• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Squaw Valley Name Change

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied that. I started into it thinking "... why would a cat track be considered a black diamond?" I figured it out pretty quickly. :P

The day before the 2014 gathering at SLC. I gave a guided tour to an early bird attendee. We were standing on the right side of the cat walk on top of BIg Emma looking at the bumps below. He balked at thought of the bumps. So I told him to ski to the left and take the groom part of Big Emma. Just make sure not to miss the right turn onto Bass Highway. Instead, he insisted to continue on the cat walk. I warned him not to but he persisted. Mamie and I skied down and meet him on Bass Highway. Shall we say he was a few shades paler. :ogbiggrin:

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really?

Then how come red dog lift is still not upgraded?

I just texted the Alterra board of directors and will get back to you once I hear the reasoning.

OR

I'm guessing it's a business decision on how to allocate funds across their entire portfolio. They have plenty of money but it's not smart business to do everything at once.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Then how come red dog lift is still not upgraded?

New restaurants at Gold Coast first and then the base-to-base gondola.
My best guess the biggest reason why the Red Dog is on halt, is because base-to-base gondola project finally is moving after decades of dreaming. That is so strategically important it's going to take priority and precedence. Having a base-to-base is a gamechanger and going to dramatically alter what you wanted to do with Red Dog and really the entire layout and flow of the Base area.
You need to plan where the gondola endstation is going to go (i think it's going to land on Red Dog ) and how people are going to use it. That means back to the drawing board and redesign your Red Dog plans taking into consideration that the gondola base is now going to go there. You're obviously not going to put in a brand new lift, and within a couple seasons have to tear it down to put in your gondola.

They didn't pause Red Dog Lift upgrade because they are short a couple million dollars.

Yep, gondola lands on Red Dog. Layouts here:

Last edited:

NOVAsnowboarder

Old school surfer snowboarder.
Skier
And while we are at it, are they going to rename Granite Chief and Red Dog?​
What about Broken Arrow, Squaw One, Squaw Creek... I guess they don’t have to worry about renaming Papoose. I loved riding there for my 4 seasons that I lived there in the mid 1990’s, I’m sad to learn that the name was offensive... even worse, as an east coaster from the DC area, I used to snowboard at Squaw wearing a Redskins beanie. lol. oops.

jeff foreman

Putting on skis
Skier
lol, yep, but just in case someone missed my subtext and sarcasm; my faecetious post was to show how meaningless the name (and thereby the name change) is to me. The joke is I'm wearing it because it's a good deal not because I'm repping a name/team.
Really!? We used have a mountain in the Canadian Rockie's called Chinaman's peak. They changed it for good reason.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
New restaurants at Gold Coast first and then the base-to-base gondola.
My best guess the biggest reason why the Red Dog is on halt, is because base-to-base gondola project finally is moving after decades of dreaming. That is so strategically important it's going to take priority and precedence. Having a base-to-base is a gamechanger and going to dramatically alter what you wanted to do with Red Dog and really the entire layout and flow of the Base area.
You need to plan where the gondola endstation is going to go (i think it's going to land on Red Dog ) and how people are going to use it. That means back to the drawing board and redesign your Red Dog plans taking into consideration that the gondola base is now going to go there. You're obviously not going to put in a brand new lift, and within a couple seasons have to tear it down to put in your gondola.

They didn't pause Red Dog Lift upgrade because they are short a couple million dollars.

Yep, gondola lands on Red Dog. Layouts here:
What's the status with this? (Link now broken.)

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What's the status with this? (Link now broken.)
They got some updates here; but it seems like that is more to announce local closures and alerts; and not really a project timeline or details..
:huh:

Lift Blog

Getting on the lift
Industry Insider
The latest I've heard is gondola construction will be partially completed this summer. Everyone at the lift company is under NDA or I would know more. Best I can tell both a new Red Dog detachable and the gondola will open for the 2022-23 season. It looks like the current Red Dog triple can load this winter with the gondola foundation buried under snow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The latest I've heard is gondola construction will be partially completed this summer. Everyone at the lift company is under NDA or I would know more. Best I can tell both a new Red Dog detachable and the gondola will open for the 2022-23 season. It looks like the current Red Dog triple can load this winter with the gondola foundation buried under snow.
We're kind of in the same position. We know people but no one is giving up much information.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm no construction expert and I know things can accelerate rapidly, but having been at both bases in the last month -- most recently a few days ago -- and also on the slope where the proposed gondola goes up to KT....things look like they are moving slower than the construction on the TLC lift at Alpine a few years ago.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hiked the Five Lakes trail yesterday and there was one piece of heavy machinery on the slope southwest (?) of the top of KT. There were a couple of crew out there but didn't seem to be doing much when we went by. Made me a little nervous hiking on the trail below them!

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hopefully they take the time to do it right.
Anyone wonder why the zipline at Mammoth isn't running ......