• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Squaw Valley Name Change

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Love your disclaimer: "In case you’re really dense. This is a work of satire and does not reflect the views of the Alterra Mountain Company, Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows or anyone else with enough money to sue us."
I can't understand why they weren't consulted...

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really, who thought Squaw Valley was offensive?
I sense you’re not kidding here, so let me point out that there was an entire thread on that here. Short answer, Native Americans, and pretty much anyone that knows the meaning and history of the word.

If they want to rename the place, at least find some way to honor the Native Americans who were stewards of land for centuries. Washoe Valley gets my vote.
That’s not a bad one.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Is there a "shaking my head" emoji?
If I wasn't such a woke person, I might be tempted to suggest renaming it Brave Valley. I would never suggest that though.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
To wear with your bargain NFL jacket from Washington and baseball cap from Cleveland?

I'll keep it always... but I don't wear it in public anymore.
1598408654928.jpeg

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While Alpine Meadows has a name...it is more localized and "B Tier" it doesn't have the drawing power that is needed for this undertaking. The renaming needs a stronger name than Alpine Meadows can provide.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
To fit with the Squallytude and to satisfy Phil's A tier billing how about FIGJAM Valley?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Alpine Valley Resort exists - its a ski hill / multi sport / concert venue in Wisconsin ;)

There are two Crystal Mountains as well. Not much confusion or complaint among either set of locals. :)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There are two Crystal Mountains as well. Not much confusion or complaint among either set of locals. :)
Same with two Blue Mountains

Sponsor