• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Suggest a ski to replace my 1st generation Brahmas

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m surprised I haven’t seen anything about Kassel FX85s (HP or non) mentioned, are they not a match for what I’m looking for?

Also, what about Stockli AXs, they have popped up in a couple of reviews, would have thought they were too front side biased, but the reviews sound like they could be really good due to profile...I’m a bit dubious though.

I’m not looking to spend all season demoing skis, so having the input from this group to identify a handful of skis to investigate, and hopefully narrow down to 1-3 to demo, ideally in the same day, is a big help.

The Kastle FX85 HP I demoed the tune of, and I own a first generation FX84 I've really liked, as an off piste, bumps and uneven terrain ski. The FX85 HP felt like it had a slightly different flex, but was still very similar in feel to my particular FX84 (there were more than one version). In trees and quick turns in bumps, it's great, but it doesn't rely on its carve: it has a very fun breakaway slarve to it and a correspondingly weaker carve. On groomers or ice, you have to be more careful to have it hold an edge/carve as well as some other skis mentioned. A stiff snow groomer ski it is not (whereas the Kendo or Brahma, for me, would do better at that).

Another ski to mention is the Black Crows Orb 90. Blistergear says it's very similar to the Kendo, but they give the nod to the Orb, for off piste and versatility, and to the Kendo on piste, seemed like. (Blister skied the 178 version; it's also in 172). I haven't skied the latest Kendo, but I did demo the 183 Orb a few weeks back, and for me it was a standout at that length, favorite of the skis I demoed that day, and probably so far this year. It's very quick/short turning when that's wanted, but is also very versatile: it has an on-edge feel similar to a Stockli, which to me is a good thing. The 183 version, at least, was wonderful on groomers also. (Me 150 lbs/5'10")

Last edited:
TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
So I had a chance to get out on Navigator 85s and new Brahmas this past weekend.

I found a lot to like about the Navigator: nice and quick edge to edge, very maneuverable and amenable to different turn shapes. Conditions were spring like, firm in the morning, and soft in the afternoon. Limited bumps and trees available, but they did great in what there was. They fell short on groomers and in chopped up or inconsistent snow. They got knocked around a bit and while stable when carving, I found if I started to load them up at speed they would start to wash out. So, unfortunately not the ski for me.

The 2018 Brahmas seem good, but i didn’t get a great test on them. Conditions were al around crusty in the morning, and I was skiing with my 5 year old for most of the day. They are diefintely more nimble and have a nice turn shape on groomers. I was able to dip into a small section of trees and they were nice there. If I had to just pull the trigger today, I would probably get them.

I also spent several days on on my Rustler 10s and was really impressed. I love how nimble they are, and they can definitely handle carving on firm snow at high speed. Just too wide for me as an everyday ski, especially the way I like to ski bumps (feet close together). If only Blizzard made a Rustler 8...same ski but mid 80s waist. Anyone know of a ski like that? Maybe the Atomic Vantage CTI 85, or a Dynastar Legend X88?

TS
R

Rodney

Booting up
Skier
Sounds interesting, though, it looks like it’s 91 underfoot, which is definitely wider than I would like. I’ll try to found a shop with them so I can check them out.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
there is a lower 90s Rustlers coming out....

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So I had a chance to get out on Navigator 85s and new Brahmas this past weekend.

I found a lot to like about the Navigator: nice and quick edge to edge, very maneuverable and amenable to different turn shapes. Conditions were spring like, firm in the morning, and soft in the afternoon. Limited bumps and trees available, but they did great in what there was. They fell short on groomers and in chopped up or inconsistent snow. They got knocked around a bit and while stable when carving, I found if I started to load them up at speed they would start to wash out. So, unfortunately not the ski for me.

The 2018 Brahmas seem good, but i didn’t get a great test on them. Conditions were al around crusty in the morning, and I was skiing with my 5 year old for most of the day. They are diefintely more nimble and have a nice turn shape on groomers. I was able to dip into a small section of trees and they were nice there. If I had to just pull the trigger today, I would probably get them.

I also spent several days on on my Rustler 10s and was really impressed. I love how nimble they are, and they can definitely handle carving on firm snow at high speed. Just too wide for me as an everyday ski, especially the way I like to ski bumps (feet close together). If only Blizzard made a Rustler 8...same ski but mid 80s waist. Anyone know of a ski like that? Maybe the Atomic Vantage CTI 85, or a Dynastar Legend X88?

I love my Monster 88's in 184cm. I think you might really like them in 177cm. They make crappy conditions fun. They just smooth out everything and have awesome edgehold. Its almost like a Kastle MX. They are stable and just awesome in chopped up snow. Mine are the old school style 16'-17' with no rocker but the new ones are a touch "friendlier". I will keep mine until they fall apart. its a ski I can trust.

LegacyGT

Putting on skis
Skier
I've tried the new Brahma and like the ski. But if I was planning to do a lot of skiing in bumps, I'd pick the Brahma CA which I found a little weaker on the hardback but much more forgiving. I ended up purchasing a pair of Atomic Vantage 90 CTi which I found to kind of split the difference between the two Brahmas.

gilgamesh0

Booting up
Skier
Lots of people like the changes to this year's Brahma, with quicker turn initiation and easier smaller turn shapes. I'm curious, is there anyone out there who still prefers the previous year's model, with its longer turn radius and deeper rocker? E.g. for charging crud and stability on longer radius turns, etc.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Lots of people like the changes to this year's Brahma, with quicker turn initiation and easier smaller turn shapes. I'm curious, is there anyone out there who still prefers the previous year's model, with its longer turn radius and deeper rocker? E.g. for charging crud and stability on longer radius turns, etc.

the older ski isnt more stable in long radius turns.......the lack of contact length basically makes that the case. it is slightly better in really weird refrozen crud and really troughed out bumps, but other than that its still a good ski, but the new one is better IMO.

if Nordica would make Navigator pro with the enforcer construction or just make and enforcer in a mid 80 width, of if Salomon, gave the XDR just one whole sheet of metal both would be contenders as well.

gilgamesh0

Booting up
Skier
the older ski isnt more stable in long radius turns.......the lack of contact length basically makes that the case. it is slightly better in really weird refrozen crud and really troughed out bumps, but other than that its still a good ski, but the new one is better IMO.

if Nordica would make Navigator pro with the enforcer construction or just make and enforcer in a mid 80 width, of if Salomon, gave the XDR just one whole sheet of metal both would be contenders as well.

Thanks for the input. Demoing recently (hope to finally get some time to put up a demo report), I spent some time on the 2018 Brahma 187 -- far too much for me, I'd be a candidate for the 180 of either gen, but I became interested in getting a very stable smooth-it-out crust and crud charging sort of ski as an alternative to the Vantage 100 (180) I just acquired.

Figured something in the 88mm range like the Brahma would be a good complement, but was leaning to something on the GS-ish side vs the Vantages, so when I saw they'd shortened the Brahma's turn radius this year, I thought maybe the prior year would be a better fit for a dedicated cruddy & variable snow charging focus (and there are still some 17's out there to be had..). Not that some additional versatility isn't welcome, but for trees or significantly softer snow etc., I'll more likely be on the Vantages.

Decent change I'll get to try a 180 this Friday, don't know yet which gen it will be though. :P ..Hoping to figure something out while the deals are still around.

I did just notice a couple reviews from dawgcatching imply maybe he prefers the previous gen Brahma in this respect. Otherwise I haven't seen many discussions that don't focus mainly on the easier turn initiation of the new one.

Max Capacity

Putting on skis
Skier
I'd highly recommend the Volkl Kendo. It really is the go to ski for the east IMO.

Yea, I'm a Volkl guy. Been on them for the past 20 years and on my 3rd pair of Kendo's. I have tried others on Demo day's, the Nordica Enforcer 93 would be the only other ski I'd consider but they are so popular I stuck with the Kendo.

I find the 2018 Kendo's seem to have better float then my 2014's. They will handle most any conditions we get in VT. Having said that, I have been on my Shiro's the past two days at Okemo and will ski them again tomorrow. Will be back on the Kendo's for Sunday.

The picture shows about 22" at mid mountain on Thursday

Attachments

• DSCN7814.JPG
    DSCN7814.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd highly recommend the Volkl Kendo. It really is the go to ski for the east IMO.

Yea, I'm a Volkl guy. Been on them for the past 20 years and on my 3rd pair of Kendo's. I have tried others on Demo day's, the Nordica Enforcer 93 would be the only other ski I'd consider but they are so popular I stuck with the Kendo.

I find the 2018 Kendo's seem to have better float then my 2014's. They will handle most any conditions we get in VT. Having said that, I have been on my Shiro's the past two days at Okemo and will ski them again tomorrow. Will be back on the Kendo's for Sunday.

The picture shows about 22" at mid mountain on Thursday

Max C,

What size Shiro you have?.....I have a 193 I’ve been skiing a few years, and looking to pass on to someone? Know anyone who might be interested? (It is in great shape....I’m a shop guy, so I take good care of my gear)

gilgamesh0

Booting up
Skier
Blister recently put up a review of the new (current) Brahma 180, and they were very complimentary (though didn't talk much specifically about stability through rough groomers and crud).

What was interesting to me was their specs measurement -- a number of reviews said that Blizzard lowered the rocker in this iteration, but Blister measured the tip splay as having *increased*. And by a non-trivial amount, from ~ 48mm to 69mm, and the former was for the 187. (Tail splay they said was essentially the same, though with a deeper rocker line actually.)

So that's pretty odd, I'm not sure why the discrepancy, unless it was a measurement snafu (though I did just see a new pair up close, and the tip splay certainly seemed noticeable). They said the tip rocker line is fairly deep on both, maybe it's that much deeper on the older one?

Sponsor

Staff online