• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
My buddy and I do a trip to a different place each year. We try to find the more adventurous low-key non-resort type places and enjoy steeps and "hike-to" terrain. Due to ease of flights we have been mostly around SLC and Denver with one trip to Taos. This season we wanted to branch out a bit and just booked tickets to Spokane from 3/4-3/7. We arrive around 2pm on a Sunday and depart at 630pm on Wednesday so I'm thinking of driving to Red the day we arrive and then work our way back and ski Schweitzer the day we leave.

My plan was to make as little plans as possible except for reserving the SUV and see how the weather is. I'm thinking midweek should allow us to find cheap hotels last minute in Rossland, Nelson?, and Sandpoint.

My questions are:
1. How's the drive if we do decide on the Spokane - Red - Whitewater - Schweitzer - Spokane loop?

2. If conditions are pretty even should we skip Schweitzer and do 1 day at WH2O then 2 days at Red leaving a little early on the Wed to catch our flight?

3. Are there any other areas within a 4 hour drive that I am missing that would be of interest to us? I guess 49 deg N is closed M-Th so that's not an option but I've heard good things.

4. Any recommendations for food and cheap hotels would be most appreciated.

Thanks very much for any help

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
With that short a trip, I'd just stay put at Schweitzer. Sounds like more driving/flying than skiing.

And I'd think the tag, being as we're pretty far inland, should be Northern Rockies, that other blue one. Yes, Phil has the tags lining up with States, but in terms of both airports and climate, Spokane really should be part of Northern Rockies. @Philpug ? @Pete in Idaho ? @TonyC ? @DanoT ? Maybe put Inland NW as part of the label name? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northwest_(United_States)
440px-Inland_Northwest.svg.png

I really wouldn't care, except that using the Washington border to sweep Spokane into the PNW effectively halves the Inland Northwest into two different tags.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Going from Whitewater to Schweitzer takes you over the Salmo-Creston Pass which is one of the highest, if not the highest, passes in B.C. However, other than a large sweeping corner at the start at the Salmo side, it is pretty much a straight shot up and over with no switchbacks.

While I have just a handful of days at Schweitzer and Whitefish my impression of the 2 is that they are very similar and both great. They are close enough to each other that they could be their own ski trip if going to Canada were ruled out.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really wouldn't care, except that using the Washington border to sweep Spokane into the PNW effectively halves the Inland Northwest into two different tags.

I would prefer to just have a BC region (and add everything within 100k of the border)

as to one question there are a few "cheap" motels near Rossland which should have last minute rooms.
Trail has a few more but not a big summer destination so its not as overly supplied as a lot of other ski towns in BC.
Nelson (Whitewater) has more as its also a summer destination.

I have stayed in Whitefish often and have never had a problem just showing up.
Sandpoint is also a summer destination so I would expect the same although I have never stayed there.

All motels under go renos and changes which will alter their pecking order from year to year. For costs I find it best just to google town's lodging to give yourself a idea of what the current range of prices is so you don't find out later you picked the priciest place in town to stop at. .

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
For 3 days that is a long drive.

Being one who doesn't plan stuff like this out too much, I would recommend don't. Fly into Spokane with your passports rent a car and wing it. Go where the weather map says you will see more snow or sunshine for the next few days. None of these places are Summit County you shouldn't have any problems with lodging.

With the length of your trip would recommend shortening down the drive and lengthen the skiing. Doing Red and Whitewater would work easily enough. Adding Schweitzer would be a haul though. Suspect you would be well entertained by the 2 for 3 days of skiing. I would swag this as a 400 mile drive. These areas are higher on the steep factor.

Doing Schweitzer and Silver Mountain would be very easy (you could toss Mt. Spokane, 49* North, or Lookout Pass into that for a 3rd day if you wanted and still keep the drive around 300 miles). Schweitzer and Silver are the better of the 4. You will not be bored with these for 3 days. Lots of lower priced motels around Coeur d'Alene and plethora of good restaurants that won't break the bank (walkdown Sherman Ave. and follow your nose). That would put you about an hour from the airport and about the same to either area. Sandpoint is also a very cool little lake town and you would probably choose 2 days up at Schweitzer with plan B.

Either plan is way is a trip well worth doing.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll just pick 2 places for less driving for example drive straight to Nelson for one night then Rossland for two nights. Seems like Rossland to Sandpoint would be a haul. But I will definitely wait on the details until the last minute. Thanks again

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I've done several trips out of Spokane, but this seems really short. You're getting 2 full days and most but not all of a third with that 6:30 departure. Silver is the closest to Spokane airport, though Schweitzer and Lookout would be manageable. That third day can't be in Canada if you want to get much skiing in. So you're potentially looking at one day Red and one Whitewater, then getting into the US Tuesday night.

It sure seems you should fly in Friday or Saturday. And yes be flexible; you should be able to get last minute lodging. In 2014 I was on a reserved schedule locked into Fernie and Castle at the end of February, and Canada was under Arctic high pressure with highs of 0F. Some friends flew into Spokane for a 4 day trip, saw that it was dumping in Montana and skied powder at Last Trail and Discovery while I was freezing in Canada. We met for the last powder day at Lookout. With 4 or 5 days you expand your possible ski radius into the above areas, plus Whitefish and maybe Fernie.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If the roads are clear (typical but not guaranteed) the drive to Nelson is about 3 hours 15 minutes from Spokane airport. Nelson to Rossland is about an hour. Rossland to Spokane is about 2 1/2 hours. It’s doable to get a day at Whitewater and a couple days at Red (or the reverse), then leave after skiing and catch a flight, considering in March daylight will last a lot longer than in December or January.

Schweitzer and Silver are even easier. Sandpoint is about an hour and 1/2 from Spokane airport and an easy drive. Kellogg is about 1 hours 15 minutes, and Sandpoint to Kellogg is about 1 1/2 hours. You could easily spend 3 days at Schweitzer alone.

From either Nelson or Rossland, heading to Schweitzer will take you a bit out of your way.

I would do either Schweitzer and Silver, or Whitewater and Red.

The most anti-resort trip is Red and Whitewater, and Red has serious steeps. Whitewater has the best food anywhere, that costs next to nothing.

Schweitzer has the most resort feel, but it is not overdone or fake-feeling. Nice long cruisers, great tree skiing.

Now, if I had 5-7 days to play with, a Red/White/Schweitzer/Silver week would be totally awesome.

Last edited:
TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've done several trips out of Spokane, but this seems really short. You're getting 2 full days and most but not all of a third with that 6:30 departure. Silver is the closest to Spokane airport, though Schweitzer and Lookout would be manageable. That third day can't be in Canada if you want to get much skiing in. So you're potentially looking at one day Red and one Whitewater, then getting into the US Tuesday night.

It sure seems you should fly in Friday or Saturday. And yes be flexible; you should be able to get last minute lodging. In 2014 I was on a reserved schedule locked into Fernie and Castle at the end of February, and Canada was under Arctic high pressure with highs of 0F. Some friends flew into Spokane for a 4 day trip, saw that it was dumping in Montana and skied powder at Last Trail and Discovery while I was freezing in Canada. We met for the last powder day at Lookout. With 4 or 5 days you expand your possible ski radius into the above areas, plus Whitefish and maybe Fernie.

Is it the border crossing that is of concern? I was planning on leaving Red at 2pm and that would be my 2nd day there so I figure we should be able to ski everything we want to by then. I was bummed to find out 49* wouldn't be open because that would've been right on the way to the airport for the final day. We have a time crunch due to work and never had an issue skiing almost a full day on the 3rd day in the past but that was SLC and Den. Almost missed our flight on the Taos trip.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
As a Canadian I have found US border guards to be 10x more anal than their Canadian counterparts and border crossing into the US takes longer than when heading into Canada. However as an American returning to the USA, your experience might be entirely different, just don't count on it.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I did a Schweitzer, silver, and lookout pass trip a few years ago. Schwietzer definitely has two days of fun since it's mostly open bowl skiing on the front side. Not hard but fun. I also checked out silver for the strange three mile gondala ride to the mountain from the parking lot, definitely unique. Skiing was good, lots of nooks and crannies to poke around.

Next time. For me will be the red, Whitewater loop.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this the good powder skier I skied Silver with a couple yrs ago ??

There is some tricks to skiing Red and I can help you out there and with cheap lodging, ditto with Whitewater and lodging. When you get your date and hours down let me know and I can help you out with lodging, food etc.You can also get on standbye list at Big red cats if you want. Timing is everything for good snow bad snow but we all know that. Best day of skiing in 50yrs was at Red cat skiing and worst day I have ever had was also there. PM me if you want and I will help if I can.

TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Is this the good powder skier I skied Silver with a couple yrs ago ??

There is some tricks to skiing Red and I can help you out there and with cheap lodging, ditto with Whitewater and lodging. When you get your date and hours down let me know and I can help you out with lodging, food etc.You can also get on standbye list at Big red cats if you want. Timing is everything for good snow bad snow but we all know that. Best day of skiing in 50yrs was at Red cat skiing and worst day I have ever had was also there. PM me if you want and I will help if I can.

Hi Pete! That was a great time at Silver and I'm excited to get back up in that neck of the woods again. Its another La Nina year so I hope you have a great season. I'll definitely shoot you a PM as my trip gets closer. Thanks very much for the help. Eventually I will make it back to Silver and would like to try Lookout as well. You were a great guide and awesome powder skier!!! IIRC I was with you on your first day back in the deep stuff after your injury? Hope the recovery has continued to be good and it didn't affect your golf game too much in the off season. Thanks again.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Remind me in Feb and I will look up some stuff for you to make your trip easier and more enjoyable. Recovery is ok, not a 100% but I can't complain still hitting the powder. My avatar was Silver March 3rd 2017 South of the Border, was an awesome day.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Do not come to Spokane to ski right now!
There is no Snow.
The weather is awful.
The crowds are ridiculous!

Here are pictures from 49 North today, you can see what I mean. It really was a little bony on the lower part, and personally saw 14 people on a chairlift at one time, and had to wait behind 3 people in a liftline once. There is not enough snow yet to get these old bones out in the trees yet, but it is coming (this part is the truth). Here are pictures from today to prove my point. 20171208_101428.jpg 20171208_103828.jpg 20171208_103847.jpg

Attachments

• 20171208_134019.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20171208_134019.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would love to try 49* one day. Unfortunately we will be there Mon-Wed non-holiday. IIRC they are open Thurs-Sun? I bet those powder Thursdays are amazing if that's the case. One day for sure!

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well, @Bad Bob, my experience on Saturday, December 2nd at 49° North was that they did not have enough snow due to the previous weekend's rain and warm weather. I could not avoid hidden rocks near the bottom of both lifts 5 and 1. My ski bases were damaged. And I ski carefully. I've actually never had significant base damage due to rocks before. I am unaware of any substantial snowfall since that date. So, most interesting post. Regardless of the snow depth, The Sports Creel is swamped and my skis will not be available until the 13th.

Incidentally, I had a wonderful first day of the season at 49° North back on November 17th when there was plenty of snow for the early season groomers but not for off piste skiing.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Would love to try 49* one day. Unfortunately we will be there Mon-Wed non-holiday. IIRC they are open Thurs-Sun? I bet those powder Thursdays are amazing if that's the case. One day for sure!

Their schedule shows open Friday through Tuesday, closed Wednesdays and Thursdays. Come on down. It is a fun hill but don't expect anything too steep; think Vail with Steamboat trees.
Well, @Bad Bob, my experience on Saturday, December 2nd at 49° North was that they did not have enough snow due to the previous weekend's rain and warm weather. I could not avoid hidden rocks near the bottom of both lifts 5 and 1. My ski bases were damaged. And I ski carefully. I've actually never had significant base damage due to rocks before. I am unaware of any substantial snowfall since that date. So, most interesting post. Regardless of the snow depth, The Sports Creel is swamped and my skis will not be available until the 13th.
---------------------- --------------------------------- ------------------------ ------------------

The Granite Gophers took a couple of good bites out of my bases too. This whole region needs more snow. Another 2' will make all of the difference, still not enough to get me into too thick of trees though. The groomers were amazingly good on the top 1/2 though, you just had to pay a little more attention on the bottom 1/2.

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
With that short a trip, I'd just stay put at Schweitzer. Sounds like more driving/flying than skiing.

And I'd think the tag, being as we're pretty far inland, should be Northern Rockies, that other blue one. Yes, Phil has the tags lining up with States, but in terms of both airports and climate, Spokane really should be part of Northern Rockies. @Philpug ? @Pete in Idaho ? @TonyC ? @DanoT ? Maybe put Inland NW as part of the label name? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northwest_(United_States)
440px-Inland_Northwest.svg.png

@Tricia - This is dragging up a bit of an older thread but I haven't been around much and am just exploring some of the forums again. I would echo what sibhusky is saying about the tagging of E WA and N ID. Typical parlance has PNW as the Cascades and far western region. We're really more the Inland Northwest/N. Rockies. It's the same with Interior BC versus the Coastal Range. I live in Spokane but the only WA areas I've ever skied are Mt. Spokane and 49N whereas I typically ski N ID, W MT or Interior BC. There's a lot more commonality in that geography. Food for thought.

Sponsor

Staff online