• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's quite a lift. Is it even necessary though, doesn't the new 6 pack Grand Canyon Expess serve as main lift now?

It sounds like they want to go with the Chondola for scenic lift rides all year round. I think they are going to need to open up that area on top though, there's not much room up there. I would think that widening the upper Catwalk would be a good idea as well.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
Humphrey's along with most other high traffic areas of Coconino national forest land officially closed this morning. Perhaps a good thing that the chondola is scheduled for next year.

Sky rides are probably done for until early/mid July.

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
This heat is terrible. The Monsoons are forecasted to arrive between the 6th and 9th. Lets hope they do, I imagine Snowbowl and Coleman are taking a pretty good hit right now from a lack of summer operations.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This heat is terrible. The Monsoons are forecasted to arrive between the 6th and 9th. Lets hope they do, I imagine Snowbowl and Coleman are taking a pretty good hit right now from a lack of summer operations.

I saw NOAA has us looking at above average precip for next month or two, hope that is true.

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
This Monsoon season is pretty epic to say the least. There's been around 12 or more inches of precip recorded at some locations on the Peaks in the last two weeks!

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I don't know which lifts they use for summer but my hypothesis Cyclone replacement or other heavy maintenance required.

I heard a unofficial rumor from s local that Cyclone may be down for good. Grain of salt.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd be curious to know how the tribe is doing in general with all of their investments. That will tell the future of Sunrise. They need to start investing in infrastructure but I wonder if the cash is there and the customers? Snowbowl has to be killing their sales.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had asked Snowbowl a few years ago about widening that upper catwalk. They didn't respond, but then again i really did not expect to hear back.
Regardless of the new Chondola, my thoughts about the widening were specifically for enhancing the experience. In its present state, the catwalk is just plain awkward on a busy day. Too narrow and picks up speed around a corner, sending skiers/riders into wall or other people who are hesitating about entering the bowl . Is it just me, or have any of you had to use the Ski Patrol method of snowplow (one ski forward, one turned in) to slow down so as not to run into the snowboarders taking the entire width of the catwalk?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This was a snap from a video I took of the road in front of our house last night. (NM) Guess you gotta be careful how hard you pray for rain!
River Road_Moment.jpg

TS
raisingarizona

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any flooding damage in town or up on the mountain? That is some crazy rain!

Just in Timberline below the Shultz Fire area. They had some serious flooding. We just got seriously hammered this afternoon. It was nuts!

NPhoenix

Joe G
Skier
I had asked Snowbowl a few years ago about widening that upper catwalk. They didn't respond, but then again i really did not expect to hear back.
Regardless of the new Chondola, my thoughts about the widening were specifically for enhancing the experience. In its present state, the catwalk is just plain awkward on a busy day. Too narrow and picks up speed around a corner, sending skiers/riders into wall or other people who are hesitating about entering the bowl . Is it just me, or have any of you had to use the Ski Patrol method of snowplow (one ski forward, one turned in) to slow down so as not to run into the snowboarders taking the entire width of the catwalk?

The catwalks are always dicey on a busy day. Mostly the fear of the inexperienced not knowing what to do or too many people clogging it up. I always keep my head on a swivel and get off it as fast as possible.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier

I don't mind the Upper (Spur) Catwalk. In theory, most of the folks using it should be "advanced", or at least not complete beginners, so the traffic seems to flow fairly well down it. I'm usually dropping into the trees, or heading down White Lightening, so rarely get to the end where it bottlenecks. Of course a lot of the problems could be resolved if people (snowboarders!) didn't just hang out in the neck of the turn and force others to cut the corner at speed, or brake as they exit the catwalk.

Now that the new sixpack is dumping so many beginners off mid mountain, the bigger issue is for me is the Midway Catwalk down to Logjam. There are times where it is almost impassable with falling beginners and people running out of speed. It also suffers at the exit where it dumps out with little space for folks to slow down or turn. People wanting to get to the Humphreys side have to keep up their speed to hit the trail, everyone else is trying to stop, there is a black run feeding in from above and many folks like to get air off the lip of the trail where it enters the bowl. That whole catwalk could use being regraded, widened and the exit area redesigned. Thankfully I usually take Volcano or Lower Gully down, but it is a mess.

I know it is unlikely to happen, but I have always felt that a mid mountain lift that serves the more advanced terrain, and removes the need to return to the base, would really help the flow around the resort. Well, at least my flow.

Sponsor

Staff online