Athletic but skiing skills are "advanced" only. Has ambitions to eventually become a ski instructor but not currently interested in racing.

She currently skis in Hawx Ultra 115 S W. Stepping up from rental boots, she is satisfied with the fit, and otherwise happy as a clam with her first pair of boots. However, based on my impression of her skiing, I think they may be too stiff for her.

I was wondering if she would be better served with a pair of Redster boots because they are available in 70 - 90 flex and come with a slimmer last to fit her narrow 93 mm wide forefoot (the STI being 93 mm @ 26.5, the CS being 96 mm @ 26.5). In 70 - 90 flex, both the STI and the CS come with a low cuff as appropriate for her gender and age.

With such a slim foot, how difficult are the STI and CS to take on and off? I read that the STI is liner-on-foot then liner-in-boot, but does that also apply to a 93 mm foot in a 27.5 with a softer flex? Do they need modification by a professional boot fitter? Is there a significant step down in liner quality with the 70-90 STI/CS liners compared to the Hawx liner? Any other considerations?

Last edited:

Chessie

Booting up
Skier
@onenerdykid

I heard you talking about the PU ether material used in your Redster boots on the Gear 30 podcast. Can you divulge if that material is used in all Redster boots (bottom/cuff), including the 70 - 90 - 110 flex models?

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid

I heard you talking about the PU ether material used in your Redster boots on the Gear 30 podcast. Can you divulge if that material is used in all Redster boots (bottom/cuff), including the 70 - 90 - 110 flex models?
110 & stiffer are full PU-ether, softer are full PU-ester

Hati

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@onenerdykid

I am looking for new boots and would like to fit Redster CS or STI boots.

Looking for some advice, stores in Finland don't seem to have right size boots to be fitted. I have a very good experienced local bootfitter to work with but first I have to buy boots online to be delivered, make shell fitting at home and then decide to return or continue work with local bootfitter.

With my foot measurements in attached photo is CS 110/130 boot size 24,5 worth doing more room in lenght or should I look optionally more narrow last STI 110/130 in size 25,5?

I'm 173cm 77kg. I'm currently skiing on my over 100 days skied slobbish Salomon SMAX 130 in 25,5 size (96 last size?) which I would describe as stiff enough for my skier profile. Can you perhaps estimate how CS/STI stiffness compares to Salomon SMAX 130? Would 110 flex models be closer to SMAX 130?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
Harri

Attachments

• 20240105_194543.jpg
    20240105_194543.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 41
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid

I am looking for new boots and would like to fit Redster CS or STI boots.

Looking for some advice, stores in Finland don't seem to have right size boots to be fitted. I have a very good experienced local bootfitter to work with but first I have to buy boots online to be delivered, make shell fitting at home and then decide to return or continue work with local bootfitter.

With my foot measurements in attached photo is CS 110/130 boot size 24,5 worth doing more room in lenght or should I look optionally more narrow last STI 110/130 in size 25,5?

I'm 173cm 77kg. I'm currently skiing on my over 100 days skied slobbish Salomon SMAX 130 in 25,5 size (96 last size?) which I would describe as stiff enough for my skier profile. Can you perhaps estimate how CS/STI stiffness compares to Salomon SMAX 130? Would 110 flex models be closer to SMAX 130?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
Harri
Hi Harri, This can only be realistically accomplished by seeing an actual foot in an actual boot. You also need to take into account your tolerance for foot compression, which I cannot do.

The Redster CS is a lower volume boot than the S/Max (the S/Max was only called a "96mm" boot because of its liner, not the actual width of the shell, which is not narrow at all) and the Redster STI is an even narrower and lower volume boot than the CS, arguably the lowest volume boot in the world. Both boots are intended to be fit out of the box, not fit out of the box.

My guess would be a CS 130 in a size 24, but it's a guess. If the 130 is too stiff, it can be softened. If the 110 is too soft, then there's not much you can do.

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
I have the larger tongue and it helped but not enough. I did try on a Redster and it felt better over the instep, but of course would need some work in the toe box. Also tried on the Lange RS ZA which is their softer flexing boot and it seemed similar in fit to the Redster CS even though the Lange is a 92 mm last
So rather than moving on from the Hawk Professional and going to a new boot, I purchased a new Professional liner from Roger’s in Lincoln and had them do foaming. My foot is legit a 26.6 and I’m a 97mm width in one foot and 98 in the other. On my first fitting they did heat the shells and add some padding around the ankles and a toe cap. In retrospect I probably only needed some spot heating in the toe box. Also they put in the foam amount spec’ed for a 26.5 boot. It was not enough. I have average arches and no unusual shape to my foot, but over the instep/over the to part of my forefoot it’s low volume. With the first foaming not enough foam made it into the bladder parts over the instep/ top of forefoot. The boot was sloppy and skied like it had a very packed out liner.
Well the second try worked out much, much better. At Roger’s I went over all of the areas I had issues with and we agreed to add basically as much foam as I could take in the fitting process. They added a lot more foam from each plunger. At least as much is recommended for a 28.5 boot. The fit is so much better while not feeling comfy. A very nice very firm handshake around my boot. I also took out my carv insert for fitting (added it back after) and used the regular tongue for fitting and still using it now. Love the fit and I don’t to have to crank down my buckles. First time I can remember skiing without navicular pain. Really liking these boots now.
I thing the liners do need a footer who understands your foot volume and don’t be afraid to add a lot of foam.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So rather than moving on from the Hawk Professional and going to a new boot, I purchased a new Professional liner from Roger’s in Lincoln and had them do foaming. My foot is legit a 26.6 and I’m a 97mm width in one foot and 98 in the other. On my first fitting they did heat the shells and add some padding around the ankles and a toe cap. In retrospect I probably only needed some spot heating in the toe box. Also they put in the foam amount spec’ed for a 26.5 boot. It was not enough. I have average arches and no unusual shape to my foot, but over the instep/over the to part of my forefoot it’s low volume. With the first foaming not enough foam made it into the bladder parts over the instep/ top of forefoot. The boot was sloppy and skied like it had a very packed out liner.
Well the second try worked out much, much better. At Roger’s I went over all of the areas I had issues with and we agreed to add basically as much foam as I could take in the fitting process. They added a lot more foam from each plunger. At least as much is recommended for a 28.5 boot. The fit is so much better while not feeling comfy. A very nice very firm handshake around my boot. I also took out my carv insert for fitting (added it back after) and used the regular tongue for fitting and still using it now. Love the fit and I don’t to have to crank down my buckles. First time I can remember skiing without navicular pain. Really liking these boots now.
I thing the liners do need a footer who understands your foot volume and don’t be afraid to add a lot of foam.
I wish that I had asked them to add more foam when I had my liners done. Initially (at the shop and skiing) they felt fine. But soon I had the feeling of space over my medial and lateral instep. Not really sloppy, just not as precise as I'd like. I was able to fix this by ordering the thicker tongue and placing a thin layer of high density foam over the instep areas on the outside of the liner, but it would have been nice if the foaming had solved this from the start. By the way, I am not faulting the shop or the fitter at all - this is the risk with any foamed liner and I fully accept this.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

@Jb.schulte, I see a professional liner for my Atomic Redster CS in my future. Curious about a couple statements you made.

1. For the second try, did they get you a new liner?? or try to add more foam to the existing liner.
2. Did Rogers do the foaming both times, or did another shop do the first foaming.

3. The fit is so much better while not feeling comfy. I assume you mean not feeling sloppy. Was it uncomfortable?

Jb.schulte

Booting up
Skier
@Jb.schulte, I see a professional liner for my Atomic Redster CS in my future. Curious about a couple statements you made.

1. For the second try, did they get you a new liner?? or try to add more foam to the existing liner.
2. Did Rogers do the foaming both times, or did another shop do the first foaming.

3. The fit is so much better while not feeling comfy. I assume you mean not feeling sloppy. Was it uncomfortable?
1. I purchased the new Atomic from Roger’s and they did the fitting this time.
2. Another shop did it the first time.
3. Yes, exactly.

Hati

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi Harri, This can only be realistically accomplished by seeing an actual foot in an actual boot. You also need to take into account your tolerance for foot compression, which I cannot do.

The Redster CS is a lower volume boot than the S/Max (the S/Max was only called a "96mm" boot because of its liner, not the actual width of the shell, which is not narrow at all) and the Redster STI is an even narrower and lower volume boot than the CS, arguably the lowest volume boot in the world. Both boots are intended to be fit out of the box, not fit out of the box.

My guess would be a CS 130 in a size 24, but it's a guess. If the 130 is too stiff, it can be softened. If the 110 is too soft, then there's not much you can do.
@onenerdykid

Hi,

CS 130 in a size 24,5 delivered today from Atomic warehouse in Europe and first test fit and measument done for the boot without liner and with liner. Punch for more toe room (5-10mm) naturally would be needed but I'm suprised that heel and ankle are not locked in. In a bit smaller size right foot I have a clear feeling of extra volume on glog's cuff instep and ankle area. I can already buckle down both cuffs but of course that doesn't help to reduce volume on ankle and instep area to have a snug feeling.

My questions, would it be worth of try Redster STI 130 instead as you said it is more low volume boot? Can you estimate how much less volume there is on STI clog's cuff instep and ankle area? To make best bet for next STI fit, is there less volume in STI clog's cuff in size 25,5 than CS 24,5? CS 24,5 last size 92mm? felt snug so STI 25,5 last size 91mm? might be quite close to perfect and a bit more lenght would mean less work for extra toe room?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Harri

Attachments

• 20240105_194543.jpg
    20240105_194543.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240119_203058.jpg
    20240119_203058.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 26
TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid

Hi,

CS 130 in a size 24,5 delivered today from Atomic warehouse in Europe and first test fit and measument done for the boot without liner and with liner. Punch for more toe room (5-10mm) naturally would be needed but I'm suprised that heel and ankle are not locked in. In a bit smaller size right foot I have a clear feeling of extra volume on glog's cuff instep and ankle area. I can already buckle down both cuffs but of course that doesn't help to reduce volume on ankle and instep area to have a snug feeling.

My questions, would it be worth of try Redster STI 130 instead as you said it is more low volume boot? Can you estimate how much less volume there is on STI clog's cuff instep and ankle area? To make best bet for next STI fit, is there less volume in STI clog's cuff in size 25,5 than CS 24,5? CS 24,5 last size 92mm? felt snug so STI 25,5 last size 91mm? might be quite close to perfect and a bit more lenght would mean less work for extra toe room?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Harri
The heel (and entire rear foot) of the CS is the exact same as the no-longer-made Redster World Cup.

The heel of the TI is about 1mm narrower at the base of the heel, narrower through the ankle, navicular, etc.

The shell of the STI is about 10mm lower volume than the TI (I don't know off the top of my head, but I do know that the cuff pivot locations on the STI are 10mm lower than the TI and the same cuff is used between the two- this means we drop the volume of the boot by 10mm).

The TI will be snugger than the CS, but if you want a noticeably lower volume boot, go with the STI.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
My questions, would it be worth of try Redster STI 130 instead as you said it is more low volume boot?

The TI will be snugger than the CS, but if you want a noticeably lower volume boot, go with the STI.

I was kinda in your situation. I tried the clubsport 130 pro last year, foam injected and everything but the fitter couldn't get the heel hold I wanted. I went to the 130 ti and swapped the tongue on my problem foot(skinnier) to the middle thickness and Ive been quite happy! Both boots were 26.5. These are my everyday ski boots that I bang all around the hill in.

TS
onenerdykid

onenerdykid

Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
@onenerdykid - will the Hawx Mimic Professional (size 26.5) be restocked on atomic.com this year?

Everything is sold out for this year from our web shop. The only way to find them is through retailers.

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Team- I am presently happy with my shiny newish Magnas with the foam liner- but historically I've been a booster guy and I am really wanting to try the dual straps.

I am not sure I've checked EVERY Atomic dealer in Reno/Tahoe but probably most.

Does anyone know where I could find a set of the dual straps in the larger size? Hawx or Redster doesn't matter.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Team- I am presently happy with my shiny newish Magnas with the foam liner- but historically I've been a booster guy and I am really wanting to try the dual straps.

I am not sure I've checked EVERY Atomic dealer in Reno/Tahoe but probably most.

Does anyone know where I could find a set of the dual straps in the larger size? Hawx or Redster doesn't matter.
can't say for sure but have you tried StartHaus in truckee

Sponsor

Staff online