• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboats' new Gondi is on track!

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Apparently it heats your butt and gives you the internet.
Wifi = bad. Just another thing to keep people from where they are.
Let me know the first time some screen- addicted gondi rider goes around the bullwheel and downloads before they notice :doh:. Can't be any less likely than stepping off a kerb without looking whilst glued to a phone.:rolleyes:

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
Ron - Looks like this is replacing the existing gondi, With up hill capacity a 1000 /hr more ?

Sounds like both bigger cabins and higher speed - that’s quite the upgrade.
It should clear out the morning rush a tad quicker
I'd love to be there for the first season of this new gondi, having been there for the first season of the previous one and the last season of the gondi before that...operators closing the doors and locking you in with a big old key if I recall correctly! Aahhh, the old personal touch.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rode a new gondola at Tignes last season that had comfy molded seats for 4 and had phone charging stations with different cables and had blue tooth speakers. Rode up with a couple of Germans who played Motown tunes. I was afraid I would be subjected to techno.

Looking forward to riding the new Gondi at Steamboat this coming January!

James

Out There
Instructor
Aspen had a phone hookup to play music in the gondola like 10 yrs ago. Pretty sure they got rid of it due to problems with conflicting music likes.
It’s just a bad idea.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If only WiFi .. then theory would be little difference as I know of few folks without a smart phone anyhow.

I'd actually find it entertaining if a hover mom pulled out her iPAD to connect. "Oh kids .. scoot in closer so I can get a pic uploaded for facebook"

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd actually find it entertaining if a hover mom pulled out her iPAD to connect. "Oh kids .. scoot in closer so I can get a pic uploaded for facebook"
That definitely already happens with phones. Why not an iPad?

James

Out There
Instructor
Let me know the first time some screen- addicted gondi rider goes around the bullwheel and downloads before they notice :doh:. Can't be any less likely than stepping off a kerb without looking whilst glued to a phone.:rolleyes:
Nyc attempted to get people to look up and think about safety by putting Haiku’s on lamp posts by crosswalks. That was 2011, when it wasn’t as bad with phones as now.

Maybe a laser light show at the end of the gondola will get them out.

CD3F8145-9953-427B-8907-226A249CAC59.png
https://nyulocal.com/nyc-dot-putting-wry-haiku-on-traffic-signs-45340408a03f

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...when it wasn’t as bad with phones as now...

I wonder if the stats show that it's not as much of an issue despite increased usage as people adjust and become more capable of knowing where their attention needs to be.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if the stats show that it's not as much of an issue despite increased usage as people adjust and become more capable of knowing where their attention needs to be.

No.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That definitely already happens with phones. Why not an iPad?

thinking of those with only WiFi and no cellular hook up. I just recall and still see at school functions moms pull these out for photos, video and hold them up. Only note them as a 10 inch device stands out.

just seems funny in a quaint way to me

Sponsor

Staff online