• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggest a ski to replace my 1st generation Brahmas

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
I’m 5’9” tall, about 190 lbs, solid advanced skier. I ski 35-40 days a season, all at Stowe.

I prefer bumps and trees, but definitely need a ski with good to great edge grip...some days conditions dictate a groomer day and I throughly enjoy ripping off tight carves, and even when conditions are good there is a spot or two with a mandatory ice covered pitch.

My Brahmas have been excellent skis overall. I would have liked a bit of a shorter turn bias, I lean more towards slalom turns than gs, but I do like to let them run from time to time too. I wouldn’t mind SLIGHTLY softer tips and SLIGHTLY stiffer tails in the bumps. I definitely like their maneuverability in the trees.

So why am I looking for new skis? Because the edges are ripping out...no obvious impacts, about 6” of edge started coming out when I was skiing groomers last weekend.

The 2018 Brahmas are an obvious starting point for consideration. Should I be concerned about durability?

I also tried Stockli Stormrider 88s recently for a day, they were nice, but didn’t wow me. I feel like I should be able to find a ski that works as well for me for a lot less money.

I have a pair of Rustler 10s, so definitely looking for something in the 80s, not the 90s.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I just sold my 1st gen brahmas and found the 2017 Kendo had roughly the same edge grip but was quicker to initiate at slower speeds and was a little more playful. I tested the 2nd gen Brahma in 186 for grins, stable as hell, but a little to long for me, I should have gone shorter.

I'd have zero worry on durability with either.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the new Brahma is a good place to start. As far as the edge pulling out, I have yet to see an edge pull out on a Blizzard ski that didn't have some impact to start it...especially while JSA (Just Skiing Along) on groomer.;) So I would not be worried about that.

Skis that I like that have a tighter have a bit more turn than the Brahma and still will do what you are asking it to do, Armada Invictus 89Ti and the new 2019 DPS Foundation Cassiar 87.

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
I just sold my 1st gen brahmas and found the 2017 Kendo had roughly the same edge grip but was quicker to initiate at slower speeds and was a little more playful. I tested the 2nd gen Brahma in 186 for grins, stable as hell, but a little to long for me, I should have gone shorter.

I'd have zero worry on durability with either.

Hmmm, I had definitely thought the Kendo might be worth a look. Thank you for the suggestion.

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
Yes, the new Brahma is a good place to start. As far as the edge pulling out, I have yet to see an edge pull out on a Blizzard ski that didn't have some impact to start it...especially while JSA (Just Skiing Along) on groomer.;) So I would not be worried about that.

Skis that I like that have a tighter have a bit more turn than the Brahma and still will do what you are asking it to do, Armada Invictus 89Ti and the new 2019 DPS Foundation Cassiar 87.

They do have about 150 days, and have definitely had some impacts, but nothing catastrophic or that is still visible. I’m definitely sad to see them go.

The Cassiar definitely sounds interesting.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I tried the 2017 Brahma (173, 180) and 2017 Kendo (177) last year and eventually bought the Kendo (177) for this season.

I am 215 lbs, 6'0" advanced skier, aspiring to be an expert.

The two skis are similar, but ultimately I chose the Kendo because:
-Brahma encouraged me to ski fast all the time. The ski seems to want to be on edge at high speed as much as possible. Lots of fun, but hard to resist... I thought it would get me into trouble eventually. Kendo doesn't have a speed limit that I have found yet... it just doesn't seem to want you to go fast as badly as the Brahma does.
-Kendo felt more versatile and fun in soft snow and at lower speeds. Brahma had a bit more bias to the groomer, higher speeds, and hard snow.
-Kendo was better in bumps. This I think is mainly due to Brahma wanting to be on edge all the time. It was easier to skid the Kendo (maybe just a tuning issue?)
-Kendo was more interesting to ski. It responds more to varied inputs. Brahma felt more like it was on autopilot (maybe a tuning issue again?) and I didn't get the same variety out of the ski, though what it did do was certainly fun.
-Brahma is amazing in crud. Kendo, not as good. This is what I miss most about the Brahma. Brahma went through crud like it wasn't there. Definitely bounced around more in crud on Kendo. Or maybe the crud was different :) ?

So I guess it depends on what you want -- if you want to give up crud performance, hard snow edge grip (Brahma) for versatility and lower speed performance (Kendo). Both skis felt similar in stiffness.

YMMV!

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier

They do have about 150 days, and have definitely had some impacts, but nothing catastrophic or that is still visible. I’m definitely sad to see them go.

The Cassiar definitely sounds interesting.
I tried the 2017 Brahma (173, 180) and 2017 Kendo (177) last year and eventually bought the Kendo (177) for this season.

I am 215 lbs, 6'0" advanced skier, aspiring to be an expert.

The two skis are similar, but ultimately I chose the Kendo because:
-Brahma encouraged me to ski fast all the time. The ski seems to want to be on edge at high speed as much as possible. Lots of fun, but hard to resist... I thought it would get me into trouble eventually. Kendo doesn't have a speed limit that I have found yet... it just doesn't seem to want you to go fast as badly as the Brahma does.
-Kendo felt more versatile and fun in soft snow and at lower speeds. Brahma had a bit more bias to the groomer, higher speeds, and hard snow.
-Kendo was better in bumps. This I think is mainly due to Brahma wanting to be on edge all the time. It was easier to skid the Kendo (maybe just a tuning issue?)
-Kendo was more interesting to ski. It responds more to varied inputs. Brahma felt more like it was on autopilot (maybe a tuning issue again?) and I didn't get the same variety out of the ski, though what it did do was certainly fun.
-Brahma is amazing in crud. Kendo, not as good. This is what I miss most about the Brahma. Brahma went through crud like it wasn't there. Definitely bounced around more in crud on Kendo. Or maybe the crud was different :) ?

So I guess it depends on what you want -- if you want to give up crud performance, hard snow edge grip (Brahma) for versatility and lower speed performance (Kendo). Both skis felt similar in stiffness.

YMMV!

Great info, I’ll try to get out on some Kendos.

Lance

Booting up
Skier
I’m 5’9” tall, about 190 lbs, solid advanced skier. I ski 35-40 days a season, all at Stowe.

I prefer bumps and trees, but definitely need a ski with good to great edge grip...some days conditions dictate a groomer day and I throughly enjoy ripping off tight carves, and even when conditions are good there is a spot or two with a mandatory ice covered pitch.

My Brahmas have been excellent skis overall. I would have liked a bit of a shorter turn bias, I lean more towards slalom turns than gs, but I do like to let them run from time to time too. I wouldn’t mind SLIGHTLY softer tips and SLIGHTLY stiffer tails in the bumps. I definitely like their maneuverability in the trees.

So why am I looking for new skis? Because the edges are ripping out...no obvious impacts, about 6” of edge started coming out when I was skiing groomers last weekend.

The 2018 Brahmas are an obvious starting point for consideration. Should I be concerned about durability?

I also tried Stockli Stormrider 88s recently for a day, they were nice, but didn’t wow me. I feel like I should be able to find a ski that works as well for me for a lot less money.

I have a pair of Rustler 10s, so definitely looking for something in the 80s, not the 90s.
I'm skiing the 2018 Brahmas and I think they fit exactly what you're looking for. All the good of the old Brahmas, but they can make a tighter turn and they feel more responsive than the previous generation. I only have 3 or 4 days on them so I can't speak to durability yet.

FWIW I'm 5'9" 165 and skiing the 173's.

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
New Brahma is going to be my recommendation, it has the fixes you (and I ;) ) wanted. It's a bit tighter and quicker between turns while being more stable than the alternatives (Aside from Kastle), I got to try out a friend's pair for a few runs and I loved them, as a matter of fact I loved them so much I just got a pair of 2018s as a Christmas gift for myself. They are awesome skis and are very different from my 2013-2014 Brahmas. Now as far as durability goes, I am unaware of durability issues so, I may just not be in the know but, I know people who have had them for months and have done quite a few days and have had no issues other than a few topsheet scuffs and the occasional scratch, just normal wear. Probably your best move is to get the new ones, the changed pretty much exactly what you had issues with!

FYI: When I say alternatives I am saying the Kendo, I really don't like the Kendo. It in my opinion fixes the flaws of the Brahma while taking away from what's so awesome about the Brahma :nono: though... I can see why people do like them since it is a bit easier than the Brahma in its turn initiation, and is way more playful in comparison.
DNracee_-uZAKZegV6tITG34OUos8GLPFJXI0EcNS26LB52wFV2WC36nVJvN7WGmEE1UBM9HniSsUAyKmiPLF_xFf0CeZL0z-1vH_A0s_p2dmgFShC-3FDtLRykrvqlrjzPzXBHXN1gYK87WwHp_JOMac37VQk9ITJQ8wYdHH9ruB8Uj8wp5xasOmKxNFBGlIFDP3KGLbIdMSEaIujPNbKaVa-YxfVhWuWEsSz9E0w70k9ILzAEg5tjVYKDwJ4FOPkBiyH-pgddhsx6OHz8PceLx1UMw0ZjRRJ4SGNGieGMfzQs3cNYq_tBM8q1K6bXqUgGwprU1EZeZYg7Ao2SNFLTbNkDziA9EiyEFAk55eIQXT4ZL8zRzwDZ0T_JxMDCixT9nEfWxbSeBZoEE6UtiifFqS70AhxN5yAt7uxas53B25eOx7Qtxx9nO-aAMy57t05F_HADiDzYtoFJ2FtfsRPMU90YQdKN7psmRtUOTOAeMHJ6s0nuP6iBfhSLjH6IFLlSsjQc4x08djVGhGH910GFbyd6R2a5S9XQ26pvf0YldWu0SyHyq2hnS-PN21PfMYaQZtHAho5D50qhP5lRwipvGVRMgrvhCTyt3GRo=w609-h811-no

(Edit: Here's my new Brahmas!)

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Better on Groomers way more damp, but slight more work in trees and bumps, different but equal in 'crud", for sure sinky in powder = Head Monster 83 or 88, the 177 skis much longer than a 180 OG brahma.

Better at tight carved turns, groomer crud, powder, and edge grip, but slight worse at extremely icey off piste(too much shape) and larger turns due to tight turn radius. = Salomon XDR 84.....the 80 and 88 ski very similarly. The 179 skis slightly longer than the 180cm OG braham

MUCH better at powder, tree and good bumps. Equal in harder bumps and kinda of soft on groomers = Fisher Ranger 90. The sizing is a little weird on this one, the 179 skis shorter than a 180 braham.

and the one ski I havent actually skied on. The new Brahma.....on paper looks better and according to people in the know new one of the same size skis longer and more stable while still be turny than the old one. IMO the OG Brahma is a great off piste skis especially in really crappy conditions. Where the 180 feel short for me was groomer stabilty on cut up groomers, and it also felt chore like to me in powder, any time I try to go fast on it, I always felt off balance. I honestly should have gotten the 187cm because I find my 187cm Bonafides more forgiving most of the time except in really tight bumps and trees and even there the 187 Bones is manageable freeskiing.

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
Better on Groomers way more damp, but slight more work in trees and bumps, different but equal in 'crud", for sure sinky in powder = Head Monster 83 or 88, the 177 skis much longer than a 180 OG brahma.

Better at tight carved turns, groomer crud, powder, and edge grip, but slight worse at extremely icey off piste(too much shape) and larger turns due to tight turn radius. = Salomon XDR 84.....the 80 and 88 ski very similarly. The 179 skis slightly longer than the 180cm OG braham

MUCH better at powder, tree and good bumps. Equal in harder bumps and kinda of soft on groomers = Fisher Ranger 90. The sizing is a little weird on this one, the 179 skis shorter than a 180 braham.

The Heads don’t sound like the right balance of trade offs, so I will skip them.

I have a personal bias against Salomons, I think they are too soft and lacking in edge grip. I realize that is probably isolated to some specific skis from years ago, but since there are other good options, I’ll skip it as well. Personal note, I have a similar,and probably equally invalid, bias against K2s...hey at least I know I’m probably off base my dislike for those brands.

For the Fischers, any idea where I could find a demo? I haven’t seen the any Stowe shops to take for a spin.

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything about Kassel FX85s (HP or non) mentioned, are they not a match for what I’m looking for?

Also, what about Stockli AXs, they have popped up in a couple of reviews, would have thought they were too front side biased, but the reviews sound like they could be really good due to profile...I’m a bit dubious though.

I’m not looking to spend all season demoing skis, so having the input from this group to identify a handful of skis to investigate, and hopefully narrow down to 1-3 to demo, ideally in the same day, is a big help.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
your welcome to try my XDRs when I get them mounted...whats your BSL?

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
You should check out the Nordica Navigator 85 or 90, they are better skis than they are being marketed as. The Kastle FX85 could be a good choice as well, I find them a bit polarizing, some people really like them, others do not. Worth a demo for sure. As for Fischer, the Pro Mtn 86 would be more comparable to the Brahma, IMO. I like the Ranger series, but they have a very 'Off-Piste' bias, not as 50/50 as the Pro Mtn.

TrueNorth

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anybody able to give a rundown of the different generations of the Brahma? Is the current (2018) version the 2nd or 3rd generation?

VON

Booting up
Skier
I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything about Kassel FX85s (HP or non) mentioned, are they not a match for what I’m looking for?

Also, what about Stockli AXs, they have popped up in a couple of reviews, would have thought they were too front side biased, but the reviews sound like they could be really good due to profile...I’m a bit dubious though.

I’m not looking to spend all season demoing skis, so having the input from this group to identify a handful of skis to investigate, and hopefully narrow down to 1-3 to demo, ideally in the same day, is a big help.

If you can find the AX's for a good price, I'd spring for them. They have rock solid edge grip, and I found them to be very good in the bumps. I'd also say they might be a little better at the shorter radius carves you're talking about versus the Brahma because they are slightly softer in the tips and also, if I remember correctly, they have a slightly shorter turn radius. Overall, I think the Laser AX is a more forgiving ski than the Brahma, but is still a ski than can be pushed hard and deliver.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
In about an hour I am going to pick up my new 2018 Brahmas from the shop, where I am having the bindings mounted up in anticipation of finally getting some new snow.
I will let you know.
:daffy:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anybody able to give a rundown of the different generations of the Brahma? Is the current (2018) version the 2nd or 3rd generation?
The 2018 is the second generation but there were two evolutions of the first, 1 and 1A which the latter had the carbon extremities. Actually there is another generation called the Brahma CA, which is the trasition generation. the SP was to be a rental ski with the shape of the 2018 but a different construction (beefier edges) and most akin to the new Brahma CA..which will go back to being called the Bushwacker for 2019. Confused? You should be...I am not sure I explained it the best I could, but it made sense in my head ;).

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the 2018 Brahma on my recent tip to Whistler. I'd been on my Enforcer 93s (185) for 5 days and my legs were completely trashed, to the point where I wasn't enjoying my skiing. Decided to demo a few different skis, one of which was the Brahma (180) which to be honest I wasn't optimistic about (was expecting them to be demanding/fatiguing). First run was a revelation - easier to make crisp short-medium turns at moderate speed than the Enforcers. Perhaps that's the shorter turn radius at play? Similarly excellent grip in scraped off or icy patches, and could still blast variable snow - maybe a little damper than the Enforcers. I liked them so much I took them for a loop of Blackcomb Glacier and returned them with a big smile on my face.

I'd like to ski them some more, particularly trying bigger/steeper bumps. Would like to try the CA version too.

Sponsor

Staff online