• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Stones for the Toko base bevel WC guide

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
Tools4Boards 4" stone

Is there anybody who used T4B Hone diamond stones with the Toko base bevel WC guide?
toko.T4B.jpg

I saw a review that this stone was too thick for the guide. (Toko and Swix)
If these Hone stones are too thick, what should I buy?

DMT 4" whetstone?
DMT.4inch.jpg

PeterMN

Booting up
Skier
Maybe not the best help.

I had this tool about 20 years ago... back then the dmt stones did fit.

i ended up switching to a beast and then when the beast broke i just went with the svst... been using svst exclusively for just about everything since...

But for sure that is the downside to that tool... a lot of stones will not fit.

Best of luck

pmn

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
Maybe not the best help.

I had this tool about 20 years ago... back then the dmt stones did fit.

i ended up switching to a beast and then when the beast broke i just went with the svst... been using svst exclusively for just about everything since...

But for sure that is the downside to that tool... a lot of stones will not fit.

Best of luck

pmn
Thanks for sharing your experience.

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
After the short study, I have 2 questions.
1. DMT 4" vs Swix eco 100mm
Actual diamond surface of Swix might be 80mm.
2. I saw 2 product codes of the 4" stone. A4F and WS4F with the same "fine" grade. What is different? Just explain aligner and whetstone with same stones?

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
It could happen. It’d be super easy. I’ve been thinking about that. What is the maximum thickness?
I have 0.5 and 0.75 toko WC base bevel guide.
I checked the maximum gap of them with the steel ruler, DMT 70mm stone, and thin plastic cards.
It was 5.4mm. (I added a plastic card one by one until it touched the top.)
Practically, 5mm is fine, easy installation.
5.2mm might be the maximum.

By the way, I have 4 70mm DMT stones.
Their thickness was 3.85~4.02mm. (XX-coarse new stone was 4.02mm).

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 0.5 and 0.75 toko WC base bevel guide.
I checked the maximum gap of them with the steel ruler, DMT 70mm stone, and thin plastic cards.
It was 5.4mm. (I added a plastic card one by one until it touched the top.)
Practically, 5mm is fine, easy installation.
5.2mm might be the maximum.

By the way, I have 4 70mm DMT stones.
Their thickness was 3.85~4.02mm. (XX-coarse new stone was 4.02mm).
I'm surprised you don't have a stick-on diamond paper solution. Get on it, quick. :D

Protoype #1: 5.25mm w/replacement strip. The carbon-PETG backing is more flexible than Moonflexes. The real nice T4B cast aluminum backing is rigid:

38DE1943-C0EE-4B3E-942D-0860A29F0C6F_4_5005_c.jpeg

2E7BA623-A893-4FC1-BA9D-C08EBE9FD425_1_102_a.jpeg

Tools4Board Replacement strips I have are 80 mm. The newer Hones come in 95mm lengths x 100x (x-coarse), 200x(coarse), 400x(medium), 800x(fine) & 1500x (x-fine).

The SVST replacement strips come in 120 grit, 220 Grit, 400 Grit & 600 Grit x 101mm lengths.

So these would need to be printed w/grits and/or coarseness with typical colors by grit to work for both manufacturers and multiple lengths.......or come up with a generic format with stickers or something.

Last edited:
TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
I received DMT files today.
It is the first time to use long diamond files.
And I'm so disappointed with them.
None of them are flat.
I was able to notice it even with the naked eye.

How about Toko, Swix, T4B, Sidecut, and Moonflex?
Pretty flat? or similar with DMT?

20240226_205212.jpg
20240226_205219.jpg

TS
H

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
Protoype #1: 5.25mm w/replacement strip. The carbon-PETG backing is more flexible than Moonflexes. The real nice T4B cast aluminum backing is rigid:

View attachment 225517

View attachment 225519

Tools4Board Replacement strips I have are 80 mm. The newer Hones come in 95mm lengths x 100x (x-coarse), 200x(coarse), 400x(medium), 800x(fine) & 1500x (x-fine).

The SVST replacement strips come in 120 grit, 220 Grit, 400 Grit & 600 Grit x 101mm lengths.

So these would need to be printed w/grits and/or coarseness with typical colors by grit to work for both manufacturers and multiple lengths.......or come up with a generic format with stickers or something.
Where did you get newer Hones from T4B?
And... SVST replacement strips... how was the quality? Where can I buy them and... how much are they?

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago I gave up on Svst diamond strips. I found they’re slightly flexible and don’t make a flat edge but slightly curved. (Only used on side edges.) One tech I talked to called this “mushrooming”.

You’re better off getting a deal on moonflex or whatever. It you must, for diamond strips look to the Japanese stuff from Atoma prob available for knife sharpening jigs. It’s been awhile since I looked but I have their large plates, like 3x8 inches.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
And... SVST replacement strips... how was the quality? Where can I buy them and... how much are they?

SVST & Tools4Boards (along with Toko & others) are our suppliers. You can order from us, RaceWerks or Tools4Boards. In Japan, Alpine Logic carries some SVST tools and might be able to get them for you.

The Hones are dead flat and well made, but too thick for your guide. You might consider figuring out a way to fashion a Toko 'guide block' like SVST's for their Final Cut to press down on your diamonds. Using a 2nd cut to set geometry and then use your diamonds for final cutting and polishing might be good too.

tfcblock_large.jpg

The Final Cut & T4Bs Switch base bevelers do not have the locking knob and are open for the beveler:

SWITCHACEBASE_large.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online