• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tape toe warmer to outside of boot?

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
We get an occasional cool ski day in MT, but I never had luck with chemical toe warmers actually keep my toes warm in my ski boots. The chemical warmers need oxygen to work and don't get much in my sk boots and moisture stops the exothermic reaction. Boot gloves work for me to keep my feet warm on cold days. In extremely cold days I put antiperspirant on my hands and feet to keep my mittens and socks dry so the insulation doesn't get damp. My bride loves her electric toe warmers until the batteries discharge.

garylk

Booting up
Skier
Before my daughter had her own boots with electric heaters, we'd keep her toe warmers in place with a piece of athletic/training tape Run a strip from on top of your toes to a couple of inches past the warmer. Might be a little annoying to remove at days end, but that warmer will stay put.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The other weekend, it was subzero. My toes were freezing and hurting. I asked my 8-year old student, who had neither hand warmers nor toe warmers, whether or not his fingers were cold. No. Toes? No. Though the resort doesn’t give us chits for it, and I would have to spring for it myself, I asked if he would like some hot chocolate. Thank god he said yes!

His boots have a furry liner.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
We get an occasional cool ski day in MT, but I never had luck with chemical toe warmers actually keep my toes warm in my ski boots. The chemical warmers need oxygen to work and don't get much in my sk boots and moisture stops the exothermic reaction. Boot gloves work for me to keep my feet warm on cold days. In extremely cold days I put antiperspirant on my hands and feet to keep my mittens and socks dry so the insulation doesn't get damp. My bride loves her electric toe warmers until the batteries discharge.

Chemical toe warmer packets have larger breathing holes in the wrapper to better suit the 'tight' situation of being in the enclosed boot. Hand warmers and foot warmers are 'different' in that way.

Also, Chemical warmers (Fe ) REQUIRE moisture to be effective. The activated carbon, along with a cellulose or vermiculite filler are meant to hold water to facilitate the reaction.

OH! Fe + O2 + H2O = Fe (OH) = 96 kcal/mole

It is the 96 kcal that is the heat. Hydrogen is easily obtained from water.

By weight, hand warmers are good for about 34 Calories per two element package.

The warm feeling is often very welcome!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Try dropping a toe or hand warmer in the snow or sink and see how your oxidation equation changes.

Melting water ice takes considerable energy. The heat of transformation of water being what it is and all. (80 cal /g)
The heat packs give up their output and you can not feel the temperature change. It's not that the 'rusting' process stops, it is a matter of the heat output being overwhelmed with mass to heat.

34 Calories is about equal to 'burning' a half a slice of wonder bread.

but please, go ahead, rearrange the equation to include additional water.

What changes?

Only the temperature of the water not included in the transformation ...

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
When I was a kid I would get cold toes in my old leather boots. My Dad would say "bite on your thumb" then he would ask "are your toes still cold?" I would answer "I don't know, my thumb hurts too much to tell"

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
When it gets really cold I go inside.

One thing that has worked well for me: lift the ski to a 90* bent knee and pound on the quad. That moves blood out of the quad to the heart. This allows blood to flow out of the foot which makes room for warm blood from the leg. Do it before the feet get cold and try it every time you stop if necessary.

And of course... full arm circles to push the blood to the hands. That works too.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spouse uses a boot glove, part of the deal there is keeping snow build up directly on the boot that then may result in melting snow which I'll presume sucks away more heat as snow melts,

Boot Gloves can often be found on sale, even got my spouses last set for $10.

kids always used to warmers, I'd simply use green masking / painters tape to tape their flat edge to the boots footbeds. I've swapped out some footbeds to thinner ones if toes are tight but keeping them flat first helps keep them from bunching up and giving a lumpy feel under toes.

I use them rarely but have had the toe warmer form under my toes to form to the shape ... maybe cause squeeze my toes forward and back helping them shape.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I stick the toe warmers to my socks in the lodge and give them 5-10 minutes to start working before I put my feet in my boots. It takes the edge off the chill of my toes. I am still planning to invest in either socks or boot heaters.

Sponsor

Staff online