• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tape toe warmer to outside of boot?

GordonFreeman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If you tape a toe warmer to the outside of boot, will it work?
I;m trying to find a solution but my boots are tight so finding it difficult to keep the toe warmer stuck to my toes when putting my foor in the boot.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you have Boot Gloves, you can put the toe warmers between then and the shell. While they won't warm the feet, they will help the boot from getting as cold as they would without them.

boot-glove.jpg

Warm feet start with an ounce of prevention. Make sure the boot/liner is dry, A heated bootbag like the @KULKEA Thermal Trekker will dry your boots over night then start your day in a dry warm boot. Boot heaters like the Therm-ic C-Pack takes up no room in the boot and keep your feet warm. Sidas makes a Merino wool custom insole that is also warmer than a traditional custom footbed (review coming). Clean dry socks also make a huge difference. These are jsut a few things that might help.

TS
G

GordonFreeman

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Can't afford an in boot heater yet :) I use fresh socks and I warm up the boot with warmers on the way up to the ski hill. I guess then I need a trick to keep the toe warmer in place whilst sliding my foot in. Maybe stick the toe warmer to the inside top of the liner and slide foot in after?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can't afford an in boot heater yet :) I use fresh socks and I warm up the boot with warmers on the way up to the ski hill. I guess then I need a trick to keep the toe warmer in place whilst sliding my foot in. Maybe stick the toe warmer to the inside top of the liner and slide foot in after?
Toe warmers in a snug fitting boot, just do not work. In fact they are counter productive because they take up volume annd can stop blood flow...making for colder feet. Try using hand warmers in the boot before you put them on. Put the hand warmers in the boot before you leave the house to warm the liner. Make sure you remove the before putting the boots on though ;) Use the warmed warmers in yoru pockets for the rest of the day.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've tried putting the hand warmer, not the toe, in between the shell and the boot glove. It sort of works. It keeps the shell more supple. But you'll need to replace at least once during the day.

Save for the boot heaters....well worth it.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Using my experience as a mechanical engineer who designs cooling solutions for electronics, I would say:

1. Yes, adding a heat warmer on the outside of the boot will warm your feet. The effect will be minimal because there are several insulators between the warmer and your foot.
  2. The heat warmer will transfer most of its heat to the air outside of the boot, since there is less insulation and the high convective heat transfer to the air moving past the heat warmer.
  3. Eventually, the heat will be radiated into outer space where the average temperature of the universe is approximately 3 degrees K (3 C above absolute zero). This is a necessary condition to keeping time moving forward by increasing the entropy of the universe.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just a clarification...these warmers will NOT keep your feet warm, at most they will help minimize the cold.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone done the sticking it to the leg above the boot?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Yes the toe warmer will work. Unfortunately it won't keep your toes warm. Between the shell & liner it may not get enough air to heat up properly and won't heat through the liner.

Things to try would be a Boot Glove. Or know that testing has proven that a warmer hat & warmer core layers will allow your body to send more warm blood to your extremities.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The toe warmers will just get cold, even with a boot glove. I found it to be very ineffective when I tried it. Boot Gloves alone are just as good. (They work marginally well if you ask me.)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If you tape a toe warmer to the outside of boot, will it work?
I;m trying to find a solution but my boots are tight so finding it difficult to keep the toe warmer stuck to my toes when putting my foor in the boot.

Externally applied toe warmers have proven to be a major contributor to global climate change.

Don't do it!

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Hand warmers inside a boot glove works way better than you think.

When I was a race coach we used to take the footbeds out to have enough room for a foot warmer. That didn’t ski well but it was good for standing around at races.

mm

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone done the sticking it to the leg above the boot?

I do this on really cold days. I use the larger body patches with adhesive on my shin just above the top of my boot. I "believe" it makes a difference.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Toe warmers were designed to go on top of the toes. Put them as far forward on your sock on your big toes as possible.
Most rec boots should have room for them. You can have your boot fitter give a little punch if you need extra room. I mentioned in another thread about them that I saw Mikaela Shiffrin take off her boots after a race and she had them on. I imagine her boots fit pretty tight.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I put them on top of my toes and with care I can get my feet in to my boots. I am not in plugs but my boots are pretty snug.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend group does an annual outing at night into the woods where we tromp through the snow, then stand around a bonfire drinking gluhwein and eating fondu. I stuck the toe warmers on the outside of my base layer on my lower back, and one on each arm. Toasty!

I can't imagine being able to fit some inside my boot, but my daughter can. She's 11.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Here's my trick and it works great. I use a sock liner and a thin sock. The toe warmer goes on TOP of the toes on the liner, and then put the thin sock on. So the warmer is between the liner and the sock. No trouble at all getting the boots on.

And the warmers DO keep your feet from getting cold. On days in the single digits, without them I would be taking foot warmup breaks every hour or so. With them, my feet don't start to feel cold unlit late afternoon as they start to die.

Sponsor

Staff online