• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stones for the Toko base bevel WC guide

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I received DMT files today.
It is the first time to use long diamond files.
And I'm so disappointed with them.
None of them are flat.
I was able to notice it even with the naked eye.

How about Toko, Swix, T4B, Sidecut, and Moonflex?
Pretty flat? or similar with DMT?

View attachment 227004 View attachment 227005

I have found the same. Gives me impetus to create my own diamond files using the thick aluminum stock and KGS paper, that will fit in my base bevel guides.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I have found the same. Gives me impetus to create my own diamond files using the thick aluminum stock and KGS paper, that will fit in my base bevel guides.
I ordered a bunch cut 22mm x 120mm. If you want some, as a thanks for the idea and sharing this DIY project, send me your address. Not sure yet when I’ll see them. Might be a couple weeks (+/-).

I do think I will make a Toko beveler block too, but would need dimensions or I’ll order one.

James

Out There
Instructor
Atoma 1 x 4 inch plates are apparently 5mm plus the diamond. Not sure if that makes them 5.5 or 5.3mm.

However, the 1x6 inch plates appear to be on a 3mm backing. (From amazon description) I think the total would be about 4mm. Should call Jende.

You can also get the Atoma diamond system on the 1mm metal plate with pressure sensitive adhesive on it, 1x6inches. You’d need a backing. I think this is what Jende is using with a 3mm backing.

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
Thank you all information.

I'm thinking 2 options.
1. get T4B diamond replacement sheets and make my own backers with the aluminum here.
2. get T4B hone files and grind them about 0.5~1mm on the backside with the belt grinder.

What do you think?

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
Years ago I gave up on Svst diamond strips. I found they’re slightly flexible and don’t make a flat edge but slightly curved. (Only used on side edges.) One tech I talked to called this “mushrooming”.

You’re better off getting a deal on moonflex or whatever. It you must, for diamond strips look to the Japanese stuff from Atoma prob available for knife sharpening jigs. It’s been awhile since I looked but I have their large plates, like 3x8 inches.
Oh, I didn't know that Atoma makes narrow small files. I have 2 Atoma diamond plates for the flattening job of whetstones. :)
My another hobby is fishing & sashimi.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you all information.

I'm thinking 2 options.
1. get T4B diamond replacement sheets and make my own backers with the aluminum here.
2. get T4B hone files and grind them about 0.5~1mm on the backside with the belt grinder.

What do you think?

3. Since you have diamond files in hand, I'd try them first with a pressure block. If you had access to a 3d Printer I could send you files to print.

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
3. Since you have diamond files in hand, I'd try them first with a pressure block. If you had access to a 3d Printer I could send you files to print.
Well, I am not interested in DMT stones anymore since I received. I'm gonna use them at the side edge job.
I just want good quality flat stones with the reasonable price.
Thank you anyway.

Sponsor